Grandeur with children...opinions?

We are very seasoned cruisers and have 3 kids, ages 10 10 and 8. We need a quick "fix" and I got a smokin' deal on a RFS for the Grandeur out of Tampa to Cozumel. We have been on RCCL several times but not on an older ship. Our last 3 cruises were NCL in the Courtyard Villas, I know we got spoiled. Before that it was Disney X3 and big 2 bedroom suites. We cruise at least once if not twice a year for 15 years.

I have read mixed reviews. Hubbie and I just like being on the water, the kids..they would cruise in steerage if they had to. But this time I am nervous. I have never taken a 4 night cruise..are we going to get good service? ANd does anyone have opinion on the kids programs?

Our last RCCL was 5 years ago, our only complaint was with a purser who swore at me when we bought a DVD of our children and it wasn't ACTUALLY our children...we also had the auction folks refuse to honor the prices on art we purchased and refuse to give them to us! ( but ..who cares.I had too much champagne anyway!) but we have always been pleased. But I haven't been on an older ship.

So, my question is this-am I nervous for nothing? It IS only 4 nights...

Any comments most appreciated!

Thanks

Kathy:eek:

We have cruised on the Grandeur many times and it remains one of our favorite ships. The staff is very friendly and service oriented. You get a very personal cruise experience on the Grandeur which just is not possible on larger ships. The dining room staff are top notch and the food is always as good as it gets on RCCL ships now. We have taken our granddaughter a couple times but she did not do the kids program. A friend did take her family on the same cruise you are considering out of Tampa -- her kids are 4 and 12. They had a ball.

If I were you I would go and have a good time. If you paid the low prices we're seeing for 4 day cruises on RCCL it's not going to cost you an arm and a leg to give it a try and any day on a ship is better than a day on land!

You let ME know how it goes, cause I am doing the same thing. :D Found an incredible deal for next September, so I grabbed some cabins.

I did have to explain to the kids that it WILL be different from Freedom and Indy. But in the end, we'll still be on the water. All is good. :D

I'll be looking for your review when you return.

The RFS's on the ship are very nice. There were 6 of us in one last May, Wife and I, SIL,DIL,1Yr.old GS and 4yr.old GD. The master bedroom is very roomy for a cruise ship and has a built in DVD player in the TV, the TV in the living room does not. The bathroom in the master bedroom has a bathtub, and is good sized.. The other bathroom has a shower and is small. The living room is fairly large (for a cruise ship) and they have a nice balcony (forward cabins, did not have a stern FS. ). The Adventure Ocean is very popular, our GD loved it, didn't want to leave most days. The second bedroom is small and if you put the beds together, you have about a foot extra on all sides, we used staff babysitter one night and she was very good. Hope this helps.

Glenn :)

Archived