Cab from Bus Terminal

jeppler

We are taking a Peter Pan bus from CT and will be dropped off at the Port Authority Bus Terminal on 8th Avenue. Is it easy to get a cab from there to the NCL terminal? It looks like no more than a 1.5 mile. Approximately how much will that cost ?

On debarkation day, how easy will it be to get a cab to get us back to the bus terminal? Will the fact that we're in a concierge room help with that, i.e. can they get a cab faster and help us bypass some of the crowds? Thanks....

We are taking a Peter Pan bus from CT and will be dropped off at the Port Authority Bus Terminal on 8th Avenue. Is it easy to get a cab from there to the NCL terminal? It looks like no more than a 1.5 mile. Approximately how much will that cost ?

On debarkation day, how easy will it be to get a cab to get us back to the bus terminal? Will the fact that we're in a concierge room help with that, i.e. can they get a cab faster and help us bypass some of the crowds? Thanks....

The Port Authority has cab lines with a dispatcher and lots of cabs. Its easy to get a cab. It should be less than $10.00.

Coming back there is also a line with many cabs although it can take a while until everyone is accommodated.... The concierge can't bump the cab line although they can get you off faster.... and that should help as well. You get VIP embarkation which makes you among the first off after people with only hand luggage walk off first.

• 4 weeks later...

We are taking a bus down from Utica NY to the terminal. ( Gem 3/13 departure) I was told to get round trip tickets on the way down so we can by-pass the upstairs ticket lines and go directly to the departure gates.

We were also told that the departure gates would be within a space or 2 of where we arrive at. This would give a few extra minutes of leeway time - our bus is scheduled to depart at noon.

Several have mentioned taking a cab from the terminal to the pier. I was told that it was only 2 blocks and an easy walk with bags on wheels.

Any knowledge out there on that ?

thanks

Herkimer417

Port Authority is 3 or 4 avenues plus 10+ streets from where you arrive. You will arrive at 8th Ave and 40th St. and need to go to 12th Ave. in the 50's. Take a look at a NY map. It is walkable, but a cab would be recommended.

We are taking a bus down from Utica NY to the terminal. ( Gem 3/13 departure) I was told to get round trip tickets on the way down so we can by-pass the upstairs ticket lines and go directly to the departure gates.

Buying round-trip tickets will save time, but do note that most tickets do have a cancellation fee or are completely non-refundable. Do be certain you will use the return portion of the tickets before purchasing. Also, while Greyhound and Trailways tickets are interchangeable, they may not always be used on Coach USA. See my notes below about returning to Utica on Coach USA, and if it is possible that you'll be returning on Coach USA you need to keep this in mind.

We were also told that the departure gates would be within a space or 2 of where we arrive at. This would give a few extra minutes of leeway time - our bus is scheduled to depart at noon.
Please double-check your schedules because they do not appear to be accurate . . . as least with respect to regularly-scheduled buses between Utica and New York. If you're traveling on the bus the same day as your departure, there are really only two schedules you should consider from Utica. First, there's a Greyhound Lines bus departing Utica at 7:15 a.m., and after a connection in Albany, arrives in New York at 12:15 p.m. Second, there's a Pine Hill Trailways bus departing Utica at 7:45 a.m. and arriving in New York at 2:35 p.m. Ordinarily I would choose the Pine Hill Trailways bus because (1) I consider Pine Hill Trailways to be a better company than Greyhound Lines in terms of equipment, reliability, and driver skill/courtesy, (2) the Pine Hill Trailways bus takes a more scenic route through the Catskills while Greyhound Lines uses the Thruway, (3) the Pine Hill Trailways bus originates in Utica, while the Greyhound Lines bus originates in Syracuse and will offer fewer choices of remaining seats, and (4) Greyhound Lines requires a connection in Albany while Pine Hill Trailways is direct. However, given the arrival times in New York and your need to be on board the vessel by a time certain, your only real choice might be Greyhound Lines.

Your vessel is scheduled back in New York at 9:00 a.m. The Pine Hill Trailways bus departs New York at 12:30 p.m., arriving in Utica at 7:00 p.m. There's also a Coach USA (ShortLine) bus that departs New York at 2:30 p.m., and after a connection in Binghamton, arrives in Utica at 9:05 p.m.; this service also operates along a scenic route through the Catskills. Otherwise there is a Greyhound Lines bus departing at 11:45 a.m., operating along I-80 through Pennslvania to Binghamton and Syracuse, connecting with another bus, and arriving back in Utica at 6:15 p.m.

Several have mentioned taking a cab from the terminal to the pier. I was told that it was only 2 blocks and an easy walk with bags on wheels.

Any knowledge out there on that ?

The rear of the Port Authority Bus Terminal is on Ninth Avenue, between 40th and 41st Streets. The Manhattan Cruise Terminal is on Twelfth Avenue between 48th and 52nd Streets. So you would need to walk 3 avenues and 8 to 12 blocks. While I would walk with luggage on wheels, you're probably the best judge of the reasonableness of that walk for yourself.

FYI numbered streets(from 48th to 41 street) are 1/20 of a mile each so 7 streets is 7/20 of a mile. Avenues are about 1/10 of a mile(actually they are closer to 2 1/2 streets which means about 1/8 of a mile each) so 12th avenue to 9th avenue is about 3/8's of a mile. =29/40 of a mile about 3/4 of a mile.....

While DW and I are originally from Maspeth, and both worked in the City, we have forgotten many places and distances in the 30 years since we left.

Thanks for helping with the distances.

I had spoken to the Trailsway person about 3 weeks back and it was her information that I was referring to. I'll have to reassess that information. She had also given me different route times - another research project to do.

With a $30 rate for parking, I know that is not one solution. Maybe I'll look at the train - they have a bar car!

Thanks for all

Merry Holidays:rolleyes:

Herkimer417

It is a nice trip by railroad. Penn Station is a few blocks further from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal compared to Port Authority Bus Terminal, but not unreasonably so.

There's a train departing Utica daily except Sundays at 7:57 a.m., arriving in New York City at 12:35 p.m. This would work out nicely. The train does not have a bar car. It has a cafe car in which alcohol is sold in addition to the usual snacks and sandwiches. There are tables in the cafe car where one can socialize. This train also offers business class seating. For an additional charge one can have increased leg room, a complimentary newspaper, and non-alcoholic beverages (if you want alcohol you'll have to pay full freight on those drinks).

Returning, trains depart from New York at 10:15 a.m., 1:15 p.m., and 3:45 p.m., arriving in Utica at 2:33 p.m., 5:33 p.m., and 8:44 p.m., respectively. The first two of these trains are like the inbound train in their facilities. The last train of the day is the "Lake Shore Limited," a full service train going all the way to Chicago. This train has a dining car serving complete meals. Between New York and Rensselaer the dining car also serves snacks and beverages; between Rensselaer and Utica (and onward to Chicago) there is a separate cafe car serving snacks and beverages. Note that this train is sometimes delayed in Rensselaer as it waits for through cars from Boston to arrive be attached to the train.

Thanks GTJ for your assistance.

I did a check to the Amtrac web site when I got off CC last time and got the same information, but with out the detail you provided - I appreciate it.

The train will be a must better way to go, more leg room, with wider seats and the view will be much nicer.

I found that the round trip is $108 - per person, I believe the bus was $118.

If I drove the parking would be $30 a day, and I'd be tired coming and going, plus I don't think I'd get to my destinations much faster then the train or bus.

The information from these sites is proving very valuable and helping me to make a safe and cost effective decision.

Thanks for all the help and

Happy Holidays

Herkimer417:)

It is a nice trip by railroad. Penn Station is a few blocks further from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal compared to Port Authority Bus Terminal, but not unreasonably so.

There's a train departing Utica daily except Sundays at 7:57 a.m., arriving in New York City at 12:35 p.m. This would work out nicely. The train does not have a bar car. It has a cafe car in which alcohol is sold in addition to the usual snacks and sandwiches. There are tables in the cafe car where one can socialize. This train also offers business class seating. For an additional charge one can have increased leg room, a complimentary newspaper, and non-alcoholic beverages (if you want alcohol you'll have to pay full freight on those drinks).

Returning, trains depart from New York at 10:15 a.m., 1:15 p.m., and 3:45 p.m., arriving in Utica at 2:33 p.m., 5:33 p.m., and 8:44 p.m., respectively. The first two of these trains are like the inbound train in their facilities. The last train of the day is the "Lake Shore Limited," a full service train going all the way to Chicago. This train has a dining car serving complete meals. Between New York and Rensselaer the dining car also serves snacks and beverages; between Rensselaer and Utica (and onward to Chicago) there is a separate cafe car serving snacks and beverages. Note that this train is sometimes delayed in Rensselaer as it waits for through cars from Boston to arrive be attached to the train.

I disagree. If you're taking the train on the day the cruise departs, even a minimal delay could mean missing the ship, particularly since the you are required to check in 90 minutes prior to the cruise departure, as the cruise line must submit its final passenger manifest to DHS no later than 60 minutes prior to sailing.

I disagree. If you're taking the train on the day the cruise departs, even a minimal delay could mean missing the ship, particularly since the you are required to check in 90 minutes prior to the cruise departure, as the cruise line must submit its final passenger manifest to DHS no later than 60 minutes prior to sailing.

I agree that there can sometimes be some anxiety when planning travel to arrive in a city on the same day as a vessel departs . . . and with good reason. I think the same reasoning applies as well to people who drive themselves to the cruise departure city on the same day (think "flat tire"). My preference is to arrive the day before if possible. Unfortunately, not everyone is able to do so, and as a result some people do "miss the boat."

Here, however, the original poster seemed to have accepted that risk by planning to travel on a scheduled bus due at Port Authority at 12:15 p.m.; the scheduled arrival time for the train is 12:35 p.m. If either the bus or the train were seriously late then there could be a problem. I can come up with scenarios where either the train or the bus would be better than the other. But here, I think Amtrak has generally done well with the short-distance trains between New York and Rensselaer with respect to time-keeping, and when I checked on-time arrivals for the past few days I saw good time-keeping. On the other hand, I would NOT consider using the "Lake Shore Limited" for arriving on-time in New York since it comes from Chicago and many times can be delayed by hours.

According to NCL's FAQs, "all guests are required to complete Online Check-In at least one day prior to sailing and must complete check-in at the cruise terminal and be onboard the ship no later than one hour prior to the departure time noted on their cruise documents or they will not be permitted to sail" (I, too, thought it was 90 minutes, but that's not what's posted online). On 13 March the Gem departs at 4:00 p.m., so passengers must be onboard no later than 3:00 p.m. (assuming online check-in was completed in advance). This gives a window of about 2 hours, good under most situations but indeed any substantial delay could be a problem.

Archived