Radiance SB - forward cabin port side or mid-ship cabin starboard side on hump?

Cruzden

Our family is planning our first Alaska cruise. We are looking at the southbound cruise from Seward to Vancouver on the Radiance. Dates are flexible, so we have a choice of a forward cabin port side (which I've read might be better for viewing when traveling southbound) or a hump cabin midship on the starboard side. I've heard the forward cabin is under the solarium and it could be noisy.... Any opinions?

Thanks!!

We did the southbound in August and had a port side hump cabin it was an awesome cabin. The hump cabins are definately a little bigger and are nicer when it gets too cold outside you can just pop inside for a couple of minutes to get warmed up.

Hi TYTY - thanks for your reply and glad you enjoyed your August cruise. I assume it was on the Radiance? Would love to hear more.

What I am really after with my question is to know which is a better choice:

1) Port side, forward (under solarium, noisy?), not a hump but perhaps better views going southbound, or

2) Starboard side, midship, on the hump (quieter) but not having the port side views.

Either choice would be a Grand Suite. Any recommendations on which GS might be a better experience?

Thanks!!

Not sure what to tell you, everybody says port side views are better southbound and we did have beautiful views. I don't know what the starboard views were like. I prefer not to have anything above or below me other than cabins. I was under a restaurant once and the noise from above was horrible.

We sailed on the ROS May 22, 2009 Northbound and had GS # 1050 port. Our cabin balcony ceiling was lower than most others and that made it seem warmer and less drafty All GS location's are great and don't worry you won't have any noise from the floor above you at all ( one of the quietest cruises I've ever been on very Majestic everyone was speechless it seemed )..Many said we were on the wrong side for Northbound ...However we felt we missed NOTHING at all...had great views from port side and Cpt.Selvag turned the ship when we were at Hubbard Glacier so both sides got very upclose views (or go up on deck) since you will be crusing the inland there is land on both sides (WOW)...We were also very "lucky" that due to the docking ( which is determined a year in advance, not on a first come first serve situation) our port side had the best views when we were in Ketchikan & Juneau of the port city ,while the starboard side didn't ..Remember it is Alaska and what ever side you coose your views will be AWESOME...Also consider using the cruiseline offered transfers...we used bus from YVR to port and train from Seward port to Anc. airport (the train was one of the best parts of our cruise)....Yes, I know you are doing southbound but you will have this option too...Enjoy Alaska....

Archived