Tortola, St Thomas, Samana, Great Stirrup Cay, best excursions for wheelchair users

awg1747

Hi, I am about to embark on a caribbean cruise on the Norwegian Pearl, SCI T4.

What are the best excursions for wheelchair users in Samana, St Thomas, Tortola and Great Stirrup Cay? I am going with DW, two pre teens, a 16 year old and myself.

I prefer safe active wheelchair accessible excursions. Can any wheelchair user recommend one that they have actually done that is wheelchair accessible? Swimming, underwater sightseeing, etc.

In order to get off my wheelchair I have to be carried. Complete SCI.

Thanks!

I have cruised twice before and had a wonderful time. Both times I have been tempted to take a snorkeling or glass bottom or underwater sight seeing tour but never got the nerve to do it. Too many stories about transfering to the boat and to/from the water and the like. That is why I would like recommendations from wheelchair users who have done it or someone who has gone with a w/c user.

I would love to take my kids snorkeling or some active excursion, at least once during the cruise that I am able to participate myself. I can swim well. Thanks for your response.

We just got back on the NCL Jewel that included Samana. My mom is disabled and uses a scooter. Samana is a tender port and you will need to be carried down stairs and on and off the tender if you decide to go ashore. My mom did not even try to go ashore and I am glad. Samana is a very poor primitive country and nothing is handicapped accessible. Our group took three taxis. One taxi brokedown, one got a flat tire. I was lucky to be on the third that didnt have any problems. The roads are not even really roads. They are just a series of never ending pot holes. I saw a pig getting ready to be slaughtered by the side of the road. Samana was a real eye opener for me. :eek:

I just want you to be aware how underdeveloped this port is. I suggest you make Samana a ship day unless you are really adventurous.

We also went to Tortola. It was modern compared to Samana but I don't know of any accessible tour operators. We went on a snorkeling catamaran tour. We were able to transfer mom to a regular taxi and the tour company didn't mind giving my mom alot of extra help.

Good luck and I hope you have a fantastic cruise.

I have not been there, but I assume that Great Stirrup Cay is NCL's private island. If so, based on my experience with the private islands of other cruise companies, the private island is usually the most accessible stop. There are most often sidewalks leading from the pier and the shops and restaurant are in a paved area. Suggest you contact NCL Special Needs and ask what accessible activities would be available for you. The private islands also provide a good family day of swimming, snorkeling and other beach activities:)

Hi, I am about to embark on a caribbean cruise on the Norwegian Pearl, SCI T4.

What are the best excursions for wheelchair users in Samana, St Thomas, Tortola and Great Stirrup Cay? I am going with DW, two pre teens, a 16 year old and myself.

I prefer safe active wheelchair accessible excursions. Can any wheelchair user recommend one that they have actually done that is wheelchair accessible? Swimming, underwater sightseeing, etc.

In order to get off my wheelchair I have to be carried. Complete SCI.

Thanks!

I am a para, 18yr, and have been to St. Thomas and I too would like to have done some water activitues but none to be found. St thomas you will need to set up your own transportation, none of the NCL excursions will work when your in a chair. There are shops at the pier (havensite) but town is far away. They were able to call a car taxi but my chair had to be totally dissassembled to fit. Tortula has a small town within pushing distance, but all the taxis are pickup truck like. Great Stirup Cay is a tender island, and you will need to be carried into the tender and if it is too rough they will not let you go and if you do go I have been told that they will need to get a beach chair for you and plop you in a beach chair were you will be stuck until they come & get you. I was not willing to do that.

I still had a great cruise

Archived