DCL vs. NCL

I posted this on the NCL board so thought it appropriate to post here as well...hope it might help!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My friends on Cruise Critic...just returned a few hours ago from a week on Disney Magic and wanted to share with you my opinion.

As you might know, we grew fond of NCL after experiencing their suite product and 'switched' from Celebrity to NCL a few years ago. We tried Disney as we were taking a 9 year old with us. As background, there were 5 of us; ages: 32, 33, 33, 38, 9.

Flew into Orlando the day prior and stayed at Renaissance Orlando Airport. It was nice...being gold members offered complimentary breakfast. Reserved car service through Sir Randolphs, stretch Rolls Royce, while it may be a Rolls, it has seen better days. My Honda is in better shape. I do not recommend.

We had two category 4 staterooms-deluxe family verandah; deck 8 (highest stateroom deck) . They measured 304 SF each and were adjoining with a door mid-cabin that connected them. The balcony's were not moveable and did not allow for the flow to continue outside.

Cabins: Pretty spacious with 5 sleeping areas in each room; 10 sleeping areas and 5 people...sounds good, right? (back of mind...where's my NCL Suite). (in each cabin there was a murphy bed, pull down from ceiling bed, sleep sofa, and two regular beds). Liked the 'split bathrooms' with toilet and sink in one room and shower/bath/sink in another room. Convenient. Lots of storage. Lots...drawers and shelves everywhere...many unused areas which is pretty uncommon for us. Top cabin deck (deck 8) and it was SO loud. We were mid-ship on the deck that housed all of the suites and priciest rooms and from dawn til dusk we heard running, chairs being moved, jumping, everything. We had a large family adjacent to us and their baby crying at 2 AM was shared by more than just their cabin. Toiletries were great...products used were H20 Marine...very good. Not fair to judge as I am comparing NCL Suites to DCL cabins, but when you get to pricing you'll understand.

Food: A huge consideration for us. We eat out almost every night...and I am the one at the Ruby Tuesday's To Go curbside pick up almost daily, it's somewhat important to me. The food was very good throughout. Regardless of venue, the quality of product was high. Hamburgers, hot dogs, mac n cheese, the BEST chicken strips, pretty much everything was delicious. All sandwiches served on 12 grain rolls, room service was fresh (THE best lasagne ever on the room service menu), Maine lobsters were fantastic (and I'm not the biggest lobster fan). Very good food. But...dinner at 815PM sharp, in this location, and you must wear this..Did not feel like vacation. Loved the food...hated the regimentation. We had to plan our evenings around dinner. And, unlike a suite on NCL, we didn't have the option of eating in our ensuite dining area. We liked the food very much...missed Freestyle more. LOVED the open soda fountain, no charges, just help yourself.

Entertainment: 10+ The best. Have never seen better on any ship. The singers were top quality broadway calibre; the stages/costumes amazing. I would have paid to see the productions and I live in Las Vegas. They were brilliant...real SNOW falling on you during winter portions! bubbles blowing; confetti falling; fireworks; just excellent Disney quality at it's best. Can't compliment them enough and they deserve the standing ovation they get each night.

Ship: Isn't there ONE quiet spot on board? No. Regardless of our pursuit to find a place to play cards/games on board, there is not any. The 'game area' is a lounge that has activities going on continuously. There are quiet areas for 18 and older but NONE for families. The ship is poorly designed to try and meet every area for every family. It would have been very simple to find this area on NCL, Celebrity, Princess, or RCI. This is one lively ship that caters to kids. Obviously it's a Disney Cruise, but they tout their different areas for different groups. My goodness....the kids. Everywhere

Excursions: Most cruises have the same excursions, Cozumel, Grand Caymen, whatever, but Disney's private island...WOW! It is simply amazing. Perfect beaches, perfect water, perfect service, hands down the best place I've been. Yes, I want to live there. Ribs for lunch, 2 for 1 Bahama Mamas after 2PM...life is good.

So...after a nice week on DCL, we are SO back to NCL. We missed having a suite...oh, check the prices of a Disney Suite...my quote was $12,200 for a 1 bedroom suite (and that included me on a sleep sofa). CRAZY! The price for our two rooms was certainly equivalent to that of an NCL suite. And still no butler. As we were on the only deck that had suites, we saw them...very shabby. I'm not kidding. There is just nothing fancy about Disney. Fun, yes, Fancy, no. NCL has such nice suites.

Stayed at the Hyatt at MCO airport while waiting for return flight. Excellent property.

I was told by my partner...and this is serious..."Book us on Epic for next year in an Owner's Suite"...and this was 3 days into the cruise.

It was fun, but we sure missed NCL.

Archived