Help me see the rainbow in this?

Sailkeywest

I travel very very frequently on United for business. I'm not an employee there, but they do have a program whereby you can purchase "Economy Plus" seating for much less than a first class upgrade, but you sometimes, particularly with exit row seating, get more legroom than do the folks up front. It is still coach, but not bad at all. If you can snag a Boeing 757 flight, then the first economy section exit rows have scads of room, and their Airbus exits in Economy Plus have literally more than First. Of course you have to take your chances to score the exit seats, but it's another option for that and/or Economy Plus. Safe travels!

I really like a thread like this. It beats reading the ones where people complain (like one first time poster in princess i just read). happy happy joy joy :)

i hope you let us know how it all turns out. i'd love to know. :)

Sorry for the delay in responding, but duty always calls :)

A significant factor, you really should be aware of is the routing. It is FAR superior to sail out of Vancouver vs Seattle. Seattle is the roughest sailing potential and the least scenic. You have 2 open ocean sea days with Seattle. You have close up inside Vancouver Island scenic sailing with Vancouver.

Yes, these words ring in my head, that is why changing itineraries was a bit of a disappointment to me. We still have both reservations, and decided this morning that we would keep checking flights to see if anything new pops up (they change daily). Traveling from Seattle to Vancouver isn't that desirable to us. Like LOVETHEBEACH stated, maybe I can convince Hubby that it will be an 'adventure.' :)

And Patseacruiser, yes, I have become a HAL online stalker and am going to keep checking the openings!

If the cruise you picked means so much to you, could you just upgrade his flight and you stay with the masses? That's what I would consider. Makes everyone happy.

Mamafani, that is a great idea, I hadn't even thought of that . I'd be just fine in coach, and let him be comfortable in his fancy 'first class' seat, hehe :) I am going to look into that!

Kyriecat, thanks for the info about the train, particularly the costs of taxi from the train to the ship (I am TRYING to formulate a budget). It's true though, the ' logistics involved in getting from the Seattle airport to a hotel to the train station to the Vancouver port' is a concern to us.

Dee, that sounds like a super idea!

Sailkeywest, another rainbow: no flames, just friends.

So true, I really appreciate how great everyone is with sharing info and experiences, this forum is an invaluable and endless source of ideas and wonderful folks! I look forward to reading it each day :)

[

P.S. We looked at taking the train, Empire Builder, but the beds were one on the bottom and climb stairs to the top one. This has been DH's dream since he is a model railroader but it wouldn't work out.

Sorry to hear that you couldn't do the train, but glad that you felt great during your cruise! Thank you for sharing your story, it gives me hope :) i just don't want to risk a miserable plane experience causing him so much pain that he isn't able to enjoy the cruise.

TahoeTraveler, thank you for the insight regarding the cabins, it is that sort of 'insider info' that one just can't get from looking at website photos! Particular thanks about the info on the vibration, that was a major concern for me (glad to hear that it isn't bad). Hopefully the azipods won't be giving us trouble! Sorry to hear about your hubby, he obviously has a gem in you for 'making things work' for him. And yes, I believe everything works out for a reason :)

Timothy998, thanks for the info regarding 'Economy Plus.' I was unaware of that and will look into it!

And lastly, Babyorca, yes, Happy Happy Joy Joy all around. <3

• 7 months later...

:)

Update (just spreading our joy): A friend let us use freq flyer miles to get first class tix to Vancouver! (great friend!) So now is all said and done, the fat lady is singing :P

That is wonderful news! Now you can enjoy the cruise that you really wanted to go on!:)

Update (just spreading our joy): A friend let us use freq flyer miles to get first class tix to Vancouver! (great friend!) So now is all said and done, the fat lady is singing :P

Awesome, so now your rainbow is the fact that you've gotten to go on 2 cruises in the same calendar year. I am very jealous :-)

Lol Aria, I guess it would look that way since I made my original post so long ago. We had to postpone our dream Alaskan cruise for a year, so it has been in the planning all this time! (not 2 cruises, just the one) Anyway, happy and safe travels to all :)

Archived