Carnival Legend for 1st cruise

jtdlmc

I think I have finally come up with the cruise that is perfect for us - timewise, port-wise and pricewise!!! Legend. I'm probably going to get an obstructed view balcony (I saw pics on another thread). What can you tell me about the ship/ports? Any hints and/or tips? The only downside is that there is only one flight from Tampa to Detroit on the night we would disembark and it doesn't leave Tampa until late in the evening so I figured we'd rent a car and drive to Orlando airport for an early afternoon flight. Anyone done that before?

I think I have finally come up with the cruise that is perfect for us - timewise, port-wise and pricewise!!! Legend. I'm probably going to get an obstructed view balcony (I saw pics on another thread). What can you tell me about the ship/ports? Any hints and/or tips? The only downside is that there is only one flight from Tampa to Detroit on the night we would disembark and it doesn't leave Tampa until late in the evening so I figured we'd rent a car and drive to Orlando airport for an early afternoon flight. Anyone done that before?

Nothing about the ports but you do know that Tampa is an hour and a half to Orlando so if you do the rental car thing don't book your flight too early in the afternoon.

We were on Legend this past April. Loved the ship and the ports. Roatan in particular. IMHO 4 ports on a 7-day cruise is a little hectic for me, but that's a matter of personal preference.

I think you've made a great choice. Have a great time and report back about your experience!!

I think the Legend is a great choice for a first cruise. I love having four ports. I would recommend checking the port of calls boards for ideas of what you'd like to do in each port.

In Grand Cayman, by far the most popular excursion is to interact with the stingrays. These guys are unbelievably tame and friendly. We booked with Nativways and the tour included stingrays, some snorkelling time and lunch at a beautiful beach called Rum Point.

In Roatan, we booked with Victor Bodden. He offers all day private tours of the island and includes many different activity choices. However, Carnival is opening a new pier in Roatan and they have not made arrangements to allow private tour guides to operate there yet. Tours with the cruiselines are always more expensive than private. Some new cruisers feel more comfortable booking through the cruiselines though

Belize is a port that you want to book an excursion. The port area is not so great, but the countryside is beautiful. My favorite tour was a ship sponsored tour to Altun Ha ruins that also included a trip down a scenic river with lots of native wildlife. Tubing is also very popular here, but I haven't dome that yet.

Cozumel is pretty easy to get around and has plenty of beaches within an easy taxi ride.

Tampa is a great port to come and go from. We did the self departure from the ship and were able to get to the airport by a few minutes after 8am.

I'm not sure how easy it would be to get to Orlando though.

Archived