Coeliac/celiac on cruise! P&O Ventura 12.02.10

purplecatherine

Hi there.

I'm a coeliac and therefore have to eat food that doesn't contain or been contaminated with gluten, wheat or barley.

My travel agent has informed the cruise line and all should be OK but I was wondering if anyone had any experience of cruising with coeliac disease? I would really appreciate any tips anyone might have.

Also, I'm a little concerned about eating off-ship whilst in port. I know I can always go back to the ship for lunch, but that might always be convenient when going on an excursion etc. I fully expect that English will be well spoken in-port, but to the degree of 'gluten free'????

Any info greatly received.

Cheers.

PC:o

There is a lady called 'Pauline' who has posted the same question on the P&Ocruises.co.uk website 'cruise community' yesterday or this morning and has had lots of helpful replies. The thread is 'coelliac and P&O' in the cruise specific section. If its not you , you may want to go over and have a look at the replies, very useful thread.

Hello - I rerurned from the Artemis yesterday and recieved first class service for the same dietary needs as yourself. I had registered with P&O and spoke to the head waiter on the first evening. I was allowed a very restrictive meal that night but from then on I was given the next days menu at dinner to chose, the head waiter took my order and everything ran smoothly from there. I was told if they could not adapt anything and always had a gluten free hot roll and it was fantasic having all the wonderful meals and knowing I could eat it without being ill. The waiters did all they could too by remembering what I had ordered! A couple of nights they even made me a gluten free chocolate pudding and a souflette which were amazing plus fantastic panna cottas. Greta to have puddings although I did put on some weight. I had all these in the main dining room with waiter service and I sugest this is where you start. At brekfast I always asked for gluten free toast with my bacon and eggs etc and was never let down.

As the posting says above there was even gluten free chocholic cakes - fantastic. When I used the buffet I just used common sense and had salad with fish and or meats and maybe a jacket potato but I'm sure if you asked they would find you something else.

I also see you asked about wine. We were allowed to take this on board the Artemis with no problems but the wines on board were very reasonably priced with deals of the day.

Hope you enjoy the Ventura as much as I've enjoyed Artemis. One of the biggest thrills was to be able to eat exceptional food and be looked after to ensure all was well and not worry about eating the wrong things.

Sorry forgot to mention - if you book a trip with P&O make sure as you book you inform them about your needs. They even fix it up for you. If you are going out indepenently as we did most times we were so full from breakfast that we had a late lunch or on one occasion I stuck to a simple salad. Just as you do at home.

Hope that helps

Archived