Monarch - OV stateroom vs. SOV stateroom?

tm5to1

Looking to cruise on the Monarch for the first time. It'll just be a quick 3-night cruise, so I don't see us spending a ton of time in the room. Is a Superior Ocean View Stateroom really worth the extra cost over an Ocean View Stateroom? They are both on the upper decks, so either one would have a window instead of a porthole. Thoughts? Experiences? Thanks!

The superior ocean view cabins will have a little refrigerator and a safe. Also has a little corner couch. The window looks out over the lifeboats.

I have pictures of regular ocean view cabins on Monarch in my webshots album. Click the link below.

OV~122 square feet

SOV~157 square feet

Is it worth it? Depends on the price difference, but I would say yes. We usually have balcony cabins, but Monarch does not have standard balcony cabins, only JS and up, so we had an SOV and I didn't feel cramped. I don't think I could have done the smaller one.

Turns out the price difference is insignificant. However, on the SOV on deck 9, the window overlooks the lifeboats below (on deck 8). Apparently you can't even see the water below? If this is the case, I will give up a little space and go with the OV on deck 7 for the view. Thoughts?

Heads up!

Deck 7 is the Promenade...people will be walking outside your OV room...

Deck 8 is obstructed view, but that's the ones we went with for our next sailing. I'm not keen on a porthole, and I'll deal with a lifeboat dangling there...but I am really not keen on people walking by my room all the time.

Turns out the price difference is insignificant. However, on the SOV on deck 9, the window overlooks the lifeboats below (on deck 8). Apparently you can't even see the water below? If this is the case, I will give up a little space and go with the OV on deck 7 for the view. Thoughts?

You will see even less water from deck 7..there is an at least 4-5ft walk way around the entire ship here...the cabins on deck 8 really are not that bad...it's not like the lifeboat is completely blocking the windown..you can still see sky & water when you look out...you just have to look around the lifeboat..we had a deck 8 cabin on Sovereign & it was great!

We had an OV on deck 4 last month (four night sailing) and the room was perfect for us. While small (as I am told all rooms are on Monarch), we were really in the room so little that it didn't matter! Plus, being on 4 we were right in the middle of everything (literally, we were right around the corner from the guest services desk) so we thought the room was perfect. Just my thoughts...

Either way, you will have a great time, Monarch is a fun little ship!

If the different is "insignificant", take the SOV and run! You'll gain about 35 square feet, which means about a 4 foot-deeper room, plus the couch as a PP said.

I thought the best improvement was the bed arrangement (assuming you want them together). In a regular OV or inside, there's only room to put the long side up against one wall, meaning someone has to climb to the foot of the bed or over the other to get out. The SOV gives you enough room to put the "headboard against a side wall with room to get on both sides.

You won't see straight down to the water, but you have a nice picture window with a little ledge to perch on next to the window.

PHXscuba

Looking to cruise on the Monarch for the first time. It'll just be a quick 3-night cruise, so I don't see us spending a ton of time in the room. Is a Superior Ocean View Stateroom really worth the extra cost over an Ocean View Stateroom? They are both on the upper decks, so either one would have a window instead of a porthole. Thoughts? Experiences? Thanks!

I would normally say 'not worth the difference'. But I just compared prices on a couple of randomly selected cruises, and the difference was only $30pp. I would jump on that in a second if it applies to your trip. When the Monarch was in LA, it was usually $100+pp more for an SO.

If the price difference is significant, I would go with cabin selection almost price alone. I attached a link at the bottom of this message for the deck 8 cabins. Words of caution: Deck 8 - stay mid-ship or forward due to noise from Boleros on deck 7 aft. Deck 7 - you will have to keep blinds closed, as the public walkway is outside, and people can see in. Deck 6 - joggers tend to run on deck 7, so you may be woken up early. I would never book a 'guarantee' rate on this ship due to everything I said above. And...my DW would not stay in any cabin below deck 4 - "it's 'stuffy'".

Monarch Deck 8- minimally obstructed views (Between lifeboats)

8008 8508

8030 8530

8032 8532

8034 8534

8036 8536

8038 8538

8048 8548

8050 8550

8060 8560

The link below is from a previous post - that includes a map of that deck.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=16660071&postcount=1138

Dave

I would normally say 'not worth the difference'. But I just compared prices on a couple of randomly selected cruises, and the difference was only $30pp. I would jump on that in a second if it applies to your trip. When the Monarch was in LA, it was usually $100+pp more for an SO.

If the price difference is significant, I would go with cabin selection almost price alone. I attached a link at the bottom of this message for the deck 8 cabins. Words of caution: Deck 8 - stay mid-ship or forward due to noise from Boleros on deck 7 aft. Deck 7 - you will have to keep blinds closed, as the public walkway is outside, and people can see in. Deck 6 - joggers tend to run on deck 7, so you may be woken up early. I would never book a 'guarantee' rate on this ship due to everything I said above. And...my DW would not stay in any cabin below deck 4 - "it's 'stuffy'".

Monarch Deck 8- minimally obstructed views (Between lifeboats)

8008 8508

8030 8530

8032 8532

8034 8534

8036 8536

8038 8538

8048 8548

8050 8550

8060 8560

The link below is from a previous post - that includes a map of that deck.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=16660071&postcount=1138

Dave

We had a cabin in between the life boats and had lots of clear space straingt ahead. You only could see the life boats if you looked to the right or the left. Use the cabins as listed for your guide. As far as cabins below deck 4 they are just "as stuffy" as any other cabin on the ship that does not have a balcony.

Archived