Inflatable Pool on Princess Sapphire?

glk2009

We are going on our first cruise ever next month with all of my husband's family. It's a week-long cruise with our 2 year old who loves to swim, but is not potty-trained. I had read on some other posts about bringing your own inflatable pool??? I'm sorry to ask, but how does that work exactly? With filling it up and emptying it? Thanks for the help!!! :o

Most folks will take a small bucket to put some water in it----don't expect to "fill" it! Then, there should be a drain near the pool....you can pour it out into the drain--NOT into the pool!!!!!

Other folks say they use them on their balconies, but I have NO idea how you'd empty something like that---getting it through the cabin (and carpet) without spilling!

The Sapphire has one or two showers near the pool. Bring a pail (that you can also play with on the beach on your port days) to put a couple pail-fuls of water in the pool, and then you can empty it into the shower drain. You can either put the small pool between two lounge chairs, or, on the Sapphire, there is a bit of extra room at the end of a couple of the rows of lounge chairs where it wouldn't be in the way.

My twins loved the Sapphire at 2 years old. Even though they can't be left in the kids club, they can join in the arts & crafts, watch the movies, play in the play area as long as you are there. Have a great time!

Best,

Mia

We got the Ducky pool/tub from Target. Filled and emptied in the shower. I haven't taken her by the pool deck with it. Although I have seen other parents do it. Be careful if you do. Some of the anti-child hate patrol may plant explosives in it! :D

We got the Ducky pool/tub from Target. Filled and emptied in the shower. I haven't taken her by the pool deck with it. Although I have seen other parents do it. Be careful if you do. Some of the anti-child hate patrol may plant explosives in it! :D

I don't think it's so much the "anti-child hate patrol" thing, but more of an issue with emptying the pool in the drains of the fresh-water showers by the public area pools, as many might see this as a hygiene problem, since so many people use them. This could actually include parents with kids. I recently heard about the Ducky pool/tub, and this would probably be the way to go. So many cabins are shower-only, and not all babies/toddler/kids are used to anything but a bathtub, so the Ducky pool/tub seems like it would be great not only for bathing, but just for splashing around. Even though the showers are usually tiny!

What's interesting is that more and more lines are advertising "family cruising", while making few accommodations for infants and toddlers. No drop-down changing tables, no sales of diapers, bottles, baby food, no admittance into any onboard pool, etc. Cruise lines are filled with older ships that cannot accommodate some of these things (since they were built years before), but they're still out to make money, so they still advertise.

In a way, I'm very fortunate that we could not take our kids on cruises when they were little, because the prices were so high! Kids' programs? Not then. (Also fortunate to have missed the "pleasure" of dealing with computers, cell phones, IPods, etc.)

Just my thoughts.

I don't think it's so much the "anti-child hate patrol" thing, but more of an issue with emptying the pool in the drains of the fresh-water showers by the public area pools, as many might see this as a hygiene problem, since so many people use them. This could actually include parents with kids. I recently heard about the Ducky pool/tub, and this would probably be the way to go. So many cabins are shower-only, and not all babies/toddler/kids are used to anything but a bathtub, so the Ducky pool/tub seems like it would be great not only for bathing, but just for splashing around. Even though the showers are usually tiny!

What's interesting is that more and more lines are advertising "family cruising", while making few accommodations for infants and toddlers. No drop-down changing tables, no sales of diapers, bottles, baby food, no admittance into any onboard pool, etc. Cruise lines are filled with older ships that cannot accommodate some of these things (since they were built years before), but they're still out to make money, so they still advertise.

In a way, I'm very fortunate that we could not take our kids on cruises when they were little, because the prices were so high! Kids' programs? Not then. (Also fortunate to have missed the "pleasure" of dealing with computers, cell phones, IPods, etc.)

Just my thoughts.

To the OP - you can ask a crew member for a janitor's sink if the shower is an issue.

to Imsulin - actually, ships are making MORE advances toward family cruising than ever before. But since you don't have young children now, you might not be aware of them.

Royal Caribbean has 5 ships with Baby Splash Zones. Also, Royal Caribbean has a way to pre-order diapers. Not to mention programs for infants/toddlers with their parents.

Princess allows parents to pre-order baby food.

And many are adding the drop down baby changing stations to their bathrooms. You would be surprised. They are popping up everywhere now.

Some cruise lines are slower to change than others. I suspect we won't see HAL making accomodations anytime soon.

To the OP - you can ask a crew member for a janitor's sink if the shower is an issue.

to Imsulin - actually, ships are making MORE advances toward family cruising than ever before. But since you don't have young children now, you might not be aware of them.

Royal Caribbean has 5 ships with Baby Splash Zones. Also, Royal Caribbean has a way to pre-order diapers. Not to mention programs for infants/toddlers with their parents.

Princess allows parents to pre-order baby food.

And many are adding the drop down baby changing stations to their bathrooms. You would be surprised. They are popping up everywhere now.

Some cruise lines are slower to change than others. I suspect we won't see HAL making accomodations anytime soon.

But - some cruise lines have been advertising "family cruising" for years - and are just now starting to make accommodations???

Which five RCI ships have Baby Splash Zones? Where are they? Are non-toilet trained babies with swimmies allowed in them? When was this announced? Infant/toddler programs with parents have already been around for awhile. Why should anyone have to pre-order diapers or baby food? If a cruise line advocates "family friendly" cruising, why aren't these items automatically sold onboard? "Many" cruise lines are adding drop-down changing stations? Which of the "many" cruise lines are doing this? I've been in MANY public restrooms on MANY ships, and just don't know where they could be added - space-wise. They are popping up everywhere now? Exactly where? Please, be specific.

Where did you get your information?? What cruise lines, besides HAL, are slower to change?

Awaiting your answers. Thanks.

But - some cruise lines have been advertising "family cruising" for years - and are just now starting to make accommodations???

Which five RCI ships have Baby Splash Zones? Where are they? Are non-toilet trained babies with swimmies allowed in them? When was this announced? Infant/toddler programs with parents have already been around for awhile. Why should anyone have to pre-order diapers or baby food? If a cruise line advocates "family friendly" cruising, why aren't these items automatically sold onboard? "Many" cruise lines are adding drop-down changing stations? Which of the "many" cruise lines are doing this? I've been in MANY public restrooms on MANY ships, and just don't know where they could be added - space-wise. They are popping up everywhere now? Exactly where? Please, be specific.

Where did you get your information?? What cruise lines, besides HAL, are slower to change?

Awaiting your answers. Thanks.

Sorry, but I guess my question is where have YOU been?

The 5 RCCL ships that have Baby Splash Zones are Freedom of the Seas, Independence of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas, Oasis of the Seas and coming up next Allure of the Seas. Enchantment of the Seas would have been the 6th, but they added it, then reclassified it.

YES, it is for NON-POTTY trained infants/toddlers. Swim diapers are WELCOMED. As a matter of fact, kids that are potty trained aren't allowed in this area at all, the pool deck crew does monitor that and ask the older children to leave the Baby Zone.

When was it announced....when Freedom was built, what, 2006?

Here is what they look like and you can see the sign with the rules on it....

124.jpg

125.jpg

The Disney Magic and Disney Wonder also have a Baby Water play area specifically for babies in diapers. As I am sure that Disney Dream will as well.

124.jpg

122.jpg

The diaper program. I can imagine that it would be tough to carry all of the different sizes needed for the ship gift shops, so the diaper program is a pretty easy way to have them delivered straight to the cabin. And you don't HAVE to preorder baby food. I've made it onboard myself using the freshly steamed veggies/soft fruits onboard. So I never NEEDED to pack baby food or pre-order it. But it is available.

The changing stations - you could do a quick search on this board and see where the latest ones are. We just had this discussion recently. Once again, the RCCL Freedom class ships (and of course Disney) have changing stations in the bathrooms. They are the kind that fold down from the door. You can actually see them mentioned on the sign post in the RCCL picture above.

Where do I get my information? I guess it's a little obsession of mine. Keeping track of cruising with kids info. So I pay attention to the latest announcements when it concerns kids. When a cruise line makes an announcement, I ad it to my blog.

And obviously I am going on my OPINION only on which mainstream cruise lines are slower to change. I can certainly make an educated guess though. Cunard has nannies, but they are slow to offer anything else. NCL and Carnival have huge splash zones, but they are slow to take the expensive step that RCCL/Disney have and add the Baby zones for kids in diapers. So although CCL and NCL have the camp age at 2 and they accept non-potty trained tots into their kids programs (CCL even changes diapers), they don't have water area for those same kids.

Princess has ignored the kids, except for the 3 and older - potty trained in their kids club. Other than that (and some pre-ordered baby food), there aren't alot of baby/toddler friendly venues on Princess.

HAL and Celebrity - forget it. I don't expect there to be changes there at all. They get the older clients and everyone is fine with that.

Um. Thanks. I think. Freedom 2006? For three years, the question of babies in swimmies on RCI has been posted and popcorned. Disney is pretty much a given. Drop-down changing tables added to what ships? Was on Jewel in 2006, and only had to tolerate Chair Hogs for eight days. I posted a thread on "inflatable pools" a week ago on RCI, and basically got a "Duck swim/tub" answer. Nothing about FOS. Two out of your five ships haven't even begun cruising. Again - what older ships will be adding drop-down changing tables? We really enjoyed our Jewel cruise in 2006 (not so much the Viking Serenade in 1995. Worst cruise ever!). Pre-ordering overpriced diapers and baby food is just another money-maker. Multi-line and multi-time cruiser, and still confused. Will stick with my tried and true - not RCI at this point. Sorry. Loved the Jewel, though. HAL for me. Thanks for your post, though.

Um. Thanks. I think. Freedom 2006? For three years, the question of babies in swimmies on RCI has been posted and popcorned. Disney is pretty much a given. Drop-down changing tables added to what ships? Was on Jewel in 2006, and only had to tolerate Chair Hogs for eight days. I posted a thread on "inflatable pools" a week ago on RCI, and basically got a "Duck swim/tub" answer. Nothing about FOS.

So what you are saying is because YOU didn't know about it, then it can't possibly be true. Okkkkk. Like I said before. I have been an active member of this board for years. I have personally been talking about the Baby Zone for at least the past 2.

You must have missed the RCCL web site too because it says...

On the Oasis of the Seas, Allure of the Seas and Freedom Class ships children in diapers, or who are not toilet trained may use the Baby Splash Zone specially designated for them.

Just a few months ago the RCCL web site listed just the Freedom Class as having the baby zone, but it was listed.

I try to stop in on the RCCL board and correct any misconceptions about the family ammenities on the ships. But I have 3 jobs, don't get enough time to police the boards.

Here are some posts mentioning the Baby Zone...

post #5

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1071892

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1094388

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1037101

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1065296

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1018484

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1006111

And in 2007, when we started to notice the signs directing parents with the diapered babies on Freedom...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=600589&highlight=splash

Can I ask an obvious question? You have been very vocal against bringing babies on ships. You have grandchildren so we aren't discussing your own children. So why the interest?

The "changes" you speak of are relatively new, and two of the ships are too new even for reviews. You work three jobs, yet have plenty of time to post and criticize. Been cruising since the late 70's, and have seen the good, the bad, and the ugly...adults AND kids/babies. You've only been on cruises for the last few years, and not nearly as many as I've done. Actually, I'm glad to see that at least ONE cruise line is FINALLY backing up their years-long advertising of "family cruising" with features and accommodations that have been needed for a long time! Disney has always done it. Obnoxious adults and kids are the norm these days - they're always there. Fortunately, they are the minority. Not anti-kid at all! Had five of them. The anger is more among parents who insist upon plopping Baby Junior into any pool and then become terribly offended when they get dirty looks or are asked to remove their child. I've seen it many times. I've personally witnessed blow-up pools being emptied into the main pool. It's nice that you are promoting this, but you need to realize these new RCI policies are only a few months old, and only available on FIVE ships (TWO of which haven't even done regular cruises yet!). RCI, apparently, thought that rock-climbing walls, ice skating rinks, and waverunners were FAR more important than drop-down changing tables, true baby pools, and pre-ordering diapers and baby food. So - blame RCI for waiting so long. Not me. Apparently, RCI's new megas have no Internet Cafe, so in addition to the Pack & Play (if you bring your own clean one), stroller, whatever, parents can now tug along their computer....if they want to stay in touch. Right? Again, I'm not anti-kid. Just experienced and realistic.

It's nice that you are promoting this, but you need to realize these new RCI policies are only a few months old, and only available on FIVE ships (TWO of which haven't even done regular cruises yet!).

A few months? I gave you a link back to 2007! Your concept of time is a little off.

And I am not criticizing anyone. But you seem to do ALOT of that on these boards. Maybe you are a little bored at home?

And once again, on yet another thread I feel like I need to apologize to the OP. Another topic gone horribly askew. So I apologize.

A few months? I gave you a link back to 2007! Your concept of time is a little off.

And I am not criticizing anyone. But you seem to do ALOT of that on these boards. Maybe you are a little bored at home?

And once again, on yet another thread I feel like I need to apologize to the OP. Another topic gone horribly askew. So I apologize.

Love how you always leave the real "meat" of my posts out, and only include what might make you look good. Was that you in the red top and black shorts in that Carnival pool with the kid in blue wearing diapers and your kids in that pool as well? BTW, there's no such word as "alot". I accept your apology.

Love how you always leave the real "meat" of my posts out, and only include what might make you look good. Was that you in the red top and black shorts in that Carnival pool with the kid in blue wearing diapers and your kids in that pool as well? BTW, there's no such word as "alot". I accept your apology.

Um, nope, there goes that reading thing again that you seem to have an issue with. I replied to you hours ago. Let's make this easy, click here....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=22116798&postcount=20

That woman isn't me. And I accept your policy. Try keeping the replies to me in the threads they are suppose to be in instead of going off topic in every thread.

In all of these years I haven't added someone to my ignore list. I think this is the first time I am seriously considering it. :rolleyes:

Um, nope, there goes that reading thing again that you seem to have an issue with. I replied to you hours ago. Let's make this easy, click here....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=22116798&postcount=20

That woman isn't me. And I accept your policy. Try keeping the replies to me in the threads they are suppose to be in instead of going off topic in every thread.

In all of these years I haven't added someone to my ignore list. I think this is the first time I am seriously considering it. :rolleyes:

Pretty much think that woman is you, because you said so, in reference to the kid in blue wearing a diaper. Thanks for accepting my "policy". It means "alot" to me!

"Policy"? Love it!

Pretty much think that woman is you, because you said so, in reference to the kid in blue wearing a diaper. Thanks for accepting my "policy". It means "alot" to me!

"Policy"? Love it!

You forgot "nyah nyah." I'm sorry, but this forum is about cruising with children, not for children who have taken over their grandparent's cruise critic account. Honestly.

Michelle - I thank you for all the information and advice you always share with all of us. I apologize for what clearly is either a child playing on the computer or someone who is very sad and bored and looking to argue with our kindest and most giving cruising-with-family contributor. I think "ignore" is the correct policy with this one.

Best to everyone (who is actually old enough to post on this otherwise happy and friendly board).

- Mia

You forgot "nyah nyah." I'm sorry' date=' but this forum is about cruising with children, not for children who have taken over their grandparent's cruise critic account. Honestly.

Michelle - I thank you for all the information and advice you always share with all of us. I apologize for what clearly is either a child playing on the computer or someone who is very sad and bored and looking to argue with our kindest and most giving cruising-with-family contributor. I think "ignore" is the correct policy with this one.

Best to everyone (who is actually old enough to post on this otherwise happy and friendly board).

- Mia[/quote']

I AM the grandparent. Don't do "nyah nyah". Just post what was said. Michelle has chosen to accept my "policy", while refusing to acknowledge many aspects of my posts. This tells me "alot", and I now have a pretty clear picture of Michelle, due to her pictures and posts. Yep.

We are going on our first cruise ever next month with all of my husband's family. It's a week-long cruise with our 2 year old who loves to swim, but is not potty-trained. :o

Just wanted to also let you know, having been on the Sapphire three times with non-potty trained twins, that we always found plenty to do away from the pool as well. We ended up just using the duck tub for baths. They were so excited to go play in the "play area" that we usually ended up in front of the door waiting for it to open (it's closed during meal times). The crew in every department on the Sapphire is fantastic with kids. We went swimming in a couple of the ports and that worked out great. Let me know if you have any other questions.

All the best,

Mia

"Policy"? Love it!

That woman IS NOT ME! I am the one who TOOK the picture. There were other CCers on that ship who were standing behind me when this picture was taken. I will have them stop by just to confirm.

What is your problem?

I am tan. I am dark. That woman in this picture is with a BOY. DO you see a BOY in my signature?

You have some serious issues.

043.jpg

the lady in the picture is NOT cruisinmama! I was standing right behind her when she took the picture!!!! the lady in black first row second one in is cruisinmama. and if you comapre the 2 pictures you can see a difference in the 2. then look at her default pic and see for yourself. and if you have read her reviews or her replys you will see for yourself that she does NOT have a son.

DSCN0348.jpg.baffccd6f5934741eed219ec51557da5.jpg

Archived