Passenger from Spirit shot during attempted robbery

freestylecruizer

I chatted with the Staff Chief Engineer, Chief Engineer and Captain about this when I was on board, and no, they are not changing this port - it will be included in the Spirit's itinerary until reposition in April.

Please tell me what port is this?

Thanks!:confused:

Please tell me what port is this?

Thanks!:confused:

According to the article it happened in Santo Tomas de Castillo, Guatemala.

But things like this can happen in any city, so as they said in the old TV Show - Hill Street Blues-- "lets be careful out there"

I have very mixed emotions about this port. I have been there twice and one thing I have found is that you have to base your decisions on what to do in this port with a lot of common sense and on the current issues at play during the time you will be there. Flashdog mentioned Javier Putal from Casa Rosada earlier in this thread. Javier always seems to have a handle on what is going on there and has been a very trustworthy and reliable barometer to help me decide what is prudent while visiting this port. He has proven to be very honest and always trying to put peoples safety first.

The first time we went there he took us on a lovely tour of the Rio Dulce and we had a lovely lunch at his hotel. The second time we went there I knew there was a lot of political unrest due to recent incidents of foriegners and police being kidnapped and held hostage in the area. Unfortunately, NCL was not informing passengers of what had transpired there or of any safety issues, but I emailed Javier and he told me straight up, he had suspended tours and it was NOT safe. So that visit we simply stayed in the shopping area and then returned to the ship, and enjoyed a nice day in the pool onboard. People are sometimes too trusting and do not take the time to really know if the places they are going to visit are actually safe or not.

I am so sad to hear of this terrible tragedy. I hope that people will learn from it so it doesn't happen again.

What`s safe anymore ? Last night in my city three people were shot ,should I now not go there anymore? I was on this cruise and stopped at the same cemetary, no problems.He was with a group from denmark and germany (Albatrose travel) probaly wasn,t told the dangers of that port.The cruise lines have a bad reputation in not pointing out the bad just where to find diamonds International mostly.

Why do the cruise ships still go there. We'll be on this cruise in April 2010 and I think it'll be a good day to spend on the ship.:eek:

If the cruise ships stop going anywhere a murder occurs---they'll have nowhere to go

If the cruise ships stop going anywhere a murder occurs---they'll have nowhere to go

Yeah, that's a valid point. I remember a while back, a bunch of people were up in arms about a cancelled excursion. Turns out the owner of the excursion company was murdered in his sleep. Doing your homework and being careful is paramount.

Yeah, that's a valid point. I remember a while back, a bunch of people were up in arms about a cancelled excursion. Turns out the owner of the excursion company was murdered in his sleep. Doing your homework and being careful is paramount.

OMG, what port was this? What tour operator?

This is awful! I have been to Belize and Honduras. I guess there is something to be said as to why there are armed guards at checkpoints throughout Belize. I felt more at ease in Roatan, but will definitely be more cautious in the future.

I too have been to guatamala (Santo Tomas) and the first time we hired a water taxi with about 10 others. They took us all over but our boat stranded us twice. They seemed nonchalant about it. I was nervous we would not get back to the boat on time as the operators seemed very unconcerned. Having a boat stall repeatedly does not engender faith in your tour operator. The second time, we had read of others being shot while on tours and decided to stay within the port walls. Not much fun but not willing to chance it with the numbers of tourists being injured/robbed.
I guess I just dont care to come to this port again. I don't feel safe here like I do in dozens of other ports. Just MHO.

Archived