What would you do if this happened to you?

FastFreddie

Stephanie, just curious but I have only lived in Boston 7 years and I was under the impression that NO ONE who lived here called it "Beantown" ???

Please don't be offended by this but I had to comment.

emcee207 ps we actually live in Milton

Oh for goodness sake!

If this is the worst complaint you could drag up regarding your cabin steward, forget it!!!!

I may add that a similar incident happened to me on my last cruise. I had filled out my comment card and left it lying on the desk. My steward mentioned it to me later, saying thanks for the good remarks and excellent rating about him.

I was glad that I had said good things!! But I was a little surprised that he had read it, but then, I had left it out.

It did open up a conversation with him. I had used the voucher system for tipping since I do not like to carry cash with me. The voucher I gave him did not mention the extra I had added, and I asked him if he always got it when there was extra. He said No, not if all his "clients" who told him they had added extra had done so.

I don't know if Celebrity is at fault or if other passengers tell him one thing and do another. Anyway, I handed him a bill just to make sure he got something more.

Just what happened to me --

love

joan

:D hi emcee207.....i have lived in massachusetts my entire life......have been in boston for the last 3 years and have always known it to be referred to as bean town...have you ever had "boston baked beans?"go to boston . com and scroll down and see all the references to bean town :D life is best when i get to cruise:D .........................................stephanie from boston baked bean town Marathon?

Q. How did Boston get its name?

Q. Why is Boston called Beantown?

Q. Was there really a killer molasses flood?

Q. What's the significance of 1918 in Boston history?

Q. Who was the first man to die in the Boston Massacre?

Hi Fast Freddie,

I love your reference in to your home area as "Beautiful New Hampster":D

I have a different suggestion for your dilemma.

First, you admittedly had a great experience with your staff, and even tipped much more than the norm, so there is certainly no issue with the service and it is apparent that you wanted to reward them.

As has been pointed out in several other posts, the comment cards really are read and promotions and other personnel actions are largely based on those comments. I think it would have been very hard to resist reading the comment card if it was left where the staff could see it. Assuming you had established a great relationship with them, perhaps he felt comfortable enough to think that you may have simply been in a hurry or not fully realized the impact that the comment cards have, and made a sort of feeble attempt to try to have you add comments that he felt you might have wanted to make.

I know that his approach may have been a bit misguided, but I would not have been offended. Say, for example, I was at a restaurant, really clicked with the waiter or waitress, had wonderful service and simply had forgotten to leave a tip-imagine how awkward it would be for them to follow me and ask if I had forgotten to tip, but I would feel horrible later if I realized I had not tipped. I know we are not talking about tipping here, and that you tipped them very generously, but the analogy is valid.

I am confident that you would have taken the time to fill out the card and commended them for your service if you had realized the importance of the cards.

So, yes, I think you should contact the cruise line. And, in your message, I think you should not say anything at all about your butler approaching you. I think you should say that you had a tremendous butler and in all the hustle and bustle you neglected to utilize the comment cards to formally acknowledge the great service you received, and add offer whatever comments in that regard you feel they deserve.

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

Hi Fast Freddie,

I have a different suggestion for your dilemma.

I am confident that you would have taken the time to fill out the card and commended them for your service if you had realized the importance of the cards.

So, yes, I think you should contact the cruise line. And, in your message, I think you should not say anything at all about your butler approaching you. I think you should say that you had a tremendous butler and in all the hustle and bustle you neglected to utilize the comment cards to formally acknowledge the great service you received, and add offer whatever comments in that regard you feel they deserve.

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

This really does make sense. Hope you will do this.

this ones for gary :D ....................................................:) ...............:rolleyes:

Stephanie --

You seem like fun...lighthearted and all. We need more people like you on these boards. Quickly, get more friends signed up.

:-)

Would it be more acceptable if the butler has said something like:

"It's been a pleasure having you on board, Sir. I hope everything has been to your satisfaction. If so, I would appreciate kind comments on your evaluation because the cruise line uses the comment cards for future promotions."

Something like this wouldn't rub me the wrong way, but the butler's actual statement would be grating. However, I'd vote for letting it go and just being prepared for the next cruise.

Would it be more acceptable if the butler has said something like:

"It's been a pleasure having you on board, Sir. I hope everything has been to your satisfaction. If so, I would appreciate kind comments on your evaluation because the cruise line uses the comment cards for future promotions."

That sounds lovely..just like it came from a very proper, Brittish Butler...but you don't get many of those on the cruise ships!! :D

I agree that it was a very tacky thing to do. The only reason I would hesitate to "report" him to Celebrity would be because sometimes I think people of other cultures (I am assuming he is not American) do not do things the same way we Americans do. In other words, we are taught certain etiquette growing up that perhaps they are not. Maybe he just didn't realize what he was doing was inappropriate.

Sorry folks but I honestly can't resist this one! Jerseygirl3, your post is insulting to anybody who was born in a foreign country. I myself was born in a foreign country but I am also an American Citizen so I guess I do have a certain right to comment on your remark. Maybe you should educate yourself a little more about foreign countries and their customs. Believe it or not, foreigners grow up with the same basic etiquettes as Americans do, we are taught right from wrong just the same way you were brought up.

However it is your attitude which give Americans a very bad name when they travel to other countries.

As far as the Cabin Stewart is concerned, he was rude and out of line. O personally would report him to Celebrity Cruise Lines.

We had a similar thing happen to us on a previous cruise, in our case it was the waiter who was looking for an American sponsor to become an American Citizen.

give Americans a very bad name when they travel to other countries.

i agree totaly with that, as a native of the netherlands i have found that americans have dreadfull manners. And they also think that cruising and the internet are for americans only. There is more to the world than usa.

give Americans a very bad name when they travel to other countries.

i agree totaly with that, as a native of the netherlands i have found that americans have dreadfull manners. And they also think that cruising and the internet are for americans only. There is more to the world than usa.

Do you feel better now? Is this your example of good manners?

I am debating wether or not to write a letter to Celebrity letting them know of this. The butler worked hard, but he crossed a boundry. What would you do if this happened to you?

Since you asked what I would do if this happened to me, I would report him in a heartbeat. As a lessor or occupant of a space be it for four days, seven days or even longer, you have a certain expectation of privacy. If he is going through your documents out in the open, who knows what he is doing through those not in the open. Could he be gathering other personal information about you? Maybe a home address, credit card numbers, you can never be to sure. I am sure TPTB would like to know the actions of one of their employees. I am pretty sure that reading correspondence is not part of their job description.

I find that when I am upset about anything, time usually solves the problem. When a few days pass, whatever seemed large - diminishes.

You left the card out - the guy read it. I would assume almost everyone would.

However, I do understand where you are coming from. On most cruises, I've noticed a lot of "pimping" for the comment card ratings. It can be most annoying. I would be more likely to downgrade someone who annoys me about it. But, that would be an immediate over-reaction - something I might regret, at a later date, if the staff had truly served me well.

Consider one thing - any further action might jeopardize the guy's job. Is that what you really want?

Don't leave your personal stuff outside of your safe. I'd never leave my credit cards/passport out for someone to "read."

However, my name and address is on my luggage. Can't hide that, can I?

Let's face it. We are all constantly vulnerable. One can worry every moment of every day or one can take reasonable precautions and forget about it. Life's too short...

[QUOTE=smudge's mom]Consider one thing - any further action might jeopardize the guy's job. Is that what you really want?[/QUOTE]Let's be clear about something here. The action the guy took is what jeopardized his job, not the reporting of his actions.

My address is not on my luggage as we remove the luggage tags and place them in our safe. One cannot be too careful in this day and age. How about this thought though. What about him going through the drawers in your cabin and pawing through your unmentionables. Like I said, if he is doing this out in the open, who knows what he is doing out in the open.

Besides all of those facts, I would mention him just for pimping for a good comment. In one of the things I read on board, you were asked to report if any employee made a comment about tips. I feel the same applies if asking for a good comment.

I agree with those who said forget it. Perhaps he was under some
pressure to do excellent. Plan your next cruise instead and let that
experience simulate the wake behind your ship. Remember Hawaii 5,O.
Tell your travel agent book em Danno even if her name isn't Danno.
Happy Cruising
Dave Hansen

Destiny 2-98
Celebration 2-99
Fascination 9-99
Elation 12-99
SSNorway 2-00
Jubilee 4-00
NCL Sea 11-00
NCL Wind 12-00
NCL Sky 2-01
Destiny 9-01
Ocean Princess 2-02
Horizon 10-02
Horizon 11-02
Mercury 2-03
Zenith 11-03
Regal Princess 2-04
Zenith 2-05 (next)

[quote name='flagger']My address is not on my luggage as we remove the luggage tags and place them in our safe. One cannot be too careful in this day and age. How about this thought though. What about him going through the drawers in your cabin and pawing through your unmentionables. Like I said, if he is doing this out in the open, who knows what he is doing out in the open.[/QUOTE]

I had to chuckle when I read this. On the last evening of my last 3 cruises, I have handed the my waiter, assistant waiter (and once the assistant Maitre D) my personal card, which carries my name, home and cell phone numbers, and an email address, with the explanation that if they ever need assistance with anything and are in a port in reasonable proximity, they should not hesitate to contact me. I live in a small town, and the area code for my home phone references only that town -- odds are if you said my name to three folk on the streets here, at least one would know me and know where I live. None the less, I don't fear any significant hazard in giving this info out to folks who have catered to me for a week or two, and I'll gladly take the "risk" if it means I could help someone far from home in a strange country. They seemed to greatly appreciate the gesture, as far as I could tell.

As to the "unmentionables", I won't mention them. :p

Sorry, I'd still just let it go... you left it out, he saw it, he said something he probably knew immediately he shouldn't. Given the stress these folk have to be under with the importance of these comment cards, I can understand a temporary lapse in judgment.

As an aside, on the cultural issue, different countries do have differing perceptions of the expectations of privacy, and it's not being an "ugly american" to consider this. :rolleyes:

Fast Freddie

I'm with the "forget about it" crowd. Or, follow the advice of WVUFAN.

Regarding the cultural difference comment by JerseyGirl3: I don't see anywhere in her post that indicates [U]all[/U] cultures are different from the American culture. OTOH, comments like " agree totaly with that, as a native of the netherlands i have found that americans have dreadfull manners. And they also think that cruising and the internet are for americans only. There is more to the world than usa." certainly seems to lump all Citizens of the United States into one category.

The other comment of "Maybe you should educate yourself a little more about foreign countries and their customs. Believe it or not, foreigners grow up with the same basic etiquettes as Americans do, we are taught right from wrong just the same way you were brought up." is another "all the same" type statement. Do you really mean that all other cultures grow up with the same basic etiquettes as Americans. It's a big world and JerseyGirl3 was giving credit for the fact that mosr of us do not know all about other cultures.

Finally, regarding personal security: "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you!" :D

Charlie (Who has lived outsided of the United States)

"The other comment of "Maybe you should educate yourself a little more about foreign countries and their customs. Believe it or not, foreigners grow up with the same basic etiquettes as Americans do,"

I have to agree with 98charlie here. Customs do differ a lot from country to country. I recently found out from a co-worker that apparently it is in bad taste to give a clock as a gift to someone from China. He explained it has something to do with the sound of the chinese word clock etc. etc. Point is I have given and received clocks in my country and no one was offended. Who knew I would offend a Chinese neighbour if I had given such a gift?

When I travel to a foreign country I try to educate myself to the cultural differences, in order to avoid any major faux pas. What Jerseygirl3 was advocating is, if you are not educated about the customs of the country of origin of the butler, give him the benefit of the doubt. I don't see anything wrong with that.

I think leeuwarden and rcw379832 over reacted a bit to her comment.

By the way I am not an ugly American but, if you will, an ugly Canadian. I am aware of the feeling of apprehension that comes from "sleeping next to the elephant" as your the US president put it recently during a visit to my country. I appreciate that Jerseygirl3 IS sensitive to the fact that all the world doesn't necessarily follow the same customs as the good ol USA and that she is willing to make allowances when peoples behaviour is not quite what she would expect in the USA.

I do agree that whenever one does something to jeopardize his job, it's not [i]my fault[/i] if he loses his job. However, does this infraction rise to the level of one needing to lose his job? I don't agree that it does.

I might be inclined to remove my luggage tags if it wasn't a hassle, but I'm too lazy. However, if the guy gets his kicks pawing through my uninteresting "life" - so be it.

Like I said before - take reasonable precautions and forget about it. Life is truly too short to sweat the small stuff. Didn't we learn that this month?

• 1 month later...
Let me ask you this , if you decide to write to the cruise company, whose needs are being met, yours or the butler's? What a ridiculous thing to complain about. What would be your purpose in doing this? You ought to realize that crew can get fired over something stupid like this that a passenger might complain about. If they don't get fired, then they are given "counseling" because in the cruise industry, "the customer is always right" even though many times, the customer is sometimes "wrong".

It is VERY common for crew to ask for their name to be mentioned on survey cards, as this is what helps them either get promoted or demoted. That I can vouche for, straight from the horses mouth.

Menina

[quote name='FastFreddie']I won't mention the ship. My wife and I had a suite, and as I was in the process of disembarking the Butler came up to me and said "Did you mention me and the room steward in your survey, because they use that to determine how well we did"? I answered him that I did, he said "I noticed that you didn't and that's why I mentioned it to you".

Now am I crazy expecting my survey comments, albeit left on the coffee table in my stateroom to be sacred? The butler did a very nice job. I tipped him 3x the normal tip, however this really irked me that he would:

1) Approach me
2) Read my survey before I turned it in
3) Be stupid enough to let me know he did

I am debating wether or not to write a letter to Celebrity letting them know of this. The butler worked hard, but he crossed a boundry. What would you do if this happened to you?

FF[/QUOTE]

I too am in the hospitality business, have been for a long time and while this is not normal behavior in the states and while I probably would have been uncomfortable in the situation, the butler apparently had done a great job. If he had done a lousy job it would have been a much more difficult situation.

The guy did a good job and that's really all that matters. Reporting him to RCCL is not appropriate, you could ultimately hurt someone who took good care of you(I assume he took good care of you since you tipped 3X the suggested amount). JMHO

Archived