Cruise ships visiting Japan during Cherry Blossom Time

Oceans&Rivers

Someone asked about cruises that include stops in Japan to view cherry blossoms, and the following is the answer I gave there. The information is most likely to be useful in the Destination Asia forum, so here it is again:

"Several cruise lines try to time their visits to Japan so that cherry blossom viewing is possible.

On average (using the years 2005, 2006 and 2007), the earliest viewing (when blossoms begin to open) will begin in Naha (southern Japan) around January 19th, then most of Japan will begin to see cherry blossoms begin to open towards the end of March to the beginning of April. In northern Japan (the island of Hokkaido), the cities of Hakodate and Sapporo have average begin dates of May 3rd and May 5th, respectively.

The above is from http://www.japan-guide.com.

Choosing Kobe, Japan (near Kyoto), I found the following cruise ships visiting that city during the time period mentioned:

Holland America Amsterdam

Oceania Nautica

Costa Classica

Royal Caribbean Legend of the Seas

Seabourn / Seabourn Pride (arrives a bit late in the season, though)

You will probably be able to find others. I chose Kobe arbitrarily because Kobe is close to Kyoto, and no trip to Japan should miss Kyoto."

Princess also visits Japan during the season

Sun Princess' 42 night "2010 Cherry Blossom" cruise departs Sydney on March 3rd with stops in Nagasaki, Osaka and Yokohama in the last week of March.

Archived