Anyone about to go to Caribbean on Destiny?

slhw

Hi

We're going b-2-b on 10th Jan - anyone going before then as we are interested in who the entertainment team are this year etc? Been watching prices for our cruise and they are coming down after being a massive £2000+ each at one point for our equivalent - outside, AI, Manchester. Am worried that Thomson, who we love, are putting themselves right outside our price bracket.

Sandie

We're going for 2 weeks on 17th January!!! We were on the Destiny in June and were speaking to the entertainment team and they said they were staying on for the winter season. So I think it will be Paul as CD and Dan as ACD. The only one leaving will be Emma as her contract runs out in November (I think I've remembered that right - had a few glasses of wine since we were onboard!!)

Ann

Hi Sandie and Ann,

We're not going, but we're on her next September. So as she's an old lady, look after her so they bring her back in one piece. :D

We have not been out there, but I saw yesterday that the new ship, the Dream is going to Mexico on 2 of her stops in 2011. We really fancy that so we can see the Mayan ruins.

Have a lovely cruise when you go.

Berwyn

• 2 weeks later...

Our 1st time on destiny but we cruised last yr on OV2.

By and large $'s will suffice on most islands tho u may get ur change in local $'s, but on martinique you'll need Euros.

By better 1/2 is taking 2 "posh" dresses 1 4 each week but is also taking more than just T-shirts n shorts as well.

Trips can only be booked onboard,unlike OV.

Harrison's Cave on Barbados is shut btw.

Xmas Day on St Kitts all we're doing is a beach day, my cousin told me the rail day trip is quite dull n not v.comfortable, so if u want to share a taxi to south frigate bay let me know lol.....

Not long now !!!!

• 1 month later...

We had an inside cabin so all comments refer to them.

They are small...very small and the walls are very thin as well.

Top tip...take some of your own coathangers, drawer space is limited too.

Outside cabins are bigger but the beds are singles in an L shape.

For some reason we had more TV channels on deck 3 than they did on deck 6 ?.

AI upgrade is available on-board, cheaper than from home(we were told).

We had 4 formal nights but you'll only have the weekly captains gala night most cruisers did dress up, other evenings were smart casual mainly shirts for the men rather than T-shirts, so a couple of "posh" frocks should be enough.

Drinks prices are UKish,,,£2.75 a pint or can, £1.25 for a 330ml soft drink, £3.40 cocktails and £1.90 for non-alcoholic ones.

As usual most trips are available cheaper on the quayside if you're prepared to wait and maybe haggle some. Martinique though is very expensive for taxis and on the Dom Rep there is not much choice for indepenants.

If you want a cheap beach day get the local bus or mini-buses on Barbados to Holetown (40 mins) $3 RETURN for 2 !! be mindful though if you use the buses they don't run as often and you have to buy tokens before you get on the bus and on the return mini-buses will tell you they'll take the tokens and then may not once you're on. Mini-buses have very loud music playing too, so the choice is yours.

The bus station is a short walk from the port gates.

Hope this helps some, if there's anything else let me know.:p

I'm glad Emma is still onboard. She did say she was going to try and stay on but there was some details she needed to sort out. I think Paul and Dan are a great team together, as is Kate.

Got the cases down from the loft now - just got to sort out what to take and what to leave at home.:rolleyes:

Ann

Hi, we fly from Birmingham on the 10th btb to the Destiny. Really excited now. Bit worried about the snow so have decided to check into a hotel that has parking too. Great price and relief that only 4 mins away instead of 70. Have packed far too many things...as our 1st cruise and now our engagement cruise too, was not too sure what to take but so looking forward to it all.

LOL

North&South

x

Yes I agree, Dan has a great voice. Don't miss the two of them doing a swing session in the afternoon, really good fun.

If you haven't seen the farce Pyjamas for Six, that's well worth seeing even if you go the late showing they do, very funny.

So are you actually engaged yet ??...I found a lovely beach to propose on but it was raining that day !!!! grrr so had to do it on another beach (in the rain still grr) on Grenada.

You can always do it on board too,,,,in front of the whole cruise liner ??? No lol !!

As long as you stay under the weight limit you'll be fine, invest in travel scales for peace of mind.

I only took 3 shirts cos on OV2 last year dining was buffet and informal and tho this was informal most men in the restaraunt wore collared shirts.

Enjoy

We are a party of 8 travelling from Gatwick on the 10th to the Destiny and like you all we are looking forward to it too. This will be a 2nd cruise for 4 of us and the rest are first timers.

See you all in the bar, I will be with the tall bald geordie, please say hi.

Debbie

Hiya - are the Top Men still on board as well?

Also just wondered if you could help with a query? TA have told us we have to pay an entry and exit charge in and out of the Dominican Republic airport, which works out at $30 each. I've looked at the back of the brochure but it says cruise passengers don't have to pay it!! Bit confusing really.:confused: We are doing a 2 week cruise, not a cruise and stay in the Dom Rep.

Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks

Ann xx

Hiya - are the Top Men still on board as well?

Also just wondered if you could help with a query? TA have told us we have to pay an entry and exit charge in and out of the Dominican Republic airport, which works out at $30 each. I've looked at the back of the brochure but it says cruise passengers don't have to pay it!! Bit confusing really.:confused: We are doing a 2 week cruise, not a cruise and stay in the Dom Rep.

Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks

Ann xx

Hi Ann,

We most definitely did not pay the airport tax at the Dom Rep - like you we did the b-2-b so our day in La Romana in the middle wasn't an issue . As a cruise passenger you are deemed to be 'in transit'.

Having said that, they did try to charge us (and fellow passengers) at check-in for our return flight. We protested strongly at which point they looked on a computer print-out sheet and determined we were on the list of 'cruise only' and waived the charge. As they tried again, and again, with other passengers we got the feeling they were trying it on with everybody hoping you'd pay. (Our flight tickets were in a booklet which clearly indicated we were on the cruise so there shouldn't be a problem proving your status.) The word was travelling down the queue of passengers very quickly - 'Don't pay!' being the message!

It is true to say some did have to pay but they were the 'cruise and stay' passengers as if you have stopped in Dom Rep then you are required to pay the tax.

This message was discussed at length last year as more of us returned with our experiences and as far as I can remember no cruise-only passengers paid - so stick to your guns (keeping a careful eye on theirs!!!:eek:). Joking aside, I'm sure you won't have a problem - but might need to speak up if asked to pay at check-in.

Have a great trip, Ann. How great to be looking forward to escaping to the sun at the moment. We had a fab time last year. Enjoy! :D

Thanks for the information Kruzseeka - we will certainly stick to our guns!!

Looking outside at the moment, it's 6inch deep in snow and I've been getting all my cruise clothes ready. It seems bizarre picking out sundresses, shorts and vest tops when it's blowing a blizzard outside. To say we are looking forward to it is certainly an understatement!!1:D

Ann

Having just returned I can confirm there is NO FEE to pay while in DOM/REP.

Nor were we asked for one at the check-in.

Btw if there's one area Thomson need to improve it's the check-in procedure when leaving, it is woeful.

Don't pay for premium on Thomson it's not worth it having seen how they're treated.

Having just returned I can confirm there is NO FEE to pay while in DOM/REP.

Nor were we asked for one at the check-in.

Btw if there's one area Thomson need to improve it's the check-in procedure when leaving, it is woeful.

Don't pay for premium on Thomson it's not worth it having seen how they're treated.

What do you mean about the premium seats not being treated well? We've got these, but got them as part of the deal - we didn't have to pay for them?

Ann

Flying 17th Jan and on board 2 weeks. Had a free all inclusive upgrade as booked a year ago. Friend of mine did the cruise in Dec 09 and said long trousers are required for men and shirts or polo shirts to be worn in the evening by men.

Ladies dress code varied from top and trousers every night to dressing up every night, it appears whatever you wear you won't feel out of place.

Entertainment she felt was good if you liked west end show type entertainment, however she also commented that the quizzes were good fun and enjoyable. The on board steel band she felt was also worth a mention

We're going 24th January. can't wait! (Cruise & Stay). Only cruised once before - around 10 years ago with Carnival - 3 day mini cruise around the Bahamas. It rained every day! Hope the weather's better this time!

We're doing the Caribbean Gems cruise. Can anyone give me some advice on the best excursions to take?

We're going for 2 weeks on 17th January!!! We were on the Destiny in June and were speaking to the entertainment team and they said they were staying on for the winter season. So I think it will be Paul as CD and Dan as ACD. The only one leaving will be Emma as her contract runs out in November (I think I've remembered that right - had a few glasses of wine since we were onboard!!)

Ann

Hi Steelerannie,

We will be joining the destiny on the 24th Jan have cruised before on the Crown princess so this will be our seconed cruise and first with thompson would be gratefull of any tips or advice you could pass on, Is thier an roll call for this cruise could not find one any where.

Cheers Kev and Sarah:)

We're going 24th January. can't wait! (Cruise & Stay). Only cruised once before - around 10 years ago with Carnival - 3 day mini cruise around the Bahamas. It rained every day! Hope the weather's better this time!

We're doing the Caribbean Gems cruise. Can anyone give me some advice on the best excursions to take?

We are going on sunday, also cruise and stay at the Riu Bamboo, reports don't look to good at the hotel. will let you know when we get back on the the 22nd !

Then you got a good deal, we were quoted £130 pp.

For that sort of money I'd expect more than a dedicated desk for check-in, which at Dom/Rep moves so slowly "common" travellers get checked in before you do. You're bussed to the airport with the rest of us and have to stand in line with the rest of us, once inside you sit with the rest of us too.

When you come to board even though there's a seperate line for premium passengers, this is largely ignored and anyone is allowed to use it.

Plus we all get a free paper on the way home as well.

Archived