What to do in Barbados

highlandshores

barbados is one of the best islands to visit in terms of many options to do. there are great beaches, beautiful gardens, incredible vistas, a wonderful wildlife park,complete with wild monkeys. personally, i would recommend doing a little research on these boards or a tour book before deciding. we have been to harrison's caves and silvermoon but not before we had spent many days seeing the rest of barbados first. my son and his wife went to barbados for a day last year and took one of the tours provided by glory tours. they felt it was one of their best shore days and got to see many of the highlights in one day.

steve

Just returned from Barbados. We had considered going with either Silver Moon or Shasa. I am so glad I chose Shasa. We had a great trip. Jason and his wife are amazing. The boat is much smaller than Silver Moon, however there was still pleanty of room as there were only a total of four of us on the tour. Jason went with a smaller boat so he could give you more personalized attention and he does. He took us to spot to snorkel with the turtles that the other tours don't go too. We were the only ones there and had the turtles all to ourselves. They were amazing came right up to you. He will take you to snorkel over a wreck if you want, but suggested we go to another reef since there were three cruise ships in port and it would be very crowded. Once again a great location, we were the only ones there. Jason has lived in Barbados all his life and has been sailing since he was 13 yrs old. His wife met us at the pier as promised and was there to pick us up and take us back when the tour was over. She even brings water to wash the sand from your feet before you get back in the van. She also was great showing us some of the hotels and pointing things out both ways. She was nice enough to drive a little further on the way back and drop us off in front of store we wanted to shop at. I highly recommend Shasa.

Thanks for the response. I will look into that. Was it a catamaran? What cruise line were you on? I am new at cruising and just found out you can't take booze on board...lol

Yes, it is a catamaran, and we were on a Princess Cruise. If you go on Princess, no problem taking booze on board. You just have to put it in your carry on. They scan it but don't care as long as it in your carry on. In fact we left out of San Juan and they have a liquor store in the waiting area to check in which they will tell you just put it in your carry on. There were hundreds of people that took on liquor. You can carry cokes, water, and wine on in the open. We left our bottles of liquor right on the top of the bar in the room and had no issues at all. If you travel on other cruise lines just get rum runners (google rum runners and you will get the link) Plastic flexible non breakable cheap flasks, just fill them up and put them in your luggage before you check them. No problem getting it on board.

I have been checking it out and it looks great. Think we will be doing the catamaran you suggested.

We are on Royal Caribbean and it says you cannot even bring it on in your luggage. If they find it you can be kicked off. Don't know if they go thru all your luggage or what! Kind of weird. But thanks for the info. Nice to have all these people helping you out. Cannot wait to return the favor.

We'll be in Barbados Jan. 16. The caves should be open by then . Thinking of booking a cruise with Shasa in the a.m. 'til 1:00.I thought we could go back to the ship for lunch and take off to the caves. We leave at 6:00. Can this be done from the dock and what would be the time needed to get there abd do the tour at the caves?

Archived