Excursion selection for Mariner Jan 17th

We are sailing Mariner Jan 17th to Mexico. We've done the Caribbean several times but this is our first to Pacific Mexico. Any suggestions for the best "beach day excursion"? A "whale watching excursion"? Or what port is the best to just "get off & explore the culture and shop". Thanks for any ideas.

We are on the Feb 7th sailing.

The most popular thing to do in Cabo (in January/February) is a whale watching tour. For the time period we will be there, it will be spectacular. Here are my photos from Feb 2008, taken from the catamaran Pez Gato.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562535753iirWdb

Popular in Puerto Vallarta is the zipline canopy tour. There are some that go tree-to-tree and some that cross over a lush river valley. One also includes rappelling down right next to a waterfall. Another popular tour (for families) is the Marigalante Pirate Ship (snorkeling & beach time included). This one unfortunately might not be available to us because it starts at 8am and we dock at 8am. The Marigalante also has an evening sailing (for adults) but that is also problematic because it starts at 5pm and would not end early enough before the ship sails. It's "possible" Marigalante could alter it's schedule for the cruise ship but I don't know. The cruise ships used to stay later in PV (10pm) and that was great because you could do the Pirate Ship or the Rhythms of the Night dinner show. Even just walk the Malecon which is great to see at night.

Popular in Mazatlan is a tour by "Mazatlan Frank" or horseback riding with "Randi's Happy Horses".

Our plan is zipline or something else in PV. City Tour/Stone Island with Mazatlan Frank in Mazatlan. Whale Watching on the catamaran Pez Gato in Cabo!

Or what port is the best to just "get off & explore the culture and shop".

I feel that Puerto Vallarta is the best port to just get off the ship and explore the culture. Take a taxi downtown. Walk along the Malecon. Go to the Public Market. Visit Our Lady of Guadalupe Church. Explore the side streets of Gringo Gulch. Puerto Vallarta is a beautiful city, and I believe it has the nicest downtown area of the three ports.

Hi,

We are crusing the same week as you and checking on excursions as well. I keep hearing the Stone Island is the place to go in Mazatlan. I have also heard that the zipline in a blast.

Look forward to meeting you in January.

Joe & Lynnette

Archived