Dress code for Destiny

ant78

After reading several reviews on the dresscode being informal im looking for some more info on that. Myself and daughter do not mind dressing smart at all, we are rather looking forward to it, its just my grandsons are 14 and 4 and we do not have a clue as to dresscode for them if there is one. My daughters bought them both a pair of smart linen trousers, its just the 14 year old is a jeans an shorts kid . Any help with this would be great. Also we will be on the Coral Islands & caribbean gems so will this mean 2 captains evenings ?? and how glitsy should we dress.

Cheers SJ

Just came back from sailing on the Destiny. Generally dress code is informal only rule is no shorts to be worn in the Seven Seas restaurant during the evening meal. Smart casual will be fine although on the captains gala night you might want to wear a suit at least.

On formal nights kids can still go informal, though it might be nice for them to wear the linen trousers, perhaps with a shirt and even a colourful waistcoat (though it's only a suggestion)

If you want to push the boat out, get a tux for your youngest. We get one for our son every year, as he loves to dress up. Other cruise pax think that it's great that we make such an effort, and it's not expensive. We get the shirt, bow tie, suit and trousers for under £20.

http://www.childrenssuits.co.uk/4%20-%20n2.html (this website is an example of the suits available) If it breaks forum rules I apologise in advance!

We've seen younsters within your boys' age range wearing smart trousers (which you already have) plus a long sleeved shirt (school shirt would do!) and a bow tie - and they've looked charming! (I could well have been amongst the pax making a fuss of Rosebasket's children - I can't help complimenting the young ones when they dress up and look so lovely!) So for me, I'd just invest in a bow tie - even a brightly coloured/fun one would be more than acceptable (as long as it doesn't squirt water!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:) and perhaps allow your boys to stamp a little of their own personalities on the outfit.

As for dressing up - go for it. I enjoy getting out my glad rags for formal night (don't know when I'd wear them otherwise!) and anything from full length to cocktail length to smart trousers with a dressy (glitzy?) top fits in well. Most people do make an effort and if you like dressing up then go with whatever you want to wear. And yes, in the b-2-b you will have two formal evenings - usually the first (sea) day of each week. Enjoy! I'm sure you will. :)

I have just returned from my first cruise on the Destiny and although I am used to black tie occasions, I didn't feel stiffled by putting on my Tux.

Even on my table threr was a full raft of dress styles on the formal evening with ladies going from trouser to full evening wear.;

Do not think that you will be judged by what you are wearing, cruisers are the most friendly bunch of people you will ever meet.

We were on the Destiny at the end of Oct. My son is 7yrs and he wore a nice pair of black trousers that i bought for $8 in Matalan and a striped shirt and tie for #5 and he looked very smart. Most of the children had trousers and shirts on and the little girs had the most pretty dresses :)

I never wear dresses but thought i should get one in order to fit in but to be honest i could have worn a nice pair of trousers and a top and still fitted in. Some ladies had proper formal dresses, others a nice simple black dress and others a nice pair of trousers and top dressed up with some jewellery. After eating my meal I felt like i was popping out of my dress and so decided to change into a pair of trousers and a top and didnt look out of place.

So dont stress about it, you can dress up as mush or as little as you fancy and wont look out of place. Hope you have a fabulous time, we did :D

So is a Tux 4 much for the Captains night ?

Definitely not - we've found it's varied between about 50% to 70% in a tux - depends a bit on itinerary (easier with no luggage allowance sailing out of UK) one/two week trips etc. but we always take evening wear, enjoy dressing up and don't feel at all out of place. I think this thread mainly related to advice about children/teenagers' wear - but again I've seen youngsters in DJs or just shirt and tie or bow tie and they've looked very suitably dressed.

It was more dressy on Thomson than a much bigger glitzier ship we sailed on - although we were prepared and didn't bother taking evening wear. I think often people are surprised at how much effort passengers generally go to for Gala night on Thomson. I think there's a perception that it's a bit more down-market - but although the ships are a bit jaded, the service and standard of dining is far superior to many 4/5* hotels we've stayed in (e.g. in the Canaries).

It's a persoanl choice, but if you have evening wear and quite like dressing up for the occasion - I'd say go for it! And enjoy! :)

Archived