Process of doing the baths on your own!

PinkSand26

Hello,

I am a first time cruiser and want to see the Baths with my husband. We are doing other excursions on our trip and would love to save some money and do this on our own and not through the ship. I looked at Smiths and Speedy's ferries and think we are going to go with Speedy's ferry times. Our ship is in port from 7am-3pm. I think we are going to take the 9am departure and 1pm return. (wish we had more time, but dont want to miss the ship!) Anyways...can someone explain the whole process from start to finish as far as what to do and where to walk to the ferry once we get off the ship and what to do when we get off the ferry ect? It would be a nice start to finish process so we don't get lost or confused!!! Thanks!!!! :)

Hello,

I am a first time cruiser and want to see the Baths with my husband. We are doing other excursions on our trip and would love to save some money and do this on our own and not through the ship. I looked at Smiths and Speedy's ferries and think we are going to go with Speedy's ferry times. Our ship is in port from 7am-3pm. I think we are going to take the 9am departure and 1pm return. (wish we had more time, but dont want to miss the ship!) Anyways...can someone explain the whole process from start to finish as far as what to do and where to walk to the ferry once we get off the ship and what to do when we get off the ferry ect? It would be a nice start to finish process so we don't get lost or confused!!! Thanks!!!! :)

OK From start to finish:

From the ship you should be able to actually see the ferry dock. It's about a 10-15 minute walk BUT allow at least 20 minutes.

Facing the shore, the ferry dock is your left. There should be a tourism booth at the dock, is there is just ask them to point you in the right direction.

When you get to the ferry dock, you may be able to buy a ticket with an add-on for the taxi to the Baths - if you can do this - it will save you a buck or two. I do NOT recommend buying the package that includes lunch because you don't have a lot of time.

BE VERY SURE TO KEEP your ticket in a safe place, you need it for the return. If they give you a separate taxi slip, also keep it - since they usually don't collect them until the RETURN taxi.

MAKE VERY SURE that you understand the return ferry schedule.

The ferry ride will take approx 30-40 minutes. There are washrooms on the ferry. Bring lots of water for Virgin Gorda.

Once the ferry docks at VG, you will see open-air jitney style bus-taxis. These are

the "taxis" that you take to The Baths - just buy a ticket OR show the driver your taxi-ticket (if you bought it from the ferry people) and board - remember DON"T give it to the driver - you need it for your return "taxi" ride. Once your "taxi" is full (it won't take long), the driver will leave for The Baths. The ride is short - about 5 minutes.

You will be dropped at The Top of The Baths parking lot where you will see a restaurant and shops. There will be signs indicating where the trail down to The Baths starts. I have not been there since the admission fee to The Baths was imposed (but I am glad they did this - it's not a lot and it helps to keep the place up) - so I don't know where you pay that.

The trail goes downhill and is not difficult but I strongly suggest wearing decent footwear (like sneakers or sports sandals). Do not wear slippy flat soled sandals - since there are one or two spots that can be a little slidely.

At the bottom of the trail (takes about 15 minutes), there will be a beach bar and restaurant with lockers to your right (facing the ocean) and the entrance to The actual rock formation of The Baths will be to your left (very obvious). There is a nice small beach here. If you have water socks change into them before you go into The Baths.

The trail THROUGH the Baths (not rushing) takes about 20 minutes but allow at least 30-45 minutes to appreciate the Baths.

Once you make it through the Baths there will be more large rocks and then another beach (Devil's Bay) - larger than the first one - good snorkeling but it can be rough.

To get back to The Top of The Baths you have TWO choices because there are TWO trails that lead back up to the parking lot from Devil's Bay.

1. you can go back the way you came (back through The Baths and then up the hill). This is the best choice for the directionally challenged.

2. there is a trail that leads back to the parking lot directly from Devil's Bay. It is easier than going back through The Baths BUT it is a little longer and not well marked. It will take you to the other side of the parking lot.

My recommendation - IF you did not find the Baths hard to get through and you are directionally challenged - go back the way you came. If you found the Baths a little challenging, take the alternate route. In either case allow PLENTY of time to get back to the parking lot - at least 30 minutes.

The jitney-taxis will leave about 10-15 minutes before the ferry departure time. Just show the driver your taxi ticket. As long as you are back at the VG ferry docks a few minutes before departure time, you will be OK. The ferries are often a little late leaving but DON"T COUNT ON THAT.

E.G. 1PM ferry departure time - make sure you are in the Top of The Baths parking lot NO LATER than 12:45.

Good Luck - we have done this a number of times and it really is not hard - just be aware of times.

Archived