First time with the kids. Thoughts? Tips?

Justcrusin

We have sailed Carnival several other times before, but this is the first time we will be bringing the kids (2 1/2 and 4 1/2). We are headed on the Sensation 4 day from Port Canaveral.

Any tips / thoughts / suggestions. I have heard the Camp Carnival program is great. Anyone leave their kids for dinner?

Thanks for the help!

We have been sailing with our kids for 7 years now so we have our routine set. On the first day of the cruise you wil get a schedule of daily activities for the kids so you can plan around the activities they really want to do. Some days the kids eat dinner with us and some days they eat dinner with their friends at Camp Carnival. They can eat dinner at camp every day but it's closed from around 12 till 1:30or 2:00 every day for lunch. We make sure our kids eat dinner with us on formal nights so we can take family pictures, for us that's a tradition. We have an 8x10 portrait in this double frame that has us on one side and our ship on the other side from every cruise we've been on. They usually have build a bear workshop during the lunch our during the middle of the cruise and parents have to be present. Since we have four in our cabin I always bring an over the door plastic shoe thing from the dollar store. All those little pockets are great for little ones shoes, sunscreen, little toys, hairbrushes, medicine, etc. It really helps keep the room from being too cluttered and we don't end up late for some event because the little one can't find her sandals. I also pack a pop up hamper that folds flat for your suitcase. It keeps all of the clothes from cluttering up the room.

Our kids have sailed with us on 7 cruises now. They are now 10 & 12 so they

know the routine.

There is lots for the kids to do on the ship. You can get a schedule on the kids

activity for each of the age groups. They can plan on what they would like

to do. The camp is closed from 12 - 2pm for lunch.

We eat together as a family in the MDR vs letting them eat in camp. We are

on a family vacation and like to spend times with our kids. But some do leave

the kids in camp during dinner.

The camp closes at 10PM. You can pay normally babysitting fees for them

to be there until 2AM, I think. They have special activities during this time

for them.

If one parent checks and signs them in the SAME parent must sign them out.

They are very strict on this policy for security reason.

They will allow you to check the kids in camp when you go to port.

I've taken my 5 year old daughter on cruises many times now. As the previous posters have mentioned, they have Camp carnival onboard which is an excellent program!! I was at first hesitant to leave my daughter there but she loved it and interacting with the others kids. Check your Capers when you first get onboard to see when the camp informational meeting is, it's usually the first night before dinners start. They have such great activities there and I'm sure your little ones will love it, the workers there take such great care of the kids. After 10pm they do offer babysitting till 3 I believe and its $3ish an hour after 10. Some night I took my daughter to dinners, some nights she went with Camp Carnival, I just let her pick and choose. They have activities at Camp where the parents participate to, that gave me a great piece of mind. The security there is top notch so you don't have to worry about someone else taking your kids or them just walking out.

Make sure you bring a night light for the room at night. I forgot ONE time and it did not go over well. Also, unless you have a tub in your room (which most don't) be prepared to have to shower your kids. If you want, you can always bring one of those inflatable tubs/pools and use that in the bathroom, that worked better when my daughter was under 4. If your kids sleep with a special stuffed animal at night, make sure you tote that along as well :)

We have sailed Carnival several other times before, but this is the first time we will be bringing the kids (2 1/2 and 4 1/2). We are headed on the Sensation 4 day from Port Canaveral.

Any tips / thoughts / suggestions. I have heard the Camp Carnival program is great. Anyone leave their kids for dinner?

Thanks for the help!

This same cruise was our first one... my daughter turned 5 the first night, and they were great.

pack your patience... sometimes she wanted camp carnival, others she didnt.

babysitting is $6/hr from 10p-3a and its done in camp carnival, not your room. also, spring for the suite... my daughter hates showers, and i was beyond grateful to have the tub to drop her in, she never would have stepped foot into the showers (frankly, im not sure i would have wanted to either though, they remind me of locker room showers). our next cruise is in a few weeks, and i had booked a reg. ext. balcony and waited til prices dropped and upgrade to a suite with a tub. only the cat. 12's on the sensation have tubs, if you can afford it, i would do it. plus the extra room is GREAT.

Archived