Sea Sickness

So I went to Shoppers Drug Mart today ( I'd say it's like a CVS pharmacy that you get in America) and they told me they don't sell bonine and dramamine in Canada. :( So I am staying in the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Airport hotel and I will see if they have a gift store that sells some, or if there is a place near by I can go.

Is Bonine and Dramamine the same thing just two different names, or does each one do something different?

So I went to Shoppers Drug Mart today ( I'd say it's like a CVS pharmacy that you get in America) and they told me they don't sell bonine and dramamine in Canada. :( So I am staying in the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Airport hotel and I will see if they have a gift store that sells some, or if there is a place near by I can go.

Is Bonine and Dramamine the same thing just two different names, or does each one do something different?

Bonine and Less Drowsy Dramamine are the same thing. Dramamine is a different formulation and more likely to make you sleepy. Pretty much all stores that have pharmacy's will have it. WalMart, Walgreens, KMart, Target, CVS, grocery stores all carry it in VA and probably in FL also. Most cruise lines also have it onboard. I wonder why they don't sell it in Canada. Nationalized healthcare, aka socialized medicine possibly? Hmmmm. That's a whole other story.

• 2 weeks later...
Bonine and Less Drowsy Dramamine are the same thing. Dramamine is a different formulation and more likely to make you sleepy. Pretty much all stores that have pharmacy's will have it. WalMart, Walgreens, KMart, Target, CVS, grocery stores all carry it in VA and probably in FL also. Most cruise lines also have it onboard. I wonder why they don't sell it in Canada. Nationalized healthcare, aka socialized medicine possibly? Hmmmm. That's a whole other story.

I usually wear the behind-the-ear patch, but am going to try Bonine on my cruise next week. I will start taking it early, and will take it every day. For those of you who take it more than once a day, do you take one or two each time? I'd rather be drowsy than sick. Thanks!

I went to the health food store before we left on our last cruise and bought ginger tablets. Twice I felt nauseated on our cruise, took one ginger tablet and I was fine. Thought they worked really well. Have used the scopolamine patch in the past but really like the idea of ginger being all natural.

I am definitely prone to motion sickness as I will get car sick without question unless I am driving. Additionally, I have had vertigo for the past 6 years and so going on a ship was a scary thought to me. After starting up with cruising again this year, in February my husband (an ENT) prescribed the patch, which I used without issue or side effects and I am one who is usually sensitive to medicine. I started the cruise off with a patch, felt good and went without the rest of the cruise. In May and September --- no patch needed, but brought them along just in case. In November I heard about rough waters and put my patch on the night before we left and changed it once halfway through the cruise. I didn't have an issue with it coming off, getting in my hair, etc. etc. I figured I wanted to enjoy my cruise and I have to say that I have been extremely happy with the results. On a side note and completely unrelated, my vertigo episodes are almost non-existent now and that has allowedd us to travel far more than we have in the past few years, hence all the cruises this year! I know that many have had success with ginger and I may give that a try as well in the future, but the patch was a lifesaver for me. It gave me the confidence I needed to travel without getting sick.

Ok, so motion sickness is basically mind over matter. Really, the reason you feel sick is because your body senses the motion of the ship yet your eyes do not see your environment around you moving, (everything is secured pretty well and walls don't move) so there is a mismatch. Medications do work to treat this and all of the previous advice is fair. So, pick your potion ;-) Other things that you can try is to go swimming or get into the pool. This allows your body to essentially stop moving and you feel better because you do not sense the motion in the same way. The other most important thing you can do is not concentrate on it. GET INVOLVED from the start with activities and having a good time which helps to take your mind off of it. If you worry about getting sea sick I guarantee you will. Some people have even gotten ill while the ship is still tied to the pier in a protected harbor. Most of these folks have talked themselves into it from before they ever arrived onboard. Some like to say "Dance with the ship". As she moves one way you go with her. Make a joke of it and have fun. Ever wonder why most young children don't get sea sick. Because, they bounce back and forth with the ship, moving around, laughing and playing with it. If you concentrate on the movement and watch things slide around or try to read a book, email, etc. you will get sick. Also, avoid heavy alcohol consumption. It doesn't help being intoxicated or worse hung over.

Unfortunately for me, suffering from motion sickness started as a child. I hate taking meds before I board because they always make me very sleepy (patch, bonine & Dramamine) although I do seem to do better with bonine. I leave Saturday on Oasis and think I'll try ginger this time since so many have said it works well. Also I usually take a pill just before leaving for the port and after that on an as needed basis. I can usually feel it starting to happen before it hits hard and taking something at that point usually lessens the sickness.

Anyone who says that someone talks themselves into being seasick is just plain wrong! And obviously has never been seasick. Some folks are just not prone to motion sickness and some folks are.

To the person who asked about taking Bonine-I take one in the morning and one at night and I don't get drowsy or have any other side effects. But everyone is different so I would try it before you leave to make sure you're ok with it.

Anyone who says that someone talks themselves into being seasick is just plain wrong! And obviously has never been seasick. Some folks are just not prone to motion sickness and some folks are.

To the person who asked about taking Bonine-I take one in the morning and one at night and I don't get drowsy or have any other side effects. But everyone is different so I would try it before you leave to make sure you're ok with it.

That was me--thanks! I took two last night as a test and didn't feel anything, so I think I should be fine. I am used to having the patch, so I'm a little nervous, but I hate the side effects, so I'm just going to try it.

I guess if I have to, I'll just spend the whole cruise in the swimming pool or dancing around. That should work, right? :rolleyes:

Only someone who hasn't gotten motion sickness would say that "motion sickness is basically mind over matter." That is my "funny" for the day for sure! :D

I tell people that too and have posted it on threads when someone says "if you think you won't get sick you won't." What motion sickness is your mind not understanding what your eyes are seeing and your inner ear is sensing. I get seasick and I know what it feels like and I do my absolute best to avoid it.

The patch is a problem for enough people that it is prescription only.

There also are wrist bands available, I hear they are effective, w/o sleepiness.

I use the SeaBands, they've worked every cruise. I can take Dramamine and Bonine, but both make me tired, Dramamine more so. I've heard of the side-effects of the Scopolamine patch, not to mention the Dr's office fee. Another point is that all these medications say do not take with alcohol. I like my Pina Coladas! I say try the ginger and try the seabands; yes, they're not very attractive, but they work. Around $10.00 most drugstores.

Just did a search online, there's a new product PSI bands that are a little better looking ... more money, about $16.00.

I hope you find something to help. Have a great cruise,

Judy

Actually what Bonine and Less Drowsy Dramamine say is Alcohol may increase drowsiness. It doesn't say you can't drink. It won't hurt you per se, but it can enhance sleepiness. I have no side effects at all from the meds and I do drink while I take them. Seabands DO NOT work for me at all. In fact, all they do is bug me and I have small wrists. I also take ginger root capsules.

Archived