Have they ever cancelled a cruise?

boomonster

Have they ever cancelled a cruise due to these issues? (just a little naive) Just wondering we are on the Destiny next week. Another question how late can you book another cruise unfortunately with another company? Like the day before the cruise leaves?New to this and was just wondering. We are going to be in Miami anyway nonrefundable air. Thanks in advance .

Have they ever cancelled a cruise due to these issues? (just a little naive) Just wondering we are on the Destiny next week..

Cruise usually cancelled for full-ship charter [tho that would've occured much earlier] or for mechanical/weather reasons. All rare at this point! Usually, you must book 72 hours precruise [Homeland Security issues]

Have they ever cancelled a cruise due to these issues? (just a little naive) Just wondering we are on the Destiny next week. Another question how late can you book another cruise unfortunately with another company? Like the day before the cruise leaves?New to this and was just wondering. We are going to be in Miami anyway nonrefundable air. Thanks in advance .

What issues :confused:

Cruises have been cancelled if the ship cant get back, but more likely they go out late the next time, rarely, very very very rarely is a cruise totally cancelled. I can think of only a couple cancelled because of a hurricane and the previous ship not getting back. Like Ike, where we got dumped in New Orleans, and Galveston was destroyed ... one cruise got cancelled, then they came back to Houston and went out of Houston the next times for a while.

The Miracle was having propulsion issues earlier this year. Our itinerary was changed since we couldn't go as far south and the two cruises right after ours were canceled so they could put it into drydock to fix it. So yes cruises do get canceled due to mechanical issues.

You can book cruises same day, if available. The 72 hour Homeland Security myth is just that - a MYTH that will not die.

The cruise lines do have to turn in a manifest shortly before sailing - like an hour.

Cruises are almost never canceled, more likely modified. If you find out about a modification in advance, you usually have the ability to cancel without penalty IF you do so without 24 hours. A delay of a few hours is probably insufficient grounds. Because you changed your mind is definitely insufficient grounds.

You can book cruises same day, if available. The 72 hour Homeland Security myth is just that - a MYTH that will not die..

I dont know why otherwise knowledgable posters post this myth. You would think after a while they would know that its not true, and never was true.

People will argue with me about some rule about homeland security since 9/11 ... "they heard" and post it as fact.

you are correct, you can book as late as the morning of a cruise, my PVP concurs. She did say it would be a little more work for her, I guess she would need a supervisor's approval last minute or something, so its not quite as easy as if you booked in advance.

Didn't like that answer. Apparently the last 2 cruises on Destiny have been modified. Having speed issues. I'll could live with modified. according to the board here they were notifiying people the day before for the modifications. Just a little worried first cruise and all. thanks for info

A group of us are booked on Destiny leaving this Thursday. We will be none to happy if there is an itinerary change to the Bahamas after paying for and booking specifically Mexico. And to be notified the day before is very inconsiderate of the the cruise line given the fact they know they are still have propulsion problems (just got off the phone with Carnival and they confirm Destiny is sailing "crippled."). Carnival should step up to the plate and if a passenger wants to cancel allow them to do so or provide a substantial discount for those who agree to the sailing with the modified itinerary. If you stay in a hotel and you have issues, people expect money back, why should the cruise lines not be held to the same standard.

A group of us are booked on Destiny leaving this Thursday. We will be none too happy if there is an itinerary change to the Bahamas after paying for and booking specifically Mexico. And to be notified the day before is very inconsiderate of the the cruise line given the fact they know they are still have propulsion problems (just got off the phone with Carnival and they confirm Destiny is sailing "crippled."). Carnival should step up to the plate and if a passenger wants to cancel allow them to do so or provide a substantial discount for those who agree to the sailing with the modified itinerary. If you stay in a hotel and you have issues, people expect money back, why should the cruise lines not be held to the same standard.

What was to be my first cruise was canceled, due to mechanical issues(April 1999). After documents were sent out they apparently sent notification to my TA who totally dropped the ball and we figured this out when calling to confirm flights two days before the cruise:eek: At the time they could get us on another ship, but could not get us on flights from MN to FL. :( This was before we discovered Cruise Critic, I'm sure the folks on CC knew about it. Needless to say my first cruise wasn't until October 1999.

Didn't like that answer. Apparently the last 2 cruises on Destiny have been modified. Having speed issues. I'll could live with modified. according to the board here they were notifiying people the day before for the modifications. Just a little worried first cruise and all. thanks for info

Sorry. I'm not sure what was modified or what will be modified. Not a good start for a first cruise, I'll admit.

FYI, the cruise lines won't sell it to you, but there is cancel for any reason insurance available for cruises. I'm sure it is premium priced, but something you could consider for next time.

Personally, all I carry is medical. I'm happy to be on a cruise. If the cruise is shortened or ports missed, oh well.

For every cruise shortened, usually another cruise is lengthened. Welcome to day 9 of your 7 day cruise. Some people expect compensation for that. Imagine that.

Our last cruise (Valor,April,2009) was booked almost a year in advance. It was originally to be the Eastern route.(Nassau, St. Thomas,etc.) Six months before the cruise date, CCL changed it to the "exotic western" itinerary. We were disappointed, but stuck with the ship, being we were never at some of the ports offered, and we wanted to keep our cabin location. :rolleyes:

A group of us are booked on Destiny leaving this Thursday. We will be none too happy if there is an itinerary change to the Bahamas after paying for and booking specifically Mexico. And to be notified the day before is very inconsiderate of the the cruise line given the fact they know they are still have propulsion problems (just got off the phone with Carnival and they confirm Destiny is sailing "crippled."). Carnival should step up to the plate and if a passenger wants to cancel allow them to do so or provide a substantial discount for those who agree to the sailing with the modified itinerary. If you stay in a hotel and you have issues, people expect money back, why should the cruise lines not be held to the same standard.

Well, the people who just came back, two of them posted they missed their best port. They called Carnival before they left who said the mechanical issues were fixed, but apparantly they werent. See the post about the guy wanting to sue. He cant sue over missing a port, for whatever reason, but must be his first cruise too. He is unhappy. Another poster said Carnival is handling the problem poorly.

In answer to your question, a cruise is meant as a cruise, not as a way to get to destinations. Its in the fine print that Carnival can change any ports for whatever reason (see the policy yourself). If ports are that important, people will be all over you if you complain, that you should book a land vacation.

Well, the people who just came back, two of them posted they missed their best port. They called Carnival before they left who said the mechanical issues were fixed, but apparantly they werent. See the post about the guy wanting to sue. He cant sue over missing a port, for whatever reason, but must be his first cruise too. He is unhappy. Another poster said Carnival is handling the problem poorly.

In answer to your question, a cruise is meant as a cruise, not as a way to get to destinations. Its in the fine print that Carnival can change any ports for whatever reason (see the policy yourself). If ports are that important, people will be all over you if you complain, that you should book a land vacation.

Not sure I totally agree as a cruise being meant as just a cruise. Many people save a long time to take a cruise to get a chance to see a particular island or destination. I understand ports can change but still believe that if the itinerary is impacted significantly the cruise line should step up to the plate with some sort of options for the passengers. Our next cruise will be through the Panama Canal something we have wanted to do for a very long time. If the cruise line would not be able to go through the canal (due to some sort of ship problem) under your theory it's still a cruise and I guess it would be OK to cruise up and down the Mexican Riviera for fifteen nights or have a really long cruise to no where.

There are plenty of cruisers who will state that they're just happy to be on a ship. But that isn't the case with all of us, and the shrug the shoulders and say, "Oh well, at least I'm not working" stuff shows a lack of understanding and compassion for those of us who cruise for reasons other than just love of cruise ships.

I choose my cruises for the ports, so having an unexpected itinerary change and totally NOT going to some of those ports would be a huge deal for me.

I can understand why some people get very upset. Yes, you're still on a cruise and you're still not working, blah, blah, but when you are on a budget and you picked that cruise to get to see a particular port and then end up in Cozumel or Nassau yet again, it would not be a great vacation.

But Carnival can't just cancel a cruise that has been scheduled for months or even years because of a mechanical issue unless it is so bad that the ship cannot sail. They will sail if at all possible, even if they can't get to the ports they were scheduled to visit.

It is unfortunate that they can't give people more notice about these issues and provide them with more options, but that's just the way it goes.

Not sure I totally agree as a cruise being meant as just a cruise. Many people save a long time to take a cruise to get a chance to see a particular island or destination. I understand ports can change but still believe that if the itinerary is impacted significantly the cruise line should step up to the plate with some sort of options for the passengers. Our next cruise will be through the Panama Canal something we have wanted to do for a very long time. If the cruise line would not be able to go through the canal (due to some sort of ship problem) under your theory it's still a cruise and I guess it would be OK to cruise up and down the Mexican Riviera for fifteen nights or have a really long cruise to no where.

Cruise companies cannot control weather/fate/political situations. The best they can do is work around it the best they can. If there is a political situation in Panama that makes it unsafe for a cruise ship to go through the canal, then yes, the cruise company will attempt to find alternate ports or have lots of sea days.

Stuff happens and most of it is out of cruise companies hands.... If you want a guaranteed destination, then fly there, otherwise enjoy what the cruise line offers you in the way of destinations.

There are plenty of cruisers who will state that they're just happy to be on a ship. But that isn't the case with all of us, and the shrug the shoulders and say, "Oh well, at least I'm not working" stuff shows a lack of understanding and compassion for those of us who cruise for reasons other than just love of cruise ships.

I choose my cruises for the ports, so having an unexpected itinerary change and totally NOT going to some of those ports would be a huge deal for me.

I can understand why some people get very upset. Yes, you're still on a cruise and you're still not working, blah, blah, but when you are on a budget and you picked that cruise to get to see a particular port and then end up in Cozumel or Nassau yet again, it would not be a great vacation.

But Carnival can't just cancel a cruise that has been scheduled for months or even years because of a mechanical issue unless it is so bad that the ship cannot sail. They will sail if at all possible, even if they can't get to the ports they were scheduled to visit.

It is unfortunate that they can't give people more notice about these issues and provide them with more options, but that's just the way it goes.

Same here...I choose my cruises for the ports. Even though many say you shouldnt as that sometimes changes. We scuba dive in every port and therefore I like to find ports with good diving.

I agree with you. We needed a short cruise because time and money are tight right now. I love being on the ship but I also love going to the ports I signed up for. That is one of their major selling points.

With that being said, I understand that this is a boat and problems do play a role in the outcome of a vacation; whether it is mechanical, travel, or weather related. I think I speak for most, at least for the Thanksgiving day cruise, when we say we would just like to know our options in advance.

Having Carnival call and say our ship is hurting and these are your options would go a long way in retaining guests. I don't see the point in having a couple thousand people fly/drive to the port only to be greated with news that could have been done with a phone call. They probably figure at least half will still shrug their shoulders and get on and spend money.

How a business handles a problem like this really affects future revenue. People rarely write reviews of good times they had and are highly more likely to spred their word of bad times.

I am just hoping the mechanics they have working on this problem can produce a nice outcome!

Im just repeating what TAs posted to the other poster.

I lost my car to Ike while I was on Conquest, and know Carnival handles problems very very very poorly. We got dumped in New Orleans (to the people who said we had a choice to stay on and go back to Houston, for Conquest that option was almost 24 hours later ... I was already home before that option came up). I learned to not trust Carnival and will never trust them again to help if there is a problem.

Having Carnival call and say our ship is hurting and these are your options would go a long way in retaining guests. I don't see the point in having a couple thousand people fly/drive to the port only to be greated with news that could have been done with a phone call. They probably figure at least half will still shrug their shoulders and get on and spend money. !

I think thats exactly why they dont call you up and present options, ... half might cancel and Carnival doesnt want to lose the revenue. They are about the bottom line. There will be new cruisers to replace you if you dont come back.

Having Carnival call and say our ship is hurting and these are your options would go a long way in retaining guests. I don't see the point in having a couple thousand people fly/drive to the port only to be greated with news that could have been done with a phone call. . .

How a business handles a problem like this really affects future revenue. People rarely write reviews of good times they had and are highly more likely to spred their word of bad times.

I totally agree with your points above.

There is (at least) one cruise line that will bring in extra personnel when situations like these arise (mechanical, weather, etc) with their sole purpose to handle the specialty communication as outbound calls. This leaves the regular reservations team on their phones to continue 'business as usual'.

If an inbound call concerning the status of an upcoming sailing hits the regular line at CCL, I'm not certain how much time (expecially if they've not been given proper internal information) they'll want to spend on a call that is generating zero revenue for them.

For those on upcoming Carnival Destiny sailings, I hope you'll all have a wonderful time, and enjoy your scheduled vacations, even if they're not as originally planned. :)

Cruise companies cannot control weather/fate/political situations. The best they can do is work around it the best they can. If there is a political situation in Panama that makes it unsafe for a cruise ship to go through the canal, then yes, the cruise company will attempt to find alternate ports or have lots of sea days.

Stuff happens and most of it is out of cruise companies hands.... If you want a guaranteed destination, then fly there, otherwise enjoy what the cruise line offers you in the way of destinations.

Did you read my post? In particular the part about "due to a ship problem". Of course no one would expect the cruise line to take a ship full of passengers into an area with civil unrest that's common sense. We just got of the Liberty earlier this month that sailed during hurricane Ida and adjustments where made to the itinerary again it makes sense in that situation. In this case the ship has been having propulsion problems for awhile now and the cruise lines attitude is take what we give you and be happy. It's the perception that the company only cares about the bottom line.

Did you read my post? In particular the part about "due to a ship problem". Of course no one would expect the cruise line to take a ship full of passengers into an area with civil unrest that's common sense. We just got of the Liberty earlier this month that sailed during hurricane Ida and adjustments where made to the itinerary again it makes sense in that situation. In this case the ship has been having propulsion problems for awhile now and the cruise lines attitude is take what we give you and be happy. It's the perception that the company only cares about the bottom line.

Very well said. We are cruising on the Destiny 12/14 and I chose this cruise because of the price and the ports. Grand Turk being the other reason I booked. Nassau doesn't interest me but I hear Half Moon Cay is great. I have a feeling if the problem is not fixed we will not be going to Grand Turk. If I am giving the option to cancel I believe I will mainly bc I booked airfare through Southwest and will receive a credit.

... half might cancel and Carnival doesnt want to lose the revenue. They are about the bottom line. There will be new cruisers to replace you if you dont come back.

. . .In this case the ship has been having propulsion problems for awhile now and the cruise lines attitude is take what we give you and be happy. It's the perception that the company only cares about the bottom line.

Perception is reality?? :D :D

Archived