Tea on the Princess

gehrandt

Is the tea service on the Princess cruises high tea? We are sailing on the Caribbean Princess next Oct. Love the old English Tea - finger sandwiches, small pastries, etc. Any info appreciated - would hate to get my hopes up and find out it is only a spot of tea. Also understand it can be served in our suite?

Is the tea service on the Princess cruises high tea? We are sailing on the Caribbean Princess next Oct. Love the old English Tea - finger sandwiches, small pastries, etc. Any info appreciated - would hate to get my hopes up and find out it is only a spot of tea. Also understand it can be served in our suite?

Yes and it is usually held in one of the dining rooms from 3p-4p.

Scones and Clotted cream too!!

Reminds me of my youth in the UK.:)

Delicious finger sandwiches with a selection of different fillings which change each day. I remember the crab filled one Yummy.The little warm scones that you can fill with cream and jam...those were very popular.Plus a great cup of tea poured for you by the waiter.

I don't go very often because I have early dinner but it is great for those that dine later.

Reminds me of my youth in the UK.:)

Delicious finger sandwiches with a selection of different fillings which change each day. I remember the crab filled one Yummy.The little warm scones that you can fill with cream and jam...those were very popular.Plus a great cup of tea poured for you by the waiter.

I don't go very often because I have early dinner but it is great for those that dine later.

Slightly off thread, just returned from tea with my nana she’s 97 and loves having her family for Sunday tea, although she’s in a home now. We do try to go if possible 5 generations of us.. I didn’t want to go today as the weather is so nasty, glad I did, we had scones, sandwiches and trifle. Perfect. :)

Slightly off thread, just returned from tea with my nana she’s 97 and loves having her family for Sunday tea, although she’s in a home now. We do try to go if possible 5 generations of us.. I didn’t want to go today as the weather is so nasty, glad I did, we had scones, sandwiches and trifle. Perfect. :)

This is off subject but if I ever ask 'What shall I bring'? They always say Bring one of your English Sherry Trifles Heather.

The Princess teas also have pastries .It is the traditional English meal on the ship.:)

High tea was actually also called "meat tea" and is a meal replacement similar to "supper". It was eaten for instance, on farms, at a high table. It's usually served between 5 and 6. Billet correctly referred to what is served on cruise ships, as Afternoon Tea, which is often small finger sandwiches, scones, a sweet, and tea (of course). For some reason this keeps getting referred to as "high tea." "High" seems to incorrectly equate to "fancy" in this context, where it's kind of the opposite.

I worked w/ a friend who catered teas and this always has to be verified when people called with requests for "high tea" service. They ALMOST always wanted an afternoon tea.

Of course then there is the "cream tea" which is mostly just scones, clotted cream, jam and tea.

Ok that's more than anyone wanted to know about tea and I'll "shut up" now. ;-)

Archived