Dolphin Swim

thumper860

We're thinking of swimming with the dolphins in Curaco and are looking for information with respect to "ship" tours versus arranging something when we arrive in port. If you have had the opportunity to swim with the dolphins how was your experience.:)

Thanks

We are planning to do the Dolphin Swim during our December 13-23 cruise. It is done through the Curacao Dolphin Academy at the Aquarium. Info on the program is at:http://www.dolphin-academy.com/eng/dolphinprog.html and includes a dolphin encounter in which you stand in the water and touch the dolphins and the dolphin swim in which you swim around with the dolphins in the lagoon for ~ 30 minutes.

The costs are: Dolphin Encounter ($79 pp direct or $149 through HAL) and Dolphin Swim ($159 pp direct or $259 pp through HAL). As far as I can tell, the only advantages for booking through HAL are: transportation is provided to and from the ship, the ship will not leave without you, HAL has some liability in case of problems, and if they change itinerary you will get a full refund from HAL. On the minus side, they only offer one time slot if you go with HAL and the whole excursion is likely to take at least twice as long as if you did it direct through the Dolphin Academy. I do not know what happens to your payment direct to Dolphin Academy if the cruise itinerary changes.

They suggest booking at least a week in advance on their website, so I would be careful about waiting until you get to Curacao and hoping there is availability, especially if there are other ships in port.

- Ike

We're thinking of swimming with the dolphins in Curaco and are looking for information with respect to "ship" tours versus arranging something when we arrive in port. If you have had the opportunity to swim with the dolphins how was your experience.:)

Thanks

Thanks to the CC members I am doing the Dolphin Swim through the Dolphin Academy ittself!!

On HAL's excursion the price for the swim is $249. Through the Acaemy it is $159. The Dolphin Encounter is $129. through HAL and only $79. through the Academy.

I have already booked the Swim and as mentioned you need to do ASAP because they only allow a certain amount of people once every 3 hours beginning at 8 a.m., 11 a.m. and 2 p.m.

If you want to see what is available here is the link: http://www.dolphin-academy.com/eng/dolphinprog.html

Joanie

The Dolphin Academy website indicates that if you are arriving by cruise ship you must book through the ship excursions. Did you have any problems when you booked?

Thanks very much,

No I had no problems at all. I did not mention that I was on a ship. Sorry, should have remembered that warning I had received a few weeks ago from another CC'r who'd done the excursion and specifically stated DO NOT TELL THEM YOU ARE ON A CRUISE.

Can you point me to the url that states about cruise ship passengers? My husband does not believe me and I cannot find it on their site....

Joanie

No I had no problems at all. I did not mention that I was on a ship. Sorry, should have remembered that warning I had received a few weeks ago from another CC'r who'd done the excursion and specifically stated DO NOT TELL THEM YOU ARE ON A CRUISE.

Can you point me to the url that states about cruise ship passengers? My husband does not believe me and I cannot find it on their site....

Joanie

You have to actually go through the booking exercise to get the link that says -- Cruise Passenger Click Here. That's when it says you have to book through the ship.

This is before you give them any personal information.

You have to actually go through the booking exercise to get the link that says -- Cruise Passenger Click Here. That's when it says you have to book through the ship.

This is before you give them any personal information.

They never asked the question when I booked a couple weeks ago on the phone. And I did not volunteer that info. Just gave them my name, home address, phone and Cell phone info and of course credit card.

I am booked for 11 a.m. on 18 February 2010 for the Dolphin Swim.

Joanie

Thanks everyone for your input.

Will look forward to hearing about your experience you return, Joanie.

You are quite welcome thumper860. And believe me I will post it!! This along with cruising to Alaska has been a pipedream since I was a preteen:) And Alaska has now come true twice:D

Joanie

Archived