Hainan vs. Air China

kinsetta

As I look to book our air to Beijing for an April 2010 cruise, I find the best prices from our home airport to be on Hainan Airlines with Air China close behind it. Not only are their fares attractive, but the travel time and number of stops are quite good.

What experiences has anyone had with either of these airlines, particularly flying from west coast US to Beijing? Thanks.

As I look to book our air to Beijing for an April 2010 cruise, I find the best prices from our home airport to be on Hainan Airlines with Air China close behind it. Not only are their fares attractive, but the travel time and number of stops are quite good.

What experiences has anyone had with either of these airlines, particularly flying from west coast US to Beijing? Thanks.

Post on the Cruise Air board. I haven't used them yet but Air China has good flights from California to Bejing. You might also want to look at ANA through Tokyo. Both Air China and ANA are Star Alliance partners.

We used Air China a couple times. I have no complaints. If the choice was between say Singapore, Cathay or any of the Japanese carriers I'd pick the others; food fair, service fair. I'd pick them over most of the US carriers I've tried. US attendant that I've experienced seem the very senior and are grumpy and have this you are so lucky that I'm here attitude.

I do have to say we missed the connect home Shanghia to Beijing to LA. Their customer service / communication was horrible. Yes they provided bus, hotel, food ( dinner/breakfast ) for overnight but simply no information on rebook and how to get home etc. A credit to them, we did get on the first flight out the next day.

Everytime I've flown them I've flown the mixed cargo / passenger 747. Nice in the sense not very many passengers as most of the plane was cargo allocated.

Did not use Hainan or Air China Airlines from USA to China, but did use them for 3 flights within China in Sept/Oct 2009. Planes are modern Boeing jets - no longer the ancient Russian planes of old. The crew are outstanding and speak a little English - even served meals on domestic flights. However, you might have problems @ Chinese airports if flights are delayed. Very little English is spoken or understood in China, even @ the international airport. Try to get English/Chinese translation of phrases, i.e., "I would like a window seat", "what time and gate does the flight leave from?" Beijing's Terminal #3 is the largest terminal in the world, so leave plenty of time to get to your plane on time. Also, take aspirin before you fly/arrive in Asia - passengers are thermo-scanned for high temps and if you have a high temp, you will be pulled out and quarantined for suspected H1N1 "Swine" flu. China is Amazing! Have a fabulous time and try new experiences!

Maui Globe Trotters

:):):):)

Did not use Hainan or Air China Airlines from USA to China, but did use them for 3 flights within China in Sept/Oct 2009. Planes are modern Boeing jets - no longer the ancient Russian planes of old. The crew are outstanding and speak a little English - even served meals on domestic flights. However, you might have problems @ Chinese airports if flights are delayed. Very little English is spoken or understood in China, even @ the international airport. Try to get English/Chinese translation of phrases, i.e., "I would like a window seat", "what time and gate does the flight leave from?" Beijing's Terminal #3 is the largest terminal in the world, so leave plenty of time to get to your plane on time. Also, take aspirin before you fly/arrive in Asia - passengers are thermo-scanned for high temps and if you have a high temp, you will be pulled out and quarantined for suspected H1N1 "Swine" flu. China is Amazing! Have a fabulous time and try new experiences!

Maui Globe Trotters

:):):):)

Did you fly Air China? We are flying Air China from Bejing to Hong Kong in coach class (Business with additional luggage allowance was almost $900.00pp, so no way).

We already know we can only check one 44 Ib bag each and prepared to purchase additional luggage in Hong Kong before we board our ship so we have room for any purchases.

Ok, how tough were they with weighing carryone luggage? I have a 21" roller I take everywhere and it meets the dimensions guidelines when nothing is in the side pockets, BUT 5kg (11 pounds)? The bag itself must be 8 pounds. I also have a Nikon camera and taking at least three lenses in the smaller size slingback (back back). What was your experiance in China and particularly Bejing regarding them weighing and charging for luggage. I don't even know if you can pay for it because if its over the 11 pounds they are going to make you check it. My camera Equipment and Netbook and chargers are over a few pounds.

Thus far I have avoided extra luggage costs all over the World including LAN in Argentina and SAS in Norway, but I don't think I am going to be this lucky again. All my China town TA (who booked flights) could say that she was a TA and Chinese and they didn't giver her a break and she had to pay an extra $300.00 more than once on her last trip to China.

We used Air China a couple times. I have no complaints. If the choice was between say Singapore, Cathay or any of the Japanese carriers I'd pick the others; food fair, service fair. I'd pick them over most of the US carriers I've tried. US attendant that I've experienced seem the very senior and are grumpy and have this you are so lucky that I'm here attitude.

I do have to say we missed the connect home Shanghia to Beijing to LA. Their customer service / communication was horrible. Yes they provided bus, hotel, food ( dinner/breakfast ) for overnight but simply no information on rebook and how to get home etc. A credit to them, we did get on the first flight out the next day.

Everytime I've flown them I've flown the mixed cargo / passenger 747. Nice in the sense not very many passengers as most of the plane was cargo allocated.

We are flying All Nippon internationally and Air China Bejing to Hong Kong, all on endorsable tickets. We could have saved $50.00 each on a Dragon Air flight from Bejing to Hong Kong that was consolidator but decided to stick with Star Alliance.

Archived