Keil Canal or Hamburg?

Altho specific info is not yet available, on prior trips to this region, Oceania offered the option of a shore excursion to Hamburg rather than staying on for the transit thru the canal. Assuming it is an option in July, I would appreciate all comments on whether to stay onboard or go to Hamburg for the day?

-------------

Helen

Altho specific info is not yet available, on prior trips to this region, Oceania offered the option of a shore excursion to Hamburg rather than staying on for the transit thru the canal. Assuming it is an option in July, I would appreciate all comments on whether to stay onboard or go to Hamburg for the day?

-------------

Helen

If you use the search-function at the bottom (right part) and search correctly spelled:

KIEL-CANAL

you will find already such a discussion which was done here before.

There are only smaller ships can go through the canal and many cruisers are booking the cruise to see the canal and experience the landscape and the way the population will greet you.

The question is very simple:

City life vs. countryside life

2008Delphin004Hamburg-vi.jpg

vs.

2008Delphin201Kanal-vi.jpg

Regards,

HeinBloed

Altho specific info is not yet available, on prior trips to this region, Oceania offered the option of a shore excursion to Hamburg rather than staying on for the transit thru the canal. Assuming it is an option in July, I would appreciate all comments on whether to stay onboard or go to Hamburg for the day? Helen

We did the Oceania two week cruise from Dover to Stockholm and enjoyed the transit through the Kiel Canal. It was relaxing and interesting with many people along the banks waiving. The country side is green and pretty.

The whole two weeks was go-go-go, so this one day going through the locks and canal was more than another day-at-sea. I would recommend it.

Heinblod, I am feeling pretty dumb here but my search function is on the top right and when I search correctly spelled Kiel Canal I just get this thread. Is there anything special about the Canal transit or is its allure a relaxing day of watching the world go by, as Lair Bear suggests? Is Hamburg worth the trip?

--------------------

Helen

I might add that when we did this trip on the Regatta last year the optional trip to Hamburg was not available. We never docked somewhere to let you do that before we entered the canal. Have things changed? Does the ship now stop before and after the canal passage to let you do a shorex?

Not sure Lair bear. I did see that available somewhere in Oceania's prior itineraries so being as compulsive as I am I have been thinking about what to do if it is available to us.With such a port intensive cruise it would be OK to just stay put but given the option we are sometimes compelled to go and see what is there ashore:rolleyes:

------------------

Helen

I spent 3 days in Hamburg on a land vacation and really liked it. The nightlife around Reeperbahn is not for everyone, but during the day there are all kinds of things to do and see around the harbor. Bog boat tours. And small boat tours through the canals of the Speicherstadt -- the pride of Bismarck-era merchant marine! Hamburg Dungeon is a fun horror show of an attraction -- a lot of it was not in English but I got the general idea. The glass elevator up the steeple of St Nikolai was a very moving experience, no pun intended.

Oh - and al fresco lunch on Deichstrasse was great fun. But Labskaus is a bit strange if you're not used to it.

Heinblod, I am feeling pretty dumb here but my search function is on the top right and when I search correctly spelled Kiel Canal I just get this thread. Is there anything special about the Canal transit or is its allure a relaxing day of watching the world go by, as Lair Bear suggests? Is Hamburg worth the trip?

--------------------

Helen

I am sorry for my late reply but I was cruising by my self...

7 days of sunshine with 70 F on NORWEGIAN GEM in Western Med Sea...

Now my office is open again...

They changed the menu on this board and the search function appears now at the bottom of the thread:

Here you are:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=920753&highlight=kiel+canal

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1009505&highlight=brunsb%FCttel

Regards,

HeinBloed

Archived