Question about teen program!

lakelodge

We are sailing on the Liberty May 23-29 2010. Our son who will be 14 1/2 at the time, will probably think the 12-14 year old program is too young for him. The majority of his friends are 15 & 16 now, he is prety mature for his age. Question is: how strict are they about seperating the 12-14 set from the 15-17 year olds?

Regardless, I think he'll have lots of fun, but I don't see him handing out with a bunch of twelve year olds!

Thanks, Martha

We just got off Enchantment. My kids are 12 and 13 and they tell me that all the kids from 12 to 17 were together. That might be because there were not a lot of kids on the ship, but the activities were combined, and what they did seemed to appeal to a wide age range. They had a great time.

I think it depends on the sailing, and how many kids there are on the sailing. Many of the activities for the teens are the same in both groups, just done at separate times. And they sometimes combine the activities. I believe some of the activities also might be a contest between the 2 age groups (like guitar hero contests or something)

yes it does depend on the sailing. The liberty being a high kid ship will probably keep the age groups seperate. RCCL will never let younger kids particpate witholder kids.. maturity wise they don't fit in to most belief. They do make rare and few exceptions allowing older to go to younger if there is a sibling or a friend there

We sailed on Explorer of the Seas with our 12 yr old son and 15 year old daughter... we also thought the kids would be seperated however once onboard, the activities for both age groups were all scheduled seperately but they did them all together for a funfilled cruise.

The activities were based on what the kids wanted to do... combined there were about 30 kids who mostly all got along great!

Some of the favorite activities they did were: babe hunt/dude crusade, scavenger hunt thru the ship, dodgeball, basketball, volleyball, talent show, mini-golf, hide n seek, wii tournaments, learn how to be a DJ, teen dinners in the windjammer, prom night....

the list could go on and on ;) Needless to say, we didn't see our kids much on this particular cruise :o but they had the time of their life, i'm sure if your son gets involved, he will too!!!

• 2 weeks later...

My son has been on 9 cruises starting at 8 to 18 years old. At 14 he found friends his own age and older. Younger kids did not interest him. Give your 14 year old some freedom and let him have son fun on his own. Have him check with you so often but do not become a helicopter mom or dad.

12-17 are mostly together. They aren't strict at all. If you want to go to another age group's activity, you can do it (unless you clearly don't belong there).

The only issue might be a cut off at the teen night club. My last Royal Carib cruise (in 2005) the cut off was 15 but if you were younger you could get parental permission to enter. They were pretty strict about this but everything else its kind of show up when you feel like.

Archived