Question for Keltic - A Coruna/Betanzos

Moose Tracks

We'll be in A Coruna in September 2010 from 10-5. While we would love to see Santiago de Compostela, we understand it's a holy year and really don't want to fight the crowds so we are planning to spend the time in A Coruna. With the research I've done, there appears to be enough to fill the day (although others seem to think we can see it all in 3 hours). We enjoy walking so our plan is to follow the promenade to Menhires Park and the Tower, continue the promenade around to the beach area and then cut back through the old town seeing several of the churches and then out to Castillo de San Anton. Do you think this will fill our day? Have you been to Aquarium Finisterrae? Would it be worth seeing? I like to plan something indoors in case it's raining.:eek:

If there isn't enough to do, would you know if there is a bus we could take to Betanzos. You mentioned this town and it's park in one of your postings. I've tried to navigate the bus website, but my Spanish is non-existent and I can't get the English pages to load.

Any help would be appreciated.

Lynn

Maybe this should be moved to the Spain forum.

I was in La Coruna last September and took an excursion to Santiago. It was lovely but boy, was it crowded!! We got pushed and shoved, it was very hard to walk around. I couldn't really enjoy the Cathedral because of it... Our guide told us that was nothing compared to the crowds you'd see during a Holy Year :eek:. So your decision to skip it is a good one!!

Because our excursion lasted almost all day, we only had one hour too enjoy La Coruna and I kinda regreted it! It's a lovely city with its glass façade buildings, Plaza Maria Pita and a lot of restaurants. We had great tapas there.

Maybe this should be moved to the Spain forum.

I had figured La Coruna would be discussed on the Spain board as well, but there was very little information and one post stated that most of the posts we on this board.:confused: Go figure....

I spent quite a bit of time yesterday researching La Coruna and I've come to the conclusion that we can easily fill the day. The galleria houses look wonderful...nothing like we've ever seen. Hopefully the weather will be nice to enjoy walking the promenade. There's also a glass spherical lift that takes you to the top of a mountain to get views of the city. We were in Pisa last year and I hated the crowds, so we'll leave Santiago until a non-holy year!

Lynn

We really enjoyed La Coruna. We walked from the dock to the archeological museum (just go to your right). It is small but interesting. Then we walked further down, quite a ways till we got to the above ground cemetary, then we cut back and explored the town. We had a nice tapas type lunch at one of the cafes (they are enclosed in glass because it rains so much there. My son said they were like terrariums for people.) Lots of good shopping in this town. Definitely a good place to buy well made shoes, leather, etc. Also beautiful flowers.

Sorry for the late replay. Yes....help, the Holy Year will be quite crowded, and our authorities are trying to takcle with this problem. Assuming your are coming in September the city will be packed. Coruña is a big industrial city, to miss most of it, but with some interesting and nice places.

Well, of course you could spend a nice day in La Coruña. I suggest the following plan: get a map at the port and walking to Maria Pita Square, getting a snack (tapas) at the Calle Franja (try at Bombilla for the best ones) and walk up Calle Real to Cantones. Go up again and turn to Plaza San Nicolas. Back to Maria Pita going up to Riego de Agua. Then head north to the old town, paying attention to two points: Santiago Church (actually the oldest) and Plaza Azcarraga and Convento Santa Barbara Square. Down to the port and walk along the coast to the right, towards the Castillo San Anton. Watch out at the old fortifications and city guns in your way

Close to the castle get the oldtimer tram which goes around the penninsula. Get off at Hercules Tower. Next to it it´s the Aquarium, but it´s not worth it. Not particularly big if one has seen a big american one. Get to the tram again to the San Pedro Cable car, to get to a nice park with stunning views. You could do the way back or get off at Riazor Beach to cross to the port.

Betanzos. Probably the nicest medieval village in the whole area. Get a taxi in La Marina (next to the white balconies at the port) and you have bus services every 30 minutes and takes about 40 minutes to get there. ARRIVA is the company which runs services to Betanzos.

http://en.arriva.es/

Thank you so much for the information, Keltic.:D I have a basic map from the internet & Google Earth, so I'll map out the route you suggested before leaving home and then pick up a map at the port. I found an excellent tourist brochure of Coruna on the internet, but unfortunately, while the map in it is excellent, it isn't very clear so it's difficult to read street names. They'll probably have this brochure at the port. We have a Spanish Tourist Board in Toronto so I'm going to give them a visit sometime and see what brochures they have.

I'll print out the bus information in case we do decide to venture to Betanzos, although from the information you've given, I think we'll have a very enjoyable day just staying in Coruna and will save Betanzos for another trip. Thanks for your opinion of the Aquarium...we'll just keep this in mind in case it's a rainy day. I'm looking forward to taking the Monte de San Pedro Panoramic Lift....certainly a unique "elevator".

Lynn

Have you checked this website?. It´s the official site. I recommend a very nice bakery where you could get real Santiago Cake. In Riego de Agua, and it´s called Las Antillas.

Yummy indeed. Don´t worry about the maps. Once you get off the ship there´s a small stand where the Tourist Board provides you with everything. At Maria Pita Square there´s another office.

http://www.coruna.es/servlet/Satellite?c=Page&pagename=Turismo/Page/Turismo-Generica&cid=1196249574719&argIdioma=gl

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the website, Keltic. That's the one where I found the fuzzy map. I visited the Spanish Tourist Board a few days ago. They had some booklets on Cadiz and Melilla where we'll be stopping, but unfortunately, nothing on Coruna. Good to know there will be maps when we disembark. I'll take the name of the bakery you recommend....we never need an excuse to stop for a snack.

I just found out today that they'll be celebrating Merce on Sept 24th when we're in Barcelona. I have a feeling it's going to be as busy there as it would be if we went to Santiago de Compostela in the Holy Year....

Lynn

• 2 months later...
Sorry for the late replay. Yes....help, the Holy Year will be quite crowded, and our authorities are trying to takcle with this problem. Assuming your are coming in September the city will be packed. Coruña is a big industrial city, to miss most of it, but with some interesting and nice places.

Well, of course you could spend a nice day in La Coruña. I suggest the following plan: get a map at the port and walking to Maria Pita Square, getting a snack (tapas) at the Calle Franja (try at Bombilla for the best ones) and walk up Calle Real to Cantones. Go up again and turn to Plaza San Nicolas. Back to Maria Pita going up to Riego de Agua. Then head north to the old town, paying attention to two points: Santiago Church (actually the oldest) and Plaza Azcarraga and Convento Santa Barbara Square. Down to the port and walk along the coast to the right, towards the Castillo San Anton. Watch out at the old fortifications and city guns in your way

Close to the castle get the oldtimer tram which goes around the penninsula. Get off at Hercules Tower. Next to it it´s the Aquarium, but it´s not worth it. Not particularly big if one has seen a big american one. Get to the tram again to the San Pedro Cable car, to get to a nice park with stunning views. You could do the way back or get off at Riazor Beach to cross to the port.

Betanzos. Probably the nicest medieval village in the whole area. Get a taxi in La Marina (next to the white balconies at the port) and you have bus services every 30 minutes and takes about 40 minutes to get there. ARRIVA is the company which runs services to Betanzos.

http://en.arriva.es/

We will be in LaCoruna on Fri May 7. We thought we would take a tour to Santiago but was unaware that this is a Holy Year and it would be extra crowded. Have never been to this area. Have been told that Santiago is a "must see" but am now having second thoughts. Do you think we should still go to Santiago and if so can you recommend a tour guide with a van for 6-8 passengers. Or do you think we should just stay around LaCoruna, which seems to have many nice places.

This year is not being a good one as far as tourism is concerned. You see crisis. So, I do recommend a visit to Santiago. If you rent a private van, you could have quick views to La Coruña as you come to Santiago and back. I advise you contact either Viajes Atlántico, Viloria or http://www.santiagoreservas.com (it´s the City Tourist Board tour operator). Autos Vazquez is the biggest coach company over here.

But Santiago is worth seeing it.

http://www.autocaresvazquez.net/paginas/empresa.asp

http://www.viajesviloria.com/

http://www.viajesatlantico.com/

Websites should be also in English, but I am affraid my countryfellows are too lazy in Language learning.

http://www.santiagoturismo.com/index.asp

This year is not being a good one as far as tourism is concerned. You see crisis. So, I do recommend a visit to Santiago. If you rent a private van, you could have quick views to La Coruña as you come to Santiago and back. I advise you contact either Viajes Atlántico, Viloria or www.santiagoreservas.com (it´s the City Tourist Board tour operator). Autos Vazquez is the biggest coach company over here.

But Santiago is worth seeing it.

http://www.autocaresvazquez.net/paginas/empresa.asp

http://www.viajesviloria.com/

http://www.viajesatlantico.com/

Websites should be also in English, but I am affraid my countryfellows are too lazy in Language learning.

http://www.santiagoturismo.com/index.asp

Thank you for your assurances and we definitely plan to visit Santiago. We are not looking to rent a van to drive but to hire a taxi/van with English speaking driver/guide. Can you recommend a taxi company and do you have any idea of what the cost would be roundtrip La Coruna to Santiago? Thanks again for your help

• 2 weeks later...

There are not private taxi companies in Spain. Only private tours organized by travel agencies. I wouldn´t pay more than 200 euros for a roundtrip with a waiting in Santiago.

Archived