Miami Logistics - Zoo, South Beach, and Hotel

bqkali

We will be in Miami for one day (our cruise arrives in Ft. Lauderdale at 7am and we fly out of Miami the next day at 8am). Our plan is to self-disembark and get a rental car as quickly as possible to head down to the Miami zoo. I'm hoping we get to the zoo no later than 10:30 and figure we'll be done there by 2 or 3. Google Maps is showing pretty simple directions - anything I need to be aware of? Will traffic be bad on a Saturday morning? Is there free parking at the zoo?

After the zoo, I'd like to head over to South Beach for the remainder of the day. I think something low key - strolling the beach, having dinner, enjoying a mojito ;) - is probably the best plan. Anything else I shouldn't miss? Can anyone recommend an affordable place to grab dinner? Also, what is the best place to park so that we could walk to the beach and walk directly to dinner (safely) without having to re-park somewhere?

Last question - given that we will be finishing up at South Beach by 8 or 9 that night and need to be at the airport probably around 6am (to have time to drop off the rental car and check in for our flight), would you recommend staying in the South Beach area or at an airport hotel? Our only requirement is somewhere clean and safe so we are planning on using either Priceline or Hotwire since the specific hotel is not important to us.

Thanks!! :D

We will be in Miami for one day (our cruise arrives in Ft. Lauderdale at 7am and we fly out of Miami the next day at 8am). Our plan is to self-disembark and get a rental car as quickly as possible to head down to the Miami zoo. I'm hoping we get to the zoo no later than 10:30 and figure we'll be done there by 2 or 3. Google Maps is showing pretty simple directions - anything I need to be aware of? Yes, pretty simple, the zoo exit from the turnpike is very clearly marked. Will traffic be bad on a Saturday morning? Under normal circumstances I'd say no...and heading to the zoo is away from town. Is there free parking at the zoo? When I was last there the parking was still free, with a very large lot (I lived literally at the entr' gate as the housing that was there was a Coast Guard housing facility until a few years ago. That's where I lived for hurricane Andrew!)

After the zoo, I'd like to head over to South Beach for the remainder of the day. I think something low key - strolling the beach, having dinner, enjoying a mojito ;) - is probably the best plan. Anything else I shouldn't miss? Can anyone recommend an affordable place to grab dinner? Also, what is the best place to park so that we could walk to the beach and walk directly to dinner (safely) without having to re-park somewhere? I was never a big South Beach person and I'll wait for others to make reccomends alog those lines. But on your time table I'd head to Monty's of South Beach and have a seat out back with some cool drinks, stone crab and conch fritters and watch the cruise ships sail past on their way to sea...... (google it and see where it sits....you can almost reach out and touch the ships as they pass)

Last question - given that we will be finishing up at South Beach by 8 or 9 that night and need to be at the airport probably around 6am (to have time to drop off the rental car and check in for our flight), would you recommend staying in the South Beach area or at an airport hotel? Our only requirement is somewhere clean and safe so we are planning on using either Priceline or Hotwire since the specific hotel is not important to us. Hotwire or similar always works for me but of course I know where to and where not to stay. Airport is almost for sure going to come in less than anything on South Beach but I'd also recmd u concider Coconut Grove. Actually I prefer the Grove and on your plan you might even find that checking in and showering STILL leaves time to enjoy some of the sites of 'the Grove' which is where the locals go (most leaving south beach to the 'beach crowd' and the tourists ala Fishman's Wharf in San Fran alto I like WF myself...)

Thanks!! :D

Thanks so much for your help with the zoo. I feel a little bit better about deciding to rent a car and drive down there :) Last time I was in Miami traffic was congested and I was really glad I was a passenger and not the driver...

I was never a big South Beach person and I'll wait for others to make reccomends alog those lines. But on your time table I'd head to Monty's of South Beach and have a seat out back with some cool drinks, stone crab and conch fritters and watch the cruise ships sail past on their way to sea...... (google it and see where it sits....you can almost reach out and touch the ships as they pass)

Mmm...stone crab sure sounds tasty!

Hotwire or similar always works for me but of course I know where to and where not to stay. Airport is almost for sure going to come in less than anything on South Beach but I'd also recmd u concider Coconut Grove. Actually I prefer the Grove and on your plan you might even find that checking in and showering STILL leaves time to enjoy some of the sites of 'the Grove' which is where the locals go (most leaving south beach to the 'beach crowd' and the tourists ala Fishman's Wharf in San Fran alto I like WF myself...)

Looking at the map, it looks like Coconut Grove would be heading back south, kind of out of the way. I'd like to drive as little as possible, so I really appreciate the suggestion but I'd still rather stay in either SoBe or the airport area, if anyone else has any thoughts.

Thanks for all your help!!!

Archived