Room Category Question for a family of 4

carolinamom24

Hi everyone.. I have a question about selecting the right room category for my family..

I hope to be traveling with my DH, DS6 and DD5 on the Independence, 2/28 -3/6. This will be our first family cruise..

I would like to get your opinions/thoughts on the right cabin size for our family. Originally, I was thinking of an interior room (cat L) for the reason of cost savings & the fact we it's sole purpose is for sleeping. But, with the ages of my kids - do you think we should upgrade to a different/higher category? I would greatly appreciate your responses..

Thanks! :)

Check the deck plans before booking....and try to book the largest cabin you can afford. RCI has some of the smallest cabins, even on the newer ships! An interior is only 152 sq. ft--a large OV will have 214 sq.ft.....that's a blessing with 4 bodies in 1 room! I don't know if your kids are still napping, but a balcony will give mom and dad someplace "to be" when the kids are sleeping, even if it's because they went to bed early...where will you be??? A balcony gives you a bit of "alone space" outside of the cabin!

Only YOU know what your budget will bear...but try and book the largest you can afford...and the deck plans will show you what type of bedding is in each cabin.

Never book without the deck plans in front of you!!!!!

It just depends on your own personal budget. Getting a balcony is great when you have younger kids because if they go to sleep early and you don't want to, then you can put them to bed and head outside.

If upgrading cuts into your ability to do excursions or have spending money, then stick with whats in your budget.

Have you seen if they have 2 connecting PR cabins? No you don't get to "go outside". But they are considered an "inside". The windows look down into the promenade so the kids can watch the parades from there. And you would have 2 cabins instead of one.

Price out both a balcony and 2 connecting PR cabins. Sometimes those balconies are so pricey that its cheaper to get 2 insides.

It just depends on your own personal budget. Getting a balcony is great when you have younger kids because if they go to sleep early and you don't want to, then you can put them to bed and head outside.

If upgrading cuts into your ability to do excursions or have spending money, then stick with whats in your budget.

Have you seen if they have 2 connecting PR cabins? No you don't get to "go outside". But they are considered an "inside". The windows look down into the promenade so the kids can watch the parades from there. And you would have 2 cabins instead of one.

Price out both a balcony and 2 connecting PR cabins. Sometimes those balconies are so pricey that its cheaper to get 2 insides.

Michele..

Great Advice on the 2 connecting PR cabins.. I have booked with our TA today!! My kids are going to love the PR cabin.. On our last cruise on the Mariner - that's what we had and we loved it!! Thanks!!

Check the deck plans before booking....and try to book the largest cabin you can afford. RCI has some of the smallest cabins, even on the newer ships! An interior is only 152 sq. ft--a large OV will have 214 sq.ft.....that's a blessing with 4 bodies in 1 room! I don't know if your kids are still napping, but a balcony will give mom and dad someplace "to be" when the kids are sleeping, even if it's because they went to bed early...where will you be??? A balcony gives you a bit of "alone space" outside of the cabin!

Only YOU know what your budget will bear...but try and book the largest you can afford...and the deck plans will show you what type of bedding is in each cabin.

Never book without the deck plans in front of you!!!!!

Definitely agree with your statement - "someplace to be when the kids are sleeping".. Thanks.. we decided on 2 PR connecting!!

Archived