Question about mattresses in cabins..

cricri7

Hi....my question may sound funny to some but my friend and I are going on a cruise at the end of February and I have a question about the mattresses in the cabins. We are 2 women in our early forties and are booking 2 different cabins. I will probably book a 1A cabin on the Valor even though they seem small.

My friend has a problem...she has a very bad back and sleeps mostly on a mattress on the floor because she feels it is best for her since the floor is harder and it helps her. She was wondering if the mattress in a 1A cabin, the bunk beds or 2 twin beds, is fixed. She would every night put it on the floor and put it back in the morning to make it easier for the attendant to clean the room. Does anyone know the answer to that bizarre question?

Thanks in advance for her!

PS For those who have traveled on the Valor, do you think that we will feel out of place with all the families or are there other single travelers like us in our forties?

In response to Dixiebelle.....It is not mean at all for you to ask the question....I will be doing the heavy lifting...haha....I can understand that she wants to travel, even though she has physical limitations, and a cruise is good for someone with those. A cruise is less taxing for someone with physical limitations because of the activities already in one place. My back does not have any problems and a single bed mattress isn't that heavy.

I sure am anxious to cruise again! I cruised for the first time in April of this year and got bitten hard by the cruise bug:-)

Thanks to all of you!

Tell your friend that there will be no need to put the mattress on the floor. IIRC, there are no box springs under the mattress. The bed frame has a solid platform (for lack of the correct word) that the mattress rests directly on. Its the same as putting the mattress on the floor. I too have a bad back and loved sleeping on the ships beds. Best nights sleep I've had in ages.

Even though this will sound a bit tongue-in-cheek, it's not mean to be. I'm quite serious... Would it not stand to reason that her back might not give her so many problems if she wasn't hefting mattresses about each night and morning:confused:?

I was thinking the same thing out of concern for her...that the lifting of the mattress twice a day would do more harm than good...

I am not sure about any of this....but it never hurts to ask!

First, the mattresses on Carnival ships are the most comfortable of all the cruise lines we have cruised with.

Second, her 'bad' back is obviously a health issue and certainly she can't be the only person with a 'bad' back Carnival has ever seen....sooo....the Medical Dept may just have plywood inserts that fit under the mattresses to stiffen them up a bit. (I know other lines have egg-crate tops to soften their mattresses.)

Third, Room Stewards are paid to care for our rooms and that I would assume includes moving the mattress from the bed to the floor, and back again, if that is what the passenger requires in order to have a comfortable cruise. I am sure if she asks the Room Steward will be more than pleased to help.

Enjoy your cruise!

Hopefully her back will be ok on the mattresses. I think they are hard as a rock and nowhere near as comfy to me as most people. I usually wake up in worse pain because they are too firm. :( I seem to be in the minority, though.

My only concern with putting the mattress on the floor would be a sanitation thing. Floors tend to end up with all sorts of nasty bacteria that comes from shoes that have been outside and tracked through various stuff. Putting a mattress on it and then back up on the bed could spread that bacteria.

I still remember in college biology class culturing the bottoms of our shoes and the floor - you would be disgusted at what was living there! :eek:

Archived