Costa in Singapore

Brian Raine

Just a reminder to anyone cruising with any ship from Singapore. If you are having a layover, as Costa does, of a couple of days and want to get of the ship to tour Singapore you now need your PASSPORT. Last year your cruise card would suffice.Also any alocohol/tabacco purchased duty free on board or any of the same products brought in to Singapore , even if you are in TRANSIT must be declared to Singapore Customs and duty paid.The fine is quite high for evasion and ALL luggage is scanned when you disembark.So please be warned.

Brian is 100% correct. Becareful what the Costa duty free shops sellers and the hostess say about the Singapore duty free allowance - my advice forget what they say (they are only thinking of their provision).

All cigarettes must be declared and duty paid, only 1 open pack allowed duty free. Check with the Singapore Customs web site.

Also careful with chewing gum. That's not a sticky point in Singapore.

Ron

and the duty was 70 cents per cigarette (not per pack). i had 6 packs leftover from what i packed. i gave them to a bartender.

what is really odd, is how cheap the smokes are at the singapore airport. about 11 bucks US per carton when you are departing.

Hi

We are booked on the Easter Mauritius to Singapore cruise. Never sailed in this area before and interested to hear comments re; Singapore customs. Since we are disembarking and flying home from Singapore, can I please clarify that we must declare any alcohol/tobacco that we have in our luggage when we leave the ship? i.e. that bought in other ports along the cruise and/or onboard? Seems strange and we usually always buy some of each to bring home within allowances duty free.

Hi

We are booked on the Easter Mauritius to Singapore cruise. Never sailed in this area before and interested to hear comments re; Singapore customs. Since we are disembarking and flying home from Singapore, can I please clarify that we must declare any alcohol/tobacco that we have in our luggage when we leave the ship? i.e. that bought in other ports along the cruise and/or onboard? Seems strange and we usually always buy some of each to bring home within allowances duty free.

What is currently said in this thread is what people have experienced in the past, not that people are not telling the truth but customs regulations can change over night. Being illerate of the current customs regulations is no defence. It is best to check the Singapore Customs web site before you leave to get a clear picture of what you can bring into Singapore.

Why should it seem strange? There is only a very small duty free allowance on alcohol and NONE on cigarrettes or other tobacco products. What you have bought along the way or on the ship is still liable for Singapore duty and taxes.

I personally would wait until I was flying out and get my duty free at Chango Airport (very cheap).

Ron

For those over 18 years of age who have arrived from countries other than Malaysia and have spent more than 48 hours outside Singapore, allowable duty-free concessions are 1 liter of spirits; 1 liter of wine; and 1 liter of either port, sherry, or beer, all of which must be intended for personal consumption only. There are no duty-free concessions on cigarettes or other tobacco items. If you exceed the duty-free limitations, you can bring your excess items in upon payment of goods and services tax (GST) and Customs duty.

Read more: http://www.frommers.com/destinations/singapore/0077020032.html#ixzz0WP3YIdR9

sharrie The comments I made were based on the stae of play as of o1 Nov 2009 when we disembarked the Allegra. ALL luggage is screened by XRAY when going into Singapore, that includes the baggage from the miriad of FERRY passengers that use the same terminal.

As for "cheap" Duty Free at Changi, the alcohol is cheaper in the UK, duty paid(again if you know where to shop).We found that Singapore is not the Mecca it once was for low cost electronics etc.

One of our guides said of the government "They Are the P&P Party which means PAY AND PAY"

Before our Costa Allegra cruise in June we did a lot of research on the Singapore websites concerning prescription drugs. When we arrived late at night we only went through passport control. At the end of the cruise we went to Indonesia and presented ourselves upon return to Singapore due to prescriptions we were carrying but they waved us through. Nonetheless, it pays to be aware of Singapore's many restrictions.

Archived