Walking or On-off Trolley

orchards

We'll be on Holland American Rydam in Jan arriving Key West and 1PM and leaving 6PM.

We'd like to just see area, maybe Hemingway's and Truman houses (from outside), sample Key Lime Pie, visit Hemingway's "favorite bar" and just explore.

-I understand that it is just short distance from docks to town. True?

-Figuring about 3 hours to see and sample, is town small enough to walk around versus taking the on-off trolley (about $30/person)?

-Anyone know name of Hemingway's "favorite bar' and his drink of choice?

-For key lime pie, I'm considering either Blond Giraffe or La Dinochosa. Both convenient walks?

Thanks.

:)

If you are in pretty good condition, I would say walk and save yourself the cost of the trolley.

Hemingway's favorite bar was Sloppy Joe's on Duval although he did hang out at Captain Tony's early on. He was known to drink Cuban-style mojitos, daiquiris, absinthe and martinis. Which he prefered, I can't say. Both Sloppy Joe's and Capt Tony's are close to the ship docks.

Blonde Giraffe is my favorite place for key lime pie and Kermitt's. I don't know La Dichosa. Maybe I should try it too next time I am in Key West.

I agree with HeavySurf, just walk.

And La Dichosa Bakery was sold a couple of years back and subsequently close. I am not sure if it has reopened but it was on White St which would be quite a hike from the cruise piers.

Mike:)

Hemingway's father became obcessed with losing a limb to diabetes. That, and financial loses on Florida land speculating, drove him to kill himself. Hemingway has always concerned that he would inherit his father's illness and so never ate or drank anything with sugar in it.

Anyway...

"We have an ice-box that runs across the stern of the boat [the Anita,

"Sloppy" Joe Russel's boat, not Hemingway's Pilar] with bait iced down

on one side and beer and fruits on the other. The best bait for big

marlin is fresh cero mackerel or kingfish of a pound to three pounds

weight. The best beer is Hatuey, the best fruits, in season, are

Filipino mangoes, iced pineaple, and alligator pears. Ordinarily we

eat alligator pears for lunch with a sandwich, fixing them with pepper

and salt and a freshly squeezed lime. When we run into the beach to

anchor, swim, and cook a hot lunch on hot days when fish are not

running, you can make a French dressing for the pears, adding a little

mustard. You can get enough fine, big avacados to feed five people for

fifteen cents."

El Meson de Pepe sopmetimes has Hatuey in bottles, and you cold try a Papa Doble.

Pjk

Another great way to cover a lot of ground - rent bicycles. You can do this in advance by doing a search on Key West or there are many rental places when you get off the ship. You can see most of the island in a very short period of time.

There are bike racks all over town so you can lock the bikes and tour the Hemingway house, Truman WHitehouse or have lunch at Sloppy Joes.

I would take the trolley that way you get to learn about the island in addition to seeing it. Plus, they have a money-back guarantee so it's a no-brainer. You'll get a great overview of the island then have time to explore on your own. Go to Kermit's (Green & Elizabeth Sts.) for Key Lime Pie, it's the best and he's a nice guy to boot.

Kermit_11-05.jpg

• 1 month later...
The Blond Giraffe's Key Lime Pie on a Stick is THE BEST!!!! If I remember correctly, they have a couple of locations in KW.

I can't wait to have some in a couple of weeks from now. :)

FYI... The Blonde Giraffe no longer makes their pies in Key West. The pies they sell in KW are shipped down from their factory in Pompano.

Archived