Covering for balcony

Konagal

I goofed when I chose my cabin and selected an open balcony. Now that I've learned more about the weather on our Panama Canal cruise, I regret not selecting a covered balcony. the ship is full and all cabins are waitlisted so it's unlikely that a change will be possible. This may sound like a strange question but does anyone have suggestions for "creating a covered balcony", primarily to avoid exposure to intense sun (too hot to be outside) and to protect from rain. For example, I considered bringing a tarp but (1)don't know that there will be anything to attach it to and (2) wondered if it would create a mini sauna underneath it. I'll definitely be bringing an unbrella that attaches to the back of the chair but any other thoughts are appreciated.:confused:

I goofed when I chose my cabin and selected an open balcony. Now that I've learned more about the weather on our Panama Canal cruise, I regret not selecting a covered balcony. the ship is full and all cabins are waitlisted so it's unlikely that a change will be possible. This may sound like a strange question but does anyone have suggestions for "creating a covered balcony", primarily to avoid exposure to intense sun (too hot to be outside) and to protect from rain. For example, I considered bringing a tarp but (1)don't know that there will be anything to attach it to and (2) wondered if it would create a mini sauna underneath it. I'll definitely be bringing an unbrella that attaches to the back of the chair but any other thoughts are appreciated.:confused:

PS this is on the Coral Princess leaving 12/7

Depending on the direction you are sailing and the time of day I doubt the sun (assuming it's even shining!) will be beating down on your balcony for the whole day. You may have to find somewhere else to enjoy the view if you really can't tolerate it. I would also expect the cruiseline to actively discourage the use of a tarp or other home-made sunshade/umbrella for safety reasons apart from anything else :eek:

On Princess I'm pretty sure you aren't allow to use any sort of "cover" on a balcony. There was a lengthy thread about this a few months ago on the Princess board.

I haven't done the Panama Canal, so perhaps it's different.....but most cruises I've been on, it's been pretty breezy (to downright windy) on the balcony most days. Anything that's not well secured could blow overboard or cause other problems.

• 2 weeks later...

I unknowingly booked an open balcony, too, and had the same reaction. Ours was on Princess. But, as it turned out, we were able to look straight down to the water from our balcony, and the covered ones were inset a bit so they could not. So we wound up with the best view going through the canal! Just take a big brimmed hat with something to keep it from blowing off in the wind, and you'll be fine. We were in the shade more than we expected, too. I think you'll be ok. Have a great time!

While gong thru the canal you will want to be up on the deck. You are so limited in what you can see from the balcony. Forget about any tarps. FInd a good hat and head upstairs and enjoy the sights. Cruising the canal is indeed something you want to see ..panorama view is the only way to go.

Archived