A different cell phone type question

Texas Stalker

Im going to be taking my cell with me on my cruise. I know that Verizon is covered and the ship has a tower on board.

I have searched threads here but have not seen calling cards discussed.

Does it make a difference calling a toll free calling card from your cell or is it pretty much the same charge?

Thanks!

Im going to be taking my cell with me on my cruise. I know that Verizon is covered and the ship has a tower on board.

I have searched threads here but have not seen calling cards discussed.

Does it make a difference calling a toll free calling card from your cell or is it pretty much the same charge?

Thanks!

Same charge. You will use the non-Verizon cell equipment on the ship and pay their rate. Reports are in the neighborhood of $2.49/min.

Actually, you will end up paying more. You will have to pay for the discounted time on the calling card, and you still have to pay the basic roaming charge to your service provider.

By the way, for those frugal cruisers trying to save a buck using the calling cards on their cabin telephones, you will have the same problem.

Even though the discount calling card uses a toll free number, there is no such thing as toll free on a satellite call. As a result, you end up paying the calling card for their discounted time, as well as paying the ship for the satellite time on your cabin telephone.

I can use my Verizon phone at some ports with no roaming charge. Which ports are you going to?

Many people get phone cards at the ports they go to. That is much cheaper. Your waiters will know where the good deals are for your ports.

Archived