Snorkeling fears

tbmrt

Please don't slam me for these....I've snorkeled from boats on various islands, loved it and want to try the following, but I'm a bit anxious about this. Guess I'm just a wimp!

We're going to GC and I'd love to do some snorkeling at Sunset House or Eden Rock where you get into the water from a ladder.

My concerns: Is it difficult to get into the water without the waves pushing you against the wall?

Also thinking of snorkeling at Cemetery Beach, but worry about getting cut on coral in low water. I had this happen to me in St. Thomas years ago. I just kept snorkeling along and all of a sudden realized I was too close to the bottom!

Reassurances would be appreciated!

The waves are not that bad at Eden Rock as I recall. I have only been diving there, but did not notice any big waves. Looking up, the surface was covered with snorkelers.

Invest in a dive skin, that will protect your skin and they can be had for about $45-$55. Alternatively, invest in a 3mm wetsuit. It will provide buoyancy and keep you warm.

Good luck.

I like the suggestion of a 3mm wetsuit as well. You don't need to get an expensive wetsuit either. The inexpensive wetsuit used for surfing or sailboarding is fine. Don't waste the money on a scuba wetsuit. They are designed with better neoprene because at depth you need better neoprene. As a snorkeler you will not need to worry about the wetsuit at 60 feet. ;)

Archived