brand new to cruises- alaska destination

ladyscot1

Hi my husband and I are taking our first ever cruise and going to Alaska. Princess looks good, looked at Holland America big difference in prices. Have thought about the Phrudoe Bay or Copper River trips. Am so confused, however cant do everything at once. Any suggestions on Cruise Ship and cruisetour. thanks

there are so many choices for cruising to Alaska.I would make a list of what is most important to you ,how much time you can spend ,what is you budget ,Since this is your first time you really don't have any favorites your choices are wide open. Keep reading and researching and I am sure you will come up with a fabulous cruise

I suggest you find out more about Alaska, before you start jumping into cruisetour choices. Look over what is available AT these destinations. In my opinion the "Copper River" area is far superior going independent with the ability to have at least an overnight in Valdez and getting out to McCarthy/Kennicott, for at least a full day. Prudhoe Bay, is a very different type of area of travel, you may want to do a board search on the details. Again, particularily one independent vendor does also offer these tours, which would be more personal.

Both HAL and Princess do offer excellent itineraries. I give the edge to HAL overall. And especially with their Seward port, can be an excellent option for touring. Many great choices to consider.

With cruisetours, you need to look far past the descriptions and factor in all the transit time, which is significant in Alaska. Overall, go for as long as you can afford. Denali Park is best with 2 nights. Unless noted, meals are not included. Budget 50% more than you do at home.

Head to your library and take out Fodor's Alaska and Frommer's Alasks, Alaska By Cruiseship. Very concise reading that will give you more information. Make lists, then narrow down your priorities. Then you should have your ship and cruisetouring an easier selection.

Archived