Automatic Tipping?

malefevre

Hi Lorene...You can select auto gratuities be added to your cruise price at the time of booking or about midweek you will receive a letter in your stateroom asking whether you want gratuities added to your on board account..now if you do MTD you don't have a choice it will be automatically added to reservation if you sign up before sailing...if you wait until you are onboard to signup for MTD it will automatically added.

Jim&Pat:)

It's not automatic. You can pre-pay tips, which will be added to your Seapass acount if you wait to do this until after you've boarded the ship. If you elect this option before you cruise, you're credit card will be charged at that time.

As far as MTD is concerned, while you must sign up for pre-paid gratuities in order to get MTD, it's still not automatic. They had us fill out the pre-paid gratuities form when we signed up. I'm not certain if they charge you pre-paid gratuities before you board if you sign up for MTD before your cruise. We weren't able to sign up until after we had boarded the ship.

I was pricing out a cruise today with MTD. The Gratuity was included.

Have they ever given a reason for this? Not that it matters, but I just don't understand this policy.

Last trip on the Mariner (03/09) we asked about the prepaid gratuity when signing up for MTD. The Maitre d' explained that guests might be confused as to who should be tipped since you may not always have the same waiters. They want to insure that the staff is getting tipped without obligating guests tip all of the waiters who serve you.

Hope this helps;).

Archived