correct way to board with wine

unatheo

We (wife,myself and 2 kids) are planning on a cruise in April. I'd like to bring some wine for the trip. I've looked on line but am unable to find the correct way to bring it aboard. Any advice would be great and Thanks in Advance.

We (wife,myself and 2 kids) are planning on a cruise in April. I'd like to bring some wine for the trip. I've looked on line but am unable to find the correct way to bring it aboard. Any advice would be great and Thanks in Advance.

You are allowed 1 bottle per person in your carry on... anymore needs to be in your checked luggage;)

Correct on that one. Should I bring in through carry on and have it checked in at the port or should I place it in the luggage then bring it with me at the sit down dinners. My wife says that I'm too vague sometimes, you think?

Correct on that one. Should I bring in through carry on and have it checked in at the port or should I place it in the luggage then bring it with me at the sit down dinners. My wife says that I'm too vague sometimes, you think?

If it is in your carry on bag.. you will be checking it in with you.. if it is in your checked luggage you will receive it once you receive those bags.. it doesn't matter where you put it.. you are allowed to bring it with you to dinner.. but be aware there is a $15 corkage fee I do believe per bottle..

I'd rather spend the money on wine that I know that we like than spend a lot of money on a wine we may not be too thrilled with having for dinner. Besides I can get a wine through my work at wholesale and sample it beforehand. :-)

I'd rather spend the money on wine that I know that we like than spend a lot of money on a wine we may not be too thrilled with having for dinner. Besides I can get a wine through my work at wholesale and sample it beforehand. :-)

Well bring your wine and enjoy;):)

It's in Carnival's FAQs...

"...guests 21 years of age and older only may bring one bottle (750ml) of wine or champagne, per person, on board only during embarkation at the beginning of the cruise."

"On board during embarkation" = carry it on.

The only time I've been asked was in Jacksonville last December. I simply pulled the bottle out of my carryon (just before the bag went through the scanner) and showed it to the Carnival employee.

If you pack it in a roll-on bag that you're bringing on, and they ask to see it, it will be more difficult and time-consuming to open a case and dig it out.

That carryon does get heavy, though, so I may do that in December anyway. I'm sure the people in the security line behind me won't mind if I hold them up another 3 minutes, right? ;)

Reading between the lines

it doesn't really matter, it will more than likely never be known if you have it or not.

Some people have been known to bring several bottles or boxes of wine and or other

alcoholic beverages Carnival has it's rules, but they are frequently broken.

I am not saying do this, just saying it is VERY common.

On our past 2 cruises, we brought 2 bottles/adult (yes, I know that only one is "allowed"). We put one each in the luggage we were checking and one each in our carry-ons. Since the carry-ons and checked are never together, they really can't track that we had 2 bottles each.

In Tampa, we were asked to take out the bottles in the carry-ons to prove they were not open. In Port Canaveral, they asked what the other bottle they saw on xray was, since we each had a bottle of water also. They said that they could tell the other bottle was wine. In Port Canaveral, they were confiscating beer and other alcohol that was not wine or champagne.

We asked for wine glasses at the atrium bar and would bring a glass to the dinner table with us, rather than the whole bottle. So, no corkage fee there.

Whether you place your wine in your checked luggage or your carry on, try using the smaller-type of bubble wrap around it and then putting them in a large zip lock type bag. The bottles shouldn't crack but just in case they do you do not want your bottles to leak on your clothes.

I might be wrong but you might have a corkage fee if you bring your own wine to the dining room. Some people here at cruise critic have said they were charged a fee and others have said they were not charged a corkage fee. I guess the fee is a hit or miss. Depending on who waits your table.

Corkage fees have nothing whatsoever to do with opening the wine. It is to pay for glasses and taking care of it, etc. It is very hit or miss- we were told by our waiter we would and we weren't . We did pay corkage in the steak house. As far as packing- we take one each in the bags we check on board and one in each carry on- or at least one in each of the adults bags. So with 4 of us we take 7 bottles Yes it is breaking the rules. We should be taking no more than 4.

If it is in your carry on bag.. you will be checking it in with you.. if it is in your checked luggage you will receive it once you receive those bags.. it doesn't matter where you put it.. you are allowed to bring it with you to dinner.. but be aware there is a $15 corkage fee I do believe per bottle..

On our cruise in September (Splendor) we hand carried 3 bottles of wine (there were 3 adults) in our carry on bags. We opened the wine in our cabin, poured glasses in the cabin (which were in the cabin), and carried the glasses plus the open bottle to dinner. We were not charged the corkage, and we were very conscientious about making sure our waiter did NOT handle the bottle, self pouring and letting him know we would do so. He was fine with that. No issues. At the end of the meal, we recorked the bottle, and carried it (and our glasses) back to the cabin. One of us wanted wine at the show and poured herself a glass and hand carried it (not the bottle) to the theater.

Archived