Ice Wine

sped01

Does anyone know if you can order Ice wine on RCI? If you can do you know the price per glass or bottle.

I haven't seen ice wine, but there are several late harvest wines on the wine selection list. (At least there used to be anyway.) If you are mostly looking for a sweet dessert wine, one of them might work for you. As for cost... all wines are a bit pricey!

I would strongly doubt it. A lot of people confuse ice wine with late harvest wine and they are completely different products. Being Canadian, we are very familiar with it however I'm not so sure that our US neighbours have had the pleasure. :)

2P.P1

I would strongly doubt it. A lot of people confuse ice wine with late harvest wine and they are completely different products. Being Canadian, we are very familiar with it however I'm not so sure that our US neighbours have had the pleasure. :)

2P.P1

I love Ice Wines and they are available in the U.S/ at Trader Joes, under German wine for $20 something a bottle. Don't know availability on ship.

2P.P1

A lot of us here in the States are quite familiar with ice wines. Many wineries even offer lovely "faux" ice wines. (Artificially frozen grapes) But, if the OP is hoping for a sweet dessert wine and ice wine isn't available, an acceptable substitute might be a late harvest which (in my opinion) are very sweet.

A lot of us here in the States are quite familiar with ice wines. Many wineries even offer lovely "faux" ice wines. (Artificially frozen grapes) But, if the OP is hoping for a sweet dessert wine and ice wine isn't available, an acceptable substitute might be a late harvest which (in my opinion) are very sweet.

Some of the Finger Lakes (NY) wineries even make true ice wines!

Can't beat the real stuff, that's for sure. But, I know that some wineries have starting freezing some of their own grapes as a backup in case the weather doesn't cooperate.

Washington State has some phenomenal ice wines, too. Do Finger Lakes wineries sell across across the U.S.?

Sorry OP for tuning this into a fan club discussion for ice wines. ;) On the other hand, maybe RCCL is eavesdropping and will add them to the dessert wines list!

Can't beat the real stuff, that's for sure. But, I know that some wineries have starting freezing some of their own grapes as a backup in case the weather doesn't cooperate.

Washington State has some phenomenal ice wines, too. Do Finger Lakes wineries sell across across the U.S.?

Sorry OP for tuning this into a fan club discussion for ice wines. ;) On the other hand, maybe RCCL is eavesdropping and will add them to the dessert wines list!

I know that some do (there's a limited selection of Finger Lakes wine in grocery/wine stores here in VA) but I usually just buy what I want when I'm visiting my parents up in NY. IIRC, there's fairly complicated laws involving trade of alcohol out of New York State.

2P.P1

Alot of us are very familiar with ice wine and really enjoy it. That was a very strange remark to make.:rolleyes:

Alot of us are very familiar with ice wine and really enjoy it. That was a very strange remark to make.:rolleyes:

Before you take a shot at me, you should note that what I said was "I'm not so sure that our US neighbours have had the pleasure." It did NOT say that you have never seen it, only that I wasn't sure. And if you keep reading and you're also read my mea culpa. I have no problem admitting it when I've misspoken. :)

2P.P1

Before you take a shot at me, you should note that what I said was "I'm not so sure that our US neighbours have had the pleasure." It did NOT say that you have never seen it, only that I wasn't sure. And if you keep reading and you're also read my mea culpa. I have no problem admitting it when I've misspoken. :)

2P.P1

You are very gracious! :) I did not find your comments strange at all. I only became aware of ice wine in the past year or so. And it was a Canadian who helped educate me. ;) So I, for one, appreciate the information and clarifications.

2P.P1

I personally took no offense at all. I live in Texas and always, well almost always have 'cept for a bit of SE Asia in the early 70's, and have ancestral roots in the Montebello, QC, with many relatives living in Canada. We have visited several there that live in Chelsea just out of Ottawa and he teaches wine classes at the University in Ottawa and he introduced me to Ice Wine. Really good stuff.

I personally took no offense at all. I live in Texas and always, well almost always have 'cept for a bit of SE Asia in the early 70's, and have ancestral roots in the Montebello, QC, with many relatives living in Canada. We have visited several there that live in Chelsea just out of Ottawa and he teaches wine classes at the University in Ottawa and he introduced me to Ice Wine. Really good stuff.

Glad you liked it Rest. It is very addicting isn't it? :D

2P.P1

No I have not seen Ice Wine on the ships. I just bought a few bottles of Ontario Ice Wine in the Niagara area in September as we toured some wineries and sure wish I could bring one or two to share with my cruising friends.:)

I've been told that true Ice Wines are only made in Germany and in the Niagara Region of Southern Ontario and Western New York. All others are pretenders. Now, maybe I was told that to promote Ice Wine sales in the Niagara Region. It is what I tell people on my tours.

OK....excuse my totally uneducated knowledge on Ice Wine - but what is it exactly? - a born and bred Brit here and I genuinley have never heard of it but it sounds very interesting :)

I like medium dry wines personally - is it a very sweet wine?

OK....excuse my totally uneducated knowledge on Ice Wine - but what is it exactly? - a born and bred Brit here and I genuinley have never heard of it but it sounds very interesting :)

I like medium dry wines personally - is it a very sweet wine?

Ice wine is nectar of the gods :) It is a sweet wine. It is a very labour intensive process to produce it. The grapes have to be hand picked at -10 to -13C.

Here is a link with good info ..

http://winesofontario.org/html/dis_icewine.htm

Archived