Oh, to be in England

Now that April's there,

And whoever wakes in England

Sees, some morning, unaware,

That the lowest boughs and the brushwood sheaf

Round the elm-tree bole are in tiny leaf,

While the chaffinch sings on the orchard bough

In England - now!

That is if it isn't snowing!!!!! ;);););)!

We are booked and feel the price was right. We did our own air and Silversea gave us a $500 credit which we thought was very fair.

Isn't anyone else going with us? Great itinerary - a little of this and a little of that ... New York, Boston, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, all those great sea days ... then Ireland, Wales ...ending in Southampton.

• 1 month later...

We did a similar crossing in the opposite direction a few years ago - except we docked in Boston. Enjoyed it greatly. St. Johns Newfoundland was a surprise; a repeat visit to Halifax, which is a nice town and has an excellent maritime museum with exhibits on the Titanic and the Halifax harbor disaster. There seem to be quite a few people who get really picky about the EB/WB question and the gained or lost hours en route. We've crossed both ways and don't find it that much of 'a deal.' But sure love sea days!

(B/t/w, are you in the city? I spent my first 30 years growing up near Lincoln Park/Old Town, and the last 20 (before moving north) living on the N'west side.)

• 3 weeks later...
We did a similar crossing in the opposite direction a few years ago - except we docked in Boston. Enjoyed it greatly. St. Johns Newfoundland was a surprise; a repeat visit to Halifax, which is a nice town and has an excellent maritime museum with exhibits on the Titanic and the Halifax harbor disaster. There seem to be quite a few people who get really picky about the EB/WB question and the gained or lost hours en route. We've crossed both ways and don't find it that much of 'a deal.' But sure love sea days!

(B/t/w, are you in the city? I spent my first 30 years growing up near Lincoln Park/Old Town, and the last 20 (before moving north) living on the N'west side.)

Thanks for the info ltsally! Yes, we live right downtown in a highrise on the river. LOVE it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We received a letter today from SS saying that in honor of the Maiden EASTBOUND Crossing on Silver Spirit April 23rd, we will have a special event in Cork, Ireland and special SS corporate guests aboard our voyage.

The event will be exclusive to SS guests and will be a choral recital of the group Anuna, the Irish a cappella ensemble also featured in Riverdance. The performance will be at St. Fin Barre's Cathedral which was built in 1870. The Lord Mayor of Cork will attend.

In addition to Captain Corsaro and the "regular" SS staff we will be joined on our cruise by Steve Tucker, VP-Sales North America, Trudy Refern, Sr VP Sales and Marketing UK and Joe Proto Director Worlwide Venetian Society.

More excited than ever now!

We're Chicagoans (Deerfield) and are also booked. Only 6 1/2 weeks. Domer

Hi Domer,

Great! Glad to hear we have more people going. I hope there are some more lurkers out there who will finally make themselves known.

We are Bill and Patty and we live in downtown Chicago.

Thought for your trip:

Oh, to be in England

Now that April's there,

And whoever wakes in England

Sees, some morning, unaware,

That the lowest boughs and the brushwood sheaf

Round the elm-tree bole are in tiny leaf,

While the chaffinch sings on the orchard bough

In England - now!

That is if it isn't snowing!!!!! ;);););)!

Getting close now!

A couple we met on the recent cruise to Tahiti will be on board. That will put them at over 600 days!

Sounds like a great trip. Hope you have wonderful weather.

Good to hear that! And thanks for the good weather wishes. We have our fingers crossed and are hoping for relatively calm seas and weather similar to Alaska last September and Cape Horn in Dec 2008. We were lucky both times! We know it won't be warm.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, name a time. We are arriving at LaGuardia on a UAL flight that leaves ORD at 10:30 and arrives at 1:30 EDST. I expect to be on the Spirit around 4 or so. Maybe we're on the same flight (or are you on the Delta flight) and will catch the same transportation to the ship.

Domer (of Dick and Jane fame).

OK, name a time. We are arriving at LaGuardia on a UAL flight that leaves ORD at 10:30 and arrives at 1:30 EDST. I expect to be on the Spirit around 4 or so. Maybe we're on the same flight (or are you on the Delta flight) and will catch the same transportation to the ship.

Domer (of Dick and Jane fame).

Hi Domer, Our flight must be the United one just prior to yours. (We booked our own flights and took the credit.) I think we get in to LaGuardia around 11:15. We thought we might board and then get back off the ship. We haven't been to NYC for awhile and we thought it might be fun to walk around, if the weather is decent. What time do you usually go to dinner? Would 7 be too late to meet for drinks? We are Patty and Bill. Did I already say that?

Archived