Informal Cruises

Does anyone know of any other informal cruise companies other than Thomson. We have enjoyed Thomson cruises, and Island cruises when they had Island Star, obviously with Ocean Village not operating next winter, Thomson dream is way too expensive, we are looking at other options. Really dont want to do the big dressing up thing on a daily basis and would like a drinks package. Any advice please.

Does anyone know of any other informal cruise companies other than Thomson. We have enjoyed Thomson cruises, and Island cruises when they had Island Star, obviously with Ocean Village not operating next winter, Thomson dream is way too expensive, we are looking at other options. Really dont want to do the big dressing up thing on a daily basis and would like a drinks package. Any advice please.

We are in exactly the same boat (pardon the pun) Love Thomson but the kids clubs don't meet our kids (or our) needs, Island we found to be poor in comparison to Thomson and Ocean Village. We have done P&O but don't like the formality (and the attitude of some "considerably richer than you" passengers) RCI have the best ships we have been on, BUT the service is second rate and some staff are ignorant, especially when they think they are not going to receive a tip (quite unjustifiably)

I don't want to pay in dollars as the rate is poor at present and I object to having to tip $40+ dollars a day for my family and I to sail on Princess or NCL.

NCL are the only informal option available (once OV has gone), great if there are the two of you and you don't mind paying extra for your tips and paying £6+ for a pint of lager or glass of wine.

Good hunting, someone on the OV forum has written to Virgin, asking them to "replace" Ocean Village with Ocean Virgin..... I hope they do, I'll be signing up!

Hi Both,

As well as NCL there is also Carnival. They like Thomson do a couple of optional nights if you want to dress up.

Trouble is all the cruises that I could find seem to be North and Central America.

Like Rosebakets, we did RCI in June and did not enjoy it. Beautiful ship and not bad itinerary but food was OK and drinks expensive and we had same problem with the staff.

Berwyn

Archived