Toddler snorkeling?

leighi123

My family has been snorkeling ever sense we were little kids, my dad and I also scuba dive, but this is the first time we will have my son with us.

He will be almost 2.5, and can swim really well/holds his breath with his eyes opened under water (never had floats or anything)

But I doubt he will be able to figure out how to breathe through a snorkel.

Can he still go and wear a mask or goggles or something?

Does any place have those boogie board things with windows in them? (or does anyone know where we can buy one? We live in florida and are driving to port)

And the age limits for snorkeling... is there anywhere we can go that will bypass that? (if we just go to those snorkel spots on our own not through the cruise?) - Seems like the minimum age is 8 but I remember using a snorkel at like 3-4yrs old, I still have my mask and it is sooo tiny!

I think he would really enjoy it, Im just trying to figure out how he can participate in that.

most cruise sponsored excursions will put an age limit on snorkeling/swimming.

Although, I don't think I ever introduced my kids to snorkeling under the age of 4... I think I tried with the eldest... aboard a Disney cruise.

#1 The snorkels mouthpieces are made for adults...especially the rental ones

#2 The first time I stuck him in the water with a snorkel, he did what kids normally do... doggy paddled with his head bent upward (and the tip of the snorkel in the water)...

It was a bad first experience

Although.. my youngest now is 5... and she was GREAT! We brought our our snorkel gear for them (Costco-of course)... smaller mouthpiece for them, better fitting mask...

We went to Stingray City... and she just took off!

11434_1246171483564_1507726387_30674425_2463741_n.jpg

I was so proud (and amazed)!

But yeah... she's 5.... and smart...

Too smart (I'm in trouble)

We have been snorkeling several times with my kids in the Carribean. Though my youngest was 5 when we went this summer, and swims on a swim team, and had played with the mask and snorkel in the tub and pool, the open ocean is a whole different thing with the current and waves.

But, you can find excursions (look up Blackbeard's in the Bahamas, Chankanaab in Cozumel and Goff Caye in Belize for example) that would allow you to snorkel from the beach- bring your own stuff for the kids. The kids are allowed on the "excursions" because they are beach based with a snorkeling option. Each of these places had more sheltered areas off the shore that were much easier to snorkel in.

Hope that helps!

Thanks!

When I went snorkeling as a kid we would just go from the beach to a calm spot. Ds naturally swims with his face in the water, eyes open, holding his breath (he took ISR swimming lessons), but thats why I dont think he 'gets' breathing IN through his mouth when under water (he breathes out just fine!), I do have a kids size snorkel set that fits him so we will try again, but I think I'll get the raft too, that will be fun for him and we will use it at home anyways (we live in florida), I think he is going to have fun!

glad you liked it :) good luck!

we might be in deep water and though ds can swim some, it is recent and i wanted him to be comfofortable and i thought the full raft might help

have fun!

True, I picked the smaller on b/c my ds is super tiny, I dont think he could handle the big one, I figured I could get his lifejacket if he got tired of swimming (we are bringing it anyway)

I'm ordering xmas presents from amazon anyway so I'm just adding this on! :)

The title of this thread caught my eye. I just wanted to post to all you parents who have their kids swimming or at least introduced to the water at a young age that I think what you're doing is absolutely terrific :)

The title of this thread caught my eye. I just wanted to post to all you parents who have their kids swimming or at least introduced to the water at a young age that I think what you're doing is absolutely terrific :)

:D thanks! My son was in the water from the time he was a newborn, we live in FL so water safety is a must!

I grew up overseas and was in water all the time, my mom said I could swim before I could walk!

Here is my little guy, in september (he was mad at me b/c he wanted to see himself on the camera, thats why he is complaining, but you can see when he gets to the step how he doesnt mind his fae in the water, he can swim across our pool easily and swims in the ocean just fine too, and his float has improved A LOT sense I took this video, he has had a 'refresher' course sense then)

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u218/leighi123/baby/Sept%202009/?action=view&current=MOV02246.flv

I cant get it to embed in the thread so you will have to click it!

thanks halos

my son has NO fear of the water, so i decided to get him swim lessons as early as they were offered. he has REALLY taken to it. i think it's awesome, i gre up afraid of the water and didn;t want that for him. and of course i want him to be safe!

Archived