would like some info about going to Tulum/Mayan ruins

kahliasmom

My 8 year old daughter and I will be in Cozumel on Jan 1, 2010 when there will be about six other ships in port. We definately want to see the Mayan ruins in the city of Tulum. It is $100 each when booking it with the ship. I feel more comfortable booking it with the ship, especially since there will be so many ships in port that day, but I am interested in finding out if I could book this on my own and save some $. I would appreciate any information that anyone can give me. Thanks.

From Cozumel, it's a very long day.

You must take the ferry over to the mainland. Then a bus to the ruins. It's been quite awhile, but I think the bus ride was around 1 1/2 hours. Of course, you have to do the reverse coming back.

You could take the ferry on your own and rent a car in Playa Del Carmen and drive yourself. I'd be very nervous doing this, especially with a young child. What if you had car trouble??? Got lost??

I'm a big advocate of non-ship excursions, but this is one I'd do through the ship.

I would also do this through the ship. We did this tour in 06. It was a half hour or so ferry ride to Playa de Carmen and over an hour on the bus. The bus did stop 1/2 way for a potty break and allowed some time to browse in the gift shop. We had about 2 hours at Tulum and then an hour or so to shop in Playa before catching the ferry back to the ship. It was a full day and I think your daughter would enjoy it.

I just finished researching this possibility for myself and figured out that it would be way too risky. You'd need to plan on a minimum of two hours travel time each way (ship to ferry, ferry to Playa, Playa to Tulum), and hope the ferry schedule cooperates. In the morning, ferries leave at 5:00, 7:00, 9:00, 10:00 and noon. Return times in the afternoon are 1:00, 3:00, 5:00 and 6:00. The ferry ride is about 45 minutes, and the drive to Tulum from Playa is over an hour.

Just did this excursion a couple of weeks ago. I wouldnt risk an independent tour especially with a child. I'm an independent tour advocate but not on this one. Also, be sure and bring lots of sunscreen and water. It is very, very hot there. I'm a Southern Californian used to heat and love warm weather vacations but found it even a bit warm for me. You do quite a bit of walking as well.

My 8 year old daughter and I will be in Cozumel on Jan 1, 2010 when there will be about six other ships in port. We definately want to see the Mayan ruins in the city of Tulum. It is $100 each when booking it with the ship. I feel more comfortable booking it with the ship, especially since there will be so many ships in port that day, but I am interested in finding out if I could book this on my own and save some $. I would appreciate any information that anyone can give me. Thanks.

We took the tour through NCL last February. We got back to the ship with absolutly no time to spare. None the less, It was one of the greatest experiences we've ever had and I highly recommend it. Here is a little taste of what you can expect:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/575026950ZMwSlV

http://travel.webshots.com/album/575028850ZfdOAC

http://travel.webshots.com/album/575029548HZHPDt __________________

Archived