"I wish I knew before..."

T&Dcruisers

I have the kindle app on my smartphone and wondered if the phone would work in the ziplock bag too....it does!!. Thanks so much for this tip. I'm the world's clumsiest so I'm sure my phone would end up wet somehow otherwise.

Good to know. Will definitely have to try this with my phone.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Just a couple of thoughts. I have heard of people using cash to pay their accounts, but you might find this problematic since they normally want a credit card. If this is a concern, you might consider getting a credit card which you just use for the cruise, and/or get a pre-paid credit card.

With regards to using the ATMs on board; watch out for fees which the ship and your bank might charge for making transactions using the machine.

Here is a thread that discussing cruising without using a credit card. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1980448&highlight=no+credit+card

I've put cash on all my cruises, never used a credit card. Never had a problem, they ask if you have a credit card and just tell them no, you're doing a cash account. They will either take money or tell you to visit GS once on board.

• 2 weeks later...

bring along a lightweight T-shirt to wear while you snorkel as well as making sure that you slather the backs of arms and legs with sunscreen! You will be hypnotized by the undersea world and may forget how long you've been bobbing around with your back, legs and arms exposed. I have done this religiously since finding out the hard way on my first cruise!

• 2 weeks later...
What do you guys do when going on beach excursions? Do you take all your documents with you? How do you protect it from being stolen and/or wet while you take a swim? Thanks in advance!
These come in different sizes. I just bought one to fit my phone plus some money and ID cards while on a dive boat.

Pelican Micro Dry Case

These come in different sizes. I just bought one to fit my phone plus some money and ID cards while on a dive boat.

Pelican Micro Dry Case

I take photocopies of everything and not originals, and take pics of them so they are on my cell phone. As long as you have the proof with you, conciliates can get you original copies if needed. I take the paper copies and stick them in zip lock bags and put it in hubbies cargo swim trunks...never lost them, and phone as a back up if needed.

cheers~ Nat :)

I take photocopies of everything and not originals, and take pics of them so they are on my cell phone.

Also worthwhile either saving scanned copies of important documents to a cloud storage site or emailing yourself a copy (if you use web based email).

Then if you lose everything, then you will still be able to print/show the scanned copy.

Oh, one funny thing I forgot to mention. As I was reading through this thread, I noticed that several women said that they traveled with DH. I kept thinking... who is this "DH" guy? Boy, he sure gets around. :p

DH -

Dear Husband

Darn Husband

D*mn Husband

Dumb Husband

DW - Wife

DD - Daughter

DS - Son

DGD - Grand Daughter

DGS - Grand Son

DX - Why are you cruising with your "ex"? :eek:

I am not a first timer, but my next cruise will be a Girls Only. Three of us have cruised and three have not. So I will be sharing this information with them. Thank you all.

I've been reading lots of 'pack light' and 'no one will know if you wear the same thing again' comments. Made me think of a story.

Years ago, my sister did just that, 'packed light'. Sure no one noticed, not even us six who were with her. It wasn't until we got home and was showing the rest of the family the ship pictures. The ones you purchase as you get off the ship. Every picture she was in the same top. :eek: No one noticed it when we were choosing the pictures. We all got a good laugh. Now we bring enough tops for the whole cruise. Shorts, we wear more than once.

Just thought I'd share! :)

I am not a first timer, but my next cruise will be a Girls Only. Three of us have cruised and three have not. So I will be sharing this information with them. Thank you all.

I've been reading lots of 'pack light' and 'no one will know if you wear the same thing again' comments. Made me think of a story.

Years ago, my sister did just that, 'packed light'. Sure no one noticed, not even us six who were with her. It wasn't until we got home and was showing the rest of the family the ship pictures. The ones you purchase as you get off the ship. Every picture she was in the same top. :eek: No one noticed it when we were choosing the pictures. We all got a good laugh. Now we bring enough tops for the whole cruise. Shorts, we wear more than once.

Just thought I'd share! :)

Love your story. I always think of the pics. Lol.

Sent from my iPad

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen lots of "don't forget the sunscreen" and "buy it on sale at the end of the summer" posts, but I haven't seen any about reading the directions and using it appropriately!

First, it expires and loses effectiveness. Make sure you check the date and/or check that it's a fresh bottle.

Next, sunscreen needs to be applied 15-30 minutes before sun exposure so that it can be absorbed by the skin and work correctly. Even water-resistant sunscreen won't be water-resistant if you spray or rub it on and then jump right in the pool! And even water-resistant types need to be reapplied often. A word about no-rub sprays...rub 'em in anyway! They will leave a lighter spray pattern in the center of your nice tan (or burn) if you don't.

Last, a way to prevent burned buns from snorkeling with your backside in the air for hours: treat your sunscreen like an after shower, all over moisturizer. After drying off (or while dressing if not showering), cover every inch of your naked body in sunscreen- head to toe (including ears, back of the neck, belly even if wearing a one piece, etc). Use about a shot glass full for an average adult-sized body. That way when your bathing suit rides up while you're snorkeling, your buns are already protected. Ditto for when your straps slip a little this way or that.

I have camped at a southern beach for over 25 years with babies to senior citizens, and I grew up on and in the water. I have never burned a kid in my care, and it breaks my heart to see parents using sunscreen incorrectly and then watching their burned babies suffer for it. One sunburn increases the chance of skin cancer developing by 50%, so please don't just "bring sunscreen"- use it correctly!

Hi,

1. Take a highlighter - I went on the Pacific Dawn, and they had a pacific Daily of all the activities on and at what time a highlighter would have been easier to see the activities.

2. The food is not gourmet - but it is still really good

3. Pack what you think you need - then have it

4. Keep the documents you get given in your room (Pacific Daily ect.)

5. Don't be upset/frustrated that you cant do it all - you can always go again.:)

forum-sig.aspx?cruisecode=W603&c=beach

Edited by cruiseaway99

• 2 weeks later...

Important tip for all... make sure someone has a key to your house and knows where you store your passports and birth certificates.

On our last cruise I changed suitcases at the last minute. Didn't dawn on me that I didn't transfer the passports to the new suitcase. We went the check in line explained. They took us to a special area where we called a cousin and a friemd. They took pics of the birth certificates and text it to the carnival person. We got on the ship with printed copies of our birth certificate. We came thru customs without at hitch.

So please be sure someone has a copy with them or know where in your house you keep them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

If you had to list your top 5 points/tips that you wish you had known before you went on your first cruise what would they be? Examples, like binder clip for the shower curtain or that the first drink is NOT free, etc.

My friend is going on a cruise for her honeymoon and neither have been on one before and she just doens't have time to read these boards, wedding planning and all, so I thought I might compile a list for her. I tried composing one myself but found that I just kept forgetting things. Thanks for everyone's help!

Good health and have a good time....:) :) :cool: :eek:

How does one buy a drink coupon before boarding?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

I haven't heard of being able to buy a coupon for one drink prior to boarding, but some lines do offer drink cards which give you a discount on alcohol purchases. On Princess you do this through your Cruise Personalizer.

Another option is that you can buy on board credits in advance. Some people do this as a way to save up for their on board expenses in advance, to they don't have to deal with a large bill at the end of their cruise.

The drink they offer when you board the ship is NOT free!

If they have offered a glass of champagne as you first board, that has been free, but if you go up on deck and a server comes up and asks if you would like a drink, then that has not been free.

Carry on the carry on bags. On our first cruise, DW insisted on checking our carry ons. I wanted to bring them with us. Guess which bags got left at the port? And guess which bags had the medications? Princess was really good and got replacement meds for us at the next port. I will never let DW live it down. Tell that story on every cruise after that one.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Carry on the carry on bags. On our first cruise, DW insisted on checking our carry ons. I wanted to bring them with us. Guess which bags got left at the port? And guess which bags had the medications? Princess was really good and got replacement meds for us at the next port. I will never let DW live it down. Tell that story on every cruise after that one.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yikes! I always make sure to carry on any meds & valuables (on plane, cruise, whatever). Even if it's just those few items in a small backpack or shoulder bag. But, if you can't live without it or would be devastated to lose it, don't ever trust it to checked bags, even if it may be less convenient to carry around all day.

A lot of people will carry on a change of clothes and everything, just in case. I don't usually go that far (I can live a couple days in same clothes if needed or buy at gift shop), but my medications, electronics, and jewelry are always in the carry on. Losing clothes would be inconvenient, but not as devastating as the essential items that can't be replaced at gift shop.

On my last trip, my carry on was one of those cheap draw-string backpacks. It was great for carry on of critical items. It was light, easy to carry around, could easily fit my essential items (it can fit more than you would think), and most of the time I forgot I even had it on. And during the trip, it was nice for ports & walking around town because it could fit the essential items (ID, money, sunscreen, map, book) and items are secure (nobody can easily pick pocket it and since it's over both arms it can't be snatched as easily as a purse - although the straps could pull out or break still), and it was useful for throwing souvenirs into after purchasing. But, it's my new favorite trip bag. Even on short trips where I'm only taking carry-on luggage, I'll still throw this in there for use around town.

31uE2Th4QGL.jpg

If they have offered a glass of champagne as you first board, that has been free, but if you go up on deck and a server comes up and asks if you would like a drink, then that has not been free.

Oh, thank you. I thought that was a given, that when the servers ask if you'd like a drink, they aren't free and champagne as you board obviously is. However, I can see that people may not be sure.

Thanks for this thread everyone.

Throw your swimsuit in that carry-on too. Took a cruise out of Boston late September last year. Turns out to be a hotter than normal day, low 80's and all sun. We had our suits in our carryons and were the only people in the pool. Some people were soaking their feet and legs but everyone was jealous!!

Wow - I've been active on discussion forums for 15 years but this is the first time I've read every post in a thread that spans 89 pages!

I'm an experienced traveler (I have a personal website on family travel photos even) but this is my first cruise, and all the suggestions people have offered have been tremendously helpful!