Ladies -- Thoughts on Not Going!

lacruiser

I have irritable bowel syndrome (TMI?) and diarrhea was a way of life for me. I take 4-6 capsules of psyllium husks (it's Metamucil but without the preservatives and junk--and way cheaper). It keeps me going smooth. I've recommended it to my friends who are constipated a lot and it helps them too. Evens things out. Get it at a health food store.

I find that a glass of hot water with a slice of lemon first thing gives the old intestines a wake-up call - then bring on the fiber and prunes and water and exercise and fruit........

I do the hot lemon water every morning. I was told to do this to help cleanse my kidneys and liver. Maybe that is why I do not have a problem.

As a health professional, I suggest Fibersure or benefiber daily followed by 12-16oz of water. If you like cold cereals, eat Fiber One or Raisin Bran with extra raisins followed by the water.And move! Activity helps the colon to move.

(black) licorice is a natural laxative as well (red licorice isn't actually real licorice). if you go to a candy store or health food store and get some higher quality stuff than just grocery store candy, it works wonders too.

(black) licorice is a natural laxative as well (red licorice isn't actually real licorice). if you go to a candy store or health food store and get some higher quality stuff than just grocery store candy, it works wonders too.

Licorice is a plant source of cortisone, a steroid. That means to anyone with diabetes, that will run your blood sugar sky-high-even plain licorice will- not in candy- so without the sugar will run up your blood sugar. You can get plain licorice as an herbal capsule. But, as I said, if you have diabetes, be careful.

Since this is my problem also, I always travel with a product like Metamucil and take it every morning, either in juice or water right before my breakfast. In fact, it's important to get yourself regular before leaving on a trip.

I also take an acidophilous tablet like "Pearls" every day which really helps to keep me regular.

Bread, pasta and bananas are very constipating for me so I reduce my intake of those, especially having bread and pasta together. It's like a glue factory in my intestines.

You know, I'm always dieting so hard before cruises (which means omitting, for the most part, breads and pasta) that I usually enjoy eating bread on the cruise. I'm sure that contributes to the problem! All the other things I've pretty much got under control, though -- fiber, lots of moving around, etc. I think I'll rely on some sort of soluble fiber this time around. A question for those of you who have experience with that sort of thing (and I don't know any other way to phrase this): does it give you gas?? :eek::confused::eek:

Unfortunately, for me, all of these suggestions don't always help me. After the dreaded "roto router" test, the DR told me that some people have this problem. (Maybe that is why I have been told that I am full of s***) :D He suggested Myralax and it works great for me.

You all are right on about the gas created by taking the fiber products. That's why it's important to get on this routine several weeks before the cruise so your body can adjust.

It's absolutely vital to drink plenty of water with any of the products like Metamucil, Benefiber, etc. You must drink at least the recommended amount on the product label and it won't hurt to increase that amount by another half. If you do this, you shouldn't experience a lot of excess gas. The water helps to push the fiber along in the intestines. Without enough, you are going to be complicating matters.

I always bring along several packages of Metamucil cookies in a baggie. If I am having difficulties I eat a "cookie" before bedtime and drink a bottle of water.

Adding lots of salads, water and more fibre to my diet has helped me enormously over the past few years although new settings and travel can put me off for a couple of days.

Hope all goes well and you fully enjoy your cruise.

Kathy:)

Archived