Singapore Debarkation

paul929207

We got off the Tahitian Princess in Singapore this week. We were told that we could not bring alcohol or chewing gum into Singapore. This applied even if you were going straight to the airport to fly out. There were also restrictions on cigarettes. It sounded like one open pack was allowed.

I have been to Singapore many times and you can take 1 litre of alcohol into the country from a cruise ship. The only acception to this is if the ship is coming from or has been to Malaysia. If that is so you cannot take any alcohol at all. Singapore had a problem with people going over the boarder to Malaysia to avoid it's high taxes on alcohol and cigarettes so they now have a blanket ban on anyone coming from there no matter where else you have been.

I once bought alcohol duty free in Australia and had a stopover in KL before going to Singapore. The alcohol was in my main luggage in the hold of the plane and was found via x-ray and confiscated even though it had been opened and was bought in Australia not Mayalsia.

You may not take any cigarettes, even an open packet, into the country and there are major restrictions on where you smoke. Smoking in public is usually limited to smoking areas in parks.

Chewing gum is banned and I would not take it in with you.

Please do not try to cheat these people they take a very dim view of it. In the last 30 years Singapore has brought in some laws that we may think are harsh but I can assure you that the city is a far cleaner and safer place than it was and indeed than where I live in Australia.

You may not take any cigarettes, even an open packet, into the country and there are major restrictions on where you smoke. Smoking in public is usually limited to smoking areas in parks.

this is incorrect. i was allowed to take an open pack in multiple times. just be sure to stop and declare it. smoking in public places is VERY limited. the areas are clearly marked, being posted and outlined by a yellow box.

the penalties are SEVERE including hefty fines and jail time. don't mess around.

on the plus side, if you are leaving the country cigs are very cheap at the airport. i bought marlboros for about 11$ US per carton.

this is incorrect. i was allowed to take an open pack in multiple times. just be sure to stop and declare it. smoking in public places is VERY limited. the areas are clearly marked, being posted and outlined by a yellow box.

While I agree that my wife has also been permitted to enter Singapore with an open packet their law states quite clearly:-

Duty-Free Concessions

If you are a bona fide traveller not below 18 years of age, have arrived from countries other than Malaysia and have spent 48 hours or more outside Singapore immediately before your arrival, you will be given the following duty-free concessions for liquors:

1 litre spirits (brandy, whisky, gin, rum, vodka, etc.)1 litre wine, and1 litre beer or stout or ale or porter.

There is NO GST RELIEF AND DUTY-FREE CONCESSION ON CIGARETTES AND OTHER TOBACCO PRODUCTS. Please declare them at the Red Channel for payment of duty and GST.

Bona fide crew members will be granted duty-free concessions on 0.25 litre of spirits, and either 1 litre of wine or 1 litre of beer.

If you are a transit passenger arriving by air at Changi Airport, you may deposit the excess dutiable goods in a Customs bond pending your departure. Please click here for more information.

Your GST relief and duty-free concessions are granted for your personal consumption only. It is an offence to sell or give them away. GST has to be paid on goods carried on behalf of other persons.

Source:-http://www.customs.gov.sg/leftNav/trav/all/GST+Relief+and+Duty-Free+Concessions.htm

The OP did say they believed that an open packet was allowed and the simple answer is no. The long answer is that you may get relief from duty at the descretion of the customs officer you deal with, its up to you.:)

Archived