Night markets in taipei

Mimg Pao

Does anyone know if the night markets in Taipei are open during the day and if so, when do they open? Apparently, Shilin Night Market is one of the biggest with great street food. The only reference I can find to a day market is Dihua Street Market but this is primarily a sweet market.

Lynne

Does anyone know if the night markets in Taipei are open during the day and if so, when do they open? Apparently, Shilin Night Market is one of the biggest with great street food. The only reference I can find to a day market is Dihua Street Market but this is primarily a sweet market.

Lynne

Lynne what is your definiton of "day" We passed the markets during lunch and most of the "street" vendors were closed as were many of the store fronts. Strees were deserted, or lets say normal crowds. Come evening, especially friday packed wall to wall, watch your purse and valuables.

You really should try and get there at night for the experience and the variety of foods etc.

Lynne what is your definiton of "day" We passed the markets during lunch and most of the "street" vendors were closed as were many of the store fronts. Strees were deserted, or lets say normal crowds. Come evening, especially friday packed wall to wall, watch your purse and valuables.

You really should try and get there at night for the experience and the variety of foods etc.

Unfortunately, our ship, the Ocean Princess, is arriving in Keelung at 9 am and departing at 7 pm. We plan to take the train into Tapei roundtrip.

We were in Tapei for several days about 20 years ago and our most memorable experience was the infamous Snake Alley.

Chipmaster, do you know any markets that may be open during our limited time frame:confused: we have done all the usual sightseeing in Tapei and do not want to repeat or can you give some other suggestions. We have also visited the Marble gorge, aborignal village and Sun and Moon Lake.

Lynne

Unfortunately, our ship, the Ocean Princess, is arriving in Keelung at 9 am and departing at 7 pm. We plan to take the train into Tapei roundtrip.

We were in Tapei for several days about 20 years ago and our most memorable experience was the infamous Snake Alley.

Chipmaster, do you know any markets that may be open during our limited time frame:confused: we have done all the usual sightseeing in Tapei and do not want to repeat or can you give some other suggestions. We have also visited the Marble gorge, aborignal village and Sun and Moon Lake.

Lynne

That is the challenge of crusing, one day so much to see so little time.

The trip this last summer was my first trip to Taiwan since my birth. I did have a bit more time. If I was to only have a few hours in a day.

Taipei 101: As cheesy as it sounds if the weather is good the views and seing this marvel was worth the price. Nice big shopping mall there, but we didnt' shop

Hot Springs: I don't know the exact name of this area, but we visited on a rainy summer day. Many places you can get a hot spring soak or just visit the museum there.

Danshui: Its the end stop near the coast on the Taipei subway. We went there twice. Its like the night market at the day. Lots of vendors, food, games. On the weekend its crowded and fun, not sure about what it is like on the weekdays.

SnakeAlley and the Temple near it: I found it cheesy but worth a look. Was a bit dissapointed that there were really only two resturants seriously doing the "snake" thing. Crowded at night, very light before 6pm. Lots of good eats there. We went there twice just for the cheap eats.

I think that would be a full day, all very easy and short distance from the subway.

That is the challenge of crusing, one day so much to see so little time.

The trip this last summer was my first trip to Taiwan since my birth. I did have a bit more time. If I was to only have a few hours in a day.

Taipei 101: As cheesy as it sounds if the weather is good the views and seing this marvel was worth the price. Nice big shopping mall there, but we didnt' shop

Hot Springs: I don't know the exact name of this area, but we visited on a rainy summer day. Many places you can get a hot spring soak or just visit the museum there.

Danshui: Its the end stop near the coast on the Taipei subway. We went there twice. Its like the night market at the day. Lots of vendors, food, games. On the weekend its crowded and fun, not sure about what it is like on the weekdays.

SnakeAlley and the Temple near it: I found it cheesy but worth a look. Was a bit dissapointed that there were really only two resturants seriously doing the "snake" thing. Crowded at night, very light before 6pm. Lots of good eats there. We went there twice just for the cheap eats.

I think that would be a full day, all very easy and short distance from the subway.

Thanks Chipmaster, really appreciate your reply.

However, dh and I have decided to sightsee in the Keelung area instead. Dh speaks Mandarin so it will be a bit easier.

We are going to cherrypick from the following:

Bisha Fishing Port

Dihua Old Street

Keelung Miaokou

Dianji Temple

Yi 2nd Road Shopping Area

Keelung Museum of History and/or YM Culture and Art Museum

Have you been to any of the above? I contacted Havefun Travel in Taipei for a quote on Keelung attractions and they quoted a bus from Keelung Harbouir to Taipei for a city tour - certainly not what I asked for and I requested a requote. Do you know any good travel agents in Taiwan?

Lynne

Thanks Chipmaster, really appreciate your reply.

However, dh and I have decided to sightsee in the Keelung area instead. Dh speaks Mandarin so it will be a bit easier.

We are going to cherrypick from the following:

Bisha Fishing Port

Dihua Old Street

Keelung Miaokou

Dianji Temple

Yi 2nd Road Shopping Area

Keelung Museum of History and/or YM Culture and Art Museum

Have you been to any of the above? I contacted Havefun Travel in Taipei for a quote on Keelung attractions and they quoted a bus from Keelung Harbouir to Taipei for a city tour - certainly not what I asked for and I requested a requote. Do you know any good travel agents in Taiwan?

Lynne

Lynne good luck, on our tour last year we didn't swing by this area. I'll ask my wife if she has any thoughts.

Archived