changes since 2007

elsie60

We are loyal HAL cruisers and haven't cruised on HAL since January, 2007. What are the biggest changes we should be prepared for, besides the lack of trays in the Lido? We booked a guarantee for the first time, a SS guarantee for the Westerdam 2/7/2010. The last time we were on the Westerdam, we had an aft/port suite that we loved! Thank you in advance for any advise/suggestions.

Lori

You will now have 2 cabin stewards.

The Hotel service charge is now $11 per person.

By the time you cruise, the separate wine cards, coffee cards, soda cards and cocktail cards will be replaced by a $50 card. It really won't be a card -- when you buy the $50 "card", each time you order a house wine, or coffee, etc., will be deducted from your ID card which subtracts the amount from your onboard account.

We are loyal HAL cruisers and haven't cruised on HAL since January, 2007. What are the biggest changes we should be prepared for, besides the lack of trays in the Lido? We booked a guarantee for the first time, a SS guarantee for the Westerdam 2/7/2010. The last time we were on the Westerdam, we had an aft/port suite that we loved! Thank you in advance for any advise/suggestions.

Lori

Hi Elsie and welcome back!!

We have a fairly decent and active roll call for the Feb 7th sailing of my favorite ship at: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1055723 come on over and join us if you'd like!!

It appears we are going to have a fairly decent M&G on the 8th in the Crows Nest (38 so far signed up) and all kinds of goodies and interesting fellow CC members.

I'm seriously thinking of suggesting not only a pub crawl one night, but also a stateroom crawl for after the meet and greet.

Hope to meet you on our ship:)

Joanie

By the time you cruise, the separate wine cards, coffee cards, soda cards and cocktail cards will be replaced by a $50 card. It really won't be a card -- when you buy the $50 "card", each time you order a house wine, or coffee, etc., will be deducted from your ID card which subtracts the amount from your onboard account.

KK, is there any advantage to buying these $50 "cards" over just putting it on your room card?

I talked with a couple of the Bar Tenders and they aren't impressed with this new $50 "card" even though it will make it easier for them as they don't have to worry about punching any cards.

On the old cocktail card it covered drinks made with some brand name alcohol --like stholi's and Absolute -- now these mixed drinks will not be covered. Any drinks made with the house brands.

There are people who don't mind house brands so they will enjoy these cards.

Only time will tell what will actually happen and if the program differs from ship to ship.

You will now have 2 cabin stewards.

The Hotel service charge is now $11 per person.

So....What would be the difference between having the $50 card or just charging the beverages to your onboard account??

Yes, it used to be you would get a "bargain" if you bought the cards for coffee or wine, over the regular charges. How does that work now or are these 'bargains" gone.

Also if we still have an unused coffee card, will we be able to still use it on our next HAL cruise? Or, will they issue a credit on our account for this now defunct card?

Agree, having a single "smart card" must make things easier as often our wine steward did not punch it each time we had a glass of wine with dinner, but he kind of kept a running tally in his head and punch it later, that seemed to be more generous than what we actually paid for.

Thanks.

Thanks everyone for your response. I'm curious too as to the discount you get with the $50 card. I like my wine and my husband likes his signature cocktails and his diet coke. Is there an advantage to purchasing the card? I'm o.k. with the increase in the hotel charge.

Joanie, I will send you an email with our info. Sounds like a good group!

Lori

Archived