Miracle Review 11/12/09

travelwitch23

Awesome cruise! Been back a few days, still trying to get organized from the trip. There were four of us on this trip. My husb and son, who shared a balcony cabin (4227) and my co-worker and friend Emma and I who shared balc cabin (4231). We drove from central florida to FLL the morning of the cruise and arrived abt 11AM after a pit stop at the Lantana McD's. We were on board after only about 40 minutes walking through the lines. Easiest embarkation ever. They have definitely streamlined the process!:D

Of course first stop was the lobby bar for a grolsch and some chit chat and staring up at the enormous atrium. Husb/son took off for the buffet for lunch. We all met up at our rooms an hour or so later to check out our balcony's, champagne, wine put away luggage etc. Another big surprise * no life jacket required * at the muster drill. It was pretty painless and "no sweat from that d*** life jacket!"

First dinner found us in a booth (188) with Luis as our waiter and Sukairta as our assistant. They were both excellent but the food delivery seemed to be very slow across the whole dining room including breakfast/lunch. This is very unusual for Carnival. My husb and son didn't attend much (maybe 3 nights) but my friend and I were there most nights. THe food was mostly good except for the baked potatoes. Don't bother ordering those as they are undercooked and cold and no amount of butter or sour cream can save them. THe maitre'd as usual made a big play for a tip; other than that we didn't see him again. We enjoyed "K" the table magician who walked around to tables and did card and magic tricks. Very personable young man!

Didn't attend the welcome aboard show, instead went for "Music Unlimited'" the phillipino band onboard the Carnival Miracle and playing at frankie and johnnie's most nights. What a treat these guys were. 45 minute sets with 14 min breaks and never (hardlyever) the same set. Their catalog was amazing encompassing 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's and even contemporary music. My friend Emma and I found a seating area off to the side of frankie and johnny's and dubbed it "the cave" It was where we sat most nights and enjoyed the band. We had fantastic servers there - ariel and dimwae - and met many pax there. My husb and son knew to look for us there.

Two glorious days at sea to relax, unwind, catch up on sleep and do whatever you wanted. Couldn't ask for more. Didn't make it to the show. Hard to stay away from "the band.:" Thoroughly enjoying the ship and the crew and the experience.

First port: Costa Rica. Awoke sadly to rain. Nothing scheduled here. Husb, emma and I got off and hired a taxi for 30 each to tour the city/countryside of costa rica. It rained the whole time. Got some decent pics of beach, banana plantation, tropical plants, etc. Interesting tour (2.5 hours) then some shopping near the port (flea market type) and a foot massage at the flea market (20 mins for $15, yeah!)

Slept the aft away then hit the deck party. Music Unlimited was playing for the deck party, brilliantly as usual. There was a low level of attendance for the deck party as it was a little breezy out and I think people were pooped from the port. Hit the sack by midnight.

Panama. Had my friend Mario booked here and of course it was a little chaotic getting up and out for our tour. Of course it was pouring out. We didn't have to get too wet to meet up with our tour guide and get in our mini-van. There were six people in our tour plus our tour guide Lori and her daughter. We rode the bus through Colon (which was very old and industrial looking) and learned that there are only 16 street and 6 avenues in colon. It is a very "concentrated" city.

We arrived at the indian canoe launching site. We took tour 7a (i think) which includes a stop at the canal to look around the observation deck (about an hour) and a visit to the embrera indian village for lunch, a snack and a hike to a waterfall for a swim. We went to the indian village first because of the rain. Luckily there was no rain on the canoe ride over to the indian village (about 30 min) but it was a little tough physically getting in and out of the canoe. Believe me if you have a little determination it is worth it and you can do it.!!!!!

Upon arrival at the indian village a little band of embrera indians was there to greet us with some of their musical instruments. It was very peaceful and serene in their village. We saw many young children (18 mos and up) playing together and running around the village. THey all seemed so well behaved it was quite amazing. We entered a sort of chickee treehouse and it began to pour. That was ok because we had a roof over us. Cold drinks were provided courteous of my friend mario. Three indian women worked on cooking our lunch over an open fire. Lunch consisted of fried tilipia and fried plaintains served on a banana leaf. Delicious! While all this was going on, the chief told us the history of his tribe through our tour guide Lori who was interpreting from spanish into english. Fascinating story and very beautiful people. After lunch and a slowdown in the rain we went to a ceremonial chickee for dancing and handicrafts. I purchased an interesting pair of bone earrings and a beaded bag and my husband purchased a necklace. We boarded the canoe, returned to the bus and proceeded to the canal. We had an hour at the canal to take pictures, videos, watch the boats go thru, etc. I would definitely recommend this tour to anyone who wants a once in a lifetime tour in panama. It is a beautiful country and this was my favorite day of the whole trip.

Second formal night. Got dressed up and went down to take formal pics at five. Got some good ones and ordered the canvas thingy. It came out very nice. The beatles show!! :eek: WHat we have been waiting for all week! Really the best show on any cruise ship and the ending is awesome! Whatever you do don't miss this!

Belize. I hurt from prev day/night so I skipped belize. Husb, friend and my son went over and did some shopping. THere were 5 ships in port and it was a zoo. glad I skipped it. They found some deals on shopping.

Spa. Here is the scoop on the spa. Go the first day and register for the raffle. They will ask you what treatment you want. Check whatever it is on the raffle ticket (massage, facial, etc). You probably won't win the free treatment (they give away one) BUT later in the week they will call you in your room and offer you a discount on the treatment that you selected on the raffle ticket. My friend emma was offered a $99 package for $69 including a facial, back and neck massage, etc. She thoroughly enjoyed her experience. My call came a few days later where I was offered the "wrap" a $259 package for $175. I took it for the next morn at 10:30am. This treatment is pure heaven and I highly recommend it for anyone male or female and the beginning or end of your cruise or both if you can swing it! The wrap consists of a green mud like full body mask while wrapped in aluminum foil like a turkey. While you are wrapped you are given a scalp massage and a foot massage. THen you shower the green mud off and receive a one hour full body massage. It left me energized for days. THanks to Nicola! Excellent spa therapist:D

Unfortunately our last night of the cruise came. Packing seemed to take forever then it was time for our last dinner with Luis and our last night with Music unlimited. Want to go on the miracle again in 2010 but havent booked it yet. Was very sad friday night at home thinking about the new crop of cruisers on "my ship" boo hoo

kim

It's about time! I've been waiting for a review of this itinerary for ages. We leave in less than three weeks! :p

We go to Panama first (where I'm booked with Mario for the A-1, but it sounds like your tour). Then we go to Costa Rica, where we're booked with Charlie Soto. Belize, I'm going to do Carnival's Altun Ha and River Wallace just because I've heard too many stories about nearly missing the last tender using independent tours.

We had Music Manila as the band 2 years ago and we loved them. I loved the Ticket to Ride show, too. In fact, I haven't been to a show on a cruise since that Miracle cruise, but I plan to see that again in a few weeks.

DD & I now register for the spa drawings and go to the drawing if it doesn't conflict with anything else. On Victory, I received a "2nd chance drawing winner" notice and got a facial for $49! Our last day, we were back on board fairly early, and they were passing out the other discount coupons, so I booked DD & I both for facials. I think hers was $69. I don't normally do spa treatments because of the cost (I can get better usually for less at home), but those really were a good deal. And after 6 straight days in port, it was a nice, relaxing time on our last afternoon.

Thanks for sharing. I'm starting to get excited and am even considering making my packing list! :D

Oh, come on, SD! After that thread about the Behind the Fun tour, I was expecting pages and pages of review.

You guys are killing me! :p

I don't want to do self-disembark. I hate the mob scene and don't like being run over by kids trying to pull cases that are bigger than they are and people cramming into already-full elevators.

But I booked an 11:10 flight! Yikes! Silly me thought we were supposed to arrive at 7, but then I looked at my docs and they say 8 am. Of course, 2 years ago when we had a 2:20 pm flight, we were at the airport and through security by 10:30, and we had #11 tag numbers.

This will be my 1st Platinum cruise. I believe that I'll get a low # to disembark. If I don't, I guess I'll do the self thing. I've gotten into the habit of trying to be one of the last people off, but won't have that luxury this time. Boo hoo.

Archived