I'm so mad at my....!!!

cod

gallbladder. I booked the ES rate for the 12/7 sailing on the Triumph way back in May. Since then I've spent much time looking for price reductions and have secured 3 for a total of a $140 OBC.

Quickly, as I don't want any TMI comments out there, I've had some stomach pains for a couple of weeks. Tuesday afternoon I decided 'enough' and went to my doctor. He scheduled an ultrasound for Wednesday which showed a huge gallstone. I ran a picture by my doctors office and he called me later saying - were it him - he would cancel the trip and that he'll schedule an appointment with a surgeon (next week I'm sure what with the holiday weekend being involved).

MY dilemma...it was Wednesday before Thanksgiving so that left everything up in the air. I did not buy trip insurance this time and so I was still in the 50% refund phase but by Monday (tomorrow) I would lose a 100%. So I cancelled that day..boo-hoo.

One more observation. I booked through an online agency and I'm in awe over their service. They were extremely helpful and nice through my price drop calls and then securing the obc's for me. When I called them Wednesday afternoon to cancel they had me on hold while checking with Carnival about a refund amount. It was more than I (or they) expected but the person I was talking to said she even verified it with a CCL supervisor. My next step was to fill out the cancellation form they emailed to me and fax it back. An hour I got a call from the agency (a different person) saying that Carnival told her they'd made a mistake and my refund would be less. Sobeit. I emailed the first person I'd talked to and told her the final outcome (I was not upset, it wasn't her fault!) and thanked her for all her help. A couple of hours later she wrote back that she'd contacted CCL again and got it changed back to what they'd originally told her!! I could not believe it. I thought it was a done-deal when - unbeknowst to me - someone was still arguing with CCL on my behalf.

Many feel that the best way to book is directly with Carnival but I've always thought it couldn't hurt to have someone else on your side.

Well, that's my tale. I hope I didn't put anyone to sleep!

In addition, I guess this is a testimonial for trip insurance. I get it about half the time, depending on how long a trip it is and whether flights are involved etc. It's money I just hate to spend but will from now on.

BTW, I haven't even felt a twinge since my doctor's visit Tuesday...grrrrr.

gallbladder. I booked the ES rate for the 12/7 sailing on the Triumph way back in May. Since then I've spent much time looking for price reductions and have secured 3 for a total of a $140 OBC.

Quickly, as I don't want any TMI comments out there, I've had some stomach pains for a couple of weeks. Tuesday afternoon I decided 'enough' and went to my doctor. He scheduled an ultrasound for Wednesday which showed a huge gallstone. I ran a picture by my doctors office and he called me later saying - were it him - he would cancel the trip and that he'll schedule an appointment with a surgeon (next week I'm sure what with the holiday weekend being involved).

MY dilemma...it was Wednesday before Thanksgiving so that left everything up in the air. I did not buy trip insurance this time and so I was still in the 50% refund phase but by Monday (tomorrow) I would lose a 100%. So I cancelled that day..boo-hoo.

One more observation. I booked through an online agency and I'm in awe over their service. They were extremely helpful and nice through my price drop calls and then securing the obc's for me. When I called them Wednesday afternoon to cancel they had me on hold while checking with Carnival about a refund amount. It was more than I (or they) expected but the person I was talking to said she even verified it with a CCL supervisor. My next step was to fill out the cancellation form they emailed to me and fax it back. An hour I got a call from the agency (a different person) saying that Carnival told her they'd made a mistake and my refund would be less. Sobeit. I emailed the first person I'd talked to and told her the final outcome (I was not upset, it wasn't her fault!) and thanked her for all her help. A couple of hours later she wrote back that she'd contacted CCL again and got it changed back to what they'd originally told her!! I could not believe it. I thought it was a done-deal when - unbeknowst to me - someone was still arguing with CCL on my behalf.

Many feel that the best way to book is directly with Carnival but I've always thought it couldn't hurt to have someone else on your side.

In addition, I guess this is a testimonial for trip insurance. I get it about half the time, depending on how long a trip it is and whether flights are involved etc. It's money I just hate to spend but will from now on.

My DH had a gallstone once.. Painfull.. But I think I would have still went on the cruise.. But that is just me...

I really did consider that. If I had just found all this out a week earlier and had a chance to talk to talk to the surgeon about it I think I might have chanced it, especially since I feel pretty normal now.

AND if I'd purchased trip insurance so that if the worst did happen I'd be covered, that would have made a difference too!

But the deciding factor was being so close to losing 100%. I'm satisfied with what I will be getting back under the circumstances.

I really did consider that. If I had just found all this out a week earlier and had a chance to talk to talk to the surgeon about it I think I might have chanced it, especially since I feel pretty normal now.

AND if I'd purchased trip insurance so that if the worst did happen I'd be covered, that would have made a difference too!

But the deciding factor was being so close to losing 100%. I'm satisfied with what I will be getting back under the circumstances.

That is true as well. I wish you luck!

I just recently learned my lesson about travel insurance as well. I was scheduled to cruise on NCL Dawn on 10/11. I had even upgraded to an Owner's Suite as a suprise for our anniversary. On Oct 1 I had an asthma attack that was mistreated at the first hospital I went to (long story). By the time I went to another hospital my symptoms were much worse and the thought of missing my trip made the situation much worse. I was admitted for 4 days and treated for both the asthma and my anxiety over possibly missing the cruise. Luckily, with the help of Xanax, I was able to take my cruise but I never really calmed down until I was aboard the ship. I will never book without travel insurance again!

Get the gallbladder taken care of. Gallbladder attacks are brought on by eating fatty foods. Do you think you would enjoyt he cruise experience being afraid to eat the delicious food? And You might have an attack on the ship, which could be very expensive. The surgery should be minor, probably an outpatient procedure. You will feel so much better afterward! EM (retired nurse)

Harleycat, I'm glad you were able to go on your cruise and hope you're fine now. And Essiesmom, yes they told me no dairy products or fried food and cutting both out may be why I feel so much better...but, as you say, I would have had to be pretty mindful of what I was eating on board and perhaps a little paranoid in the process.

We are booked on an April NCL cruise so I'm consoling myself by thinking about it. And yes, I bought insurance right after booking that one (it's 12 nights and involves flying back to MS from Boston) so that it would cover anything that might be considered pre-existing. After that, I'm going to reset my sites on the Triumph which, by all accounts so far, is a popular replacement for the Fantasy.

COD... while waiting for your surgery date.. you might also want to keep in mind the BRAT diet.. bananas, rice applesauce and toast... I had mine out almost 20 years ago the old fashioned scar up and down the chest/stomach area... it doesnt matter how big the scar i was so miserable i was begging them to take that thing out.. my daughter was 6 weeks old when I had it removed.. never felt better!!!!!!!!! Good luck to you and happy traveling when you do get to go.. WISE WISE choice to cancel!!

Full blown gallbladder attack on a ship would be horrible. Even worse, your stone could become lodged and give you Pancreatitis -- making for a hospital stay in a different country. You did the right thing cancelling (I know it's terrible to have to cancel). Just get the surgery asap (you'll feel so much better and the surgery isn't too bad).

So sorry you had to cancel.

That is such a bummer! I had issues with my gallbladder about 15 years ago right before a vacation (land based not cruise). Lucky for me they were able to get me right in. I was eligible for the laparoscopic (sp)? surgery and was healed in time to go on vacation. I agree with a previous poster who stated that having a bad attack on a ship would not be something I would want to deal with and would probably be worried about it the whole cruise.

Hope you get your health back to normal and re-schedule your cruise soon.

One more observation. I booked through an online agency and I'm in awe over their service. They were extremely helpful and nice through my price drop calls and then securing the obc's for me. and thanked her for all her help.

r.

Can I ask which company? The last 2 I booked directly with Carnival (the first was a last min-ish trip that I booked with a random company) thinking that was the only way to get the ES rates (and OBC when the rates go down)--but I am seeing that this is a wrong assumption.

So sorry you has to cancel your cruise cod! Its so ironic that I read your post because I was just diagnosed with a gall stone as well. My cruise leaves on January 3rd. They told me that I could wait until after the trip and just watch my diet. I was like YEAH RIGHT! On a cruise?? Thats the whole point! I was also worried about something going really wrong in a foreign country as well. So I get to have my surgery on December 7th. They assure me that I should be fine in time for the trip. I guess I'm really lucky that this happened with just enough time to get it taken care of. Thanks for reminding me that it could always be worse. I hope you get your trip rescheduled and that you do great with your surgery!:)

Thank you all for your positive comments and good wishes.

And to you, cruisingsoon88, good luck with your 12/7 surgery! According to the time frame I'm hearing from those that have been through it, you should be just fine for your 1/3 trip.

Also, am I allowed to say who I booked through? I never have but it seems I've read that that is a BIG no-no on these boards. Yes?

It is a big no no to say the travel agent/agency name.

On another note, if you would have chanced it nothing may have happened. Then again, you could have been like me and had a stone lodged in your bile duct and need emergency surgery so better safe than sorry. Just think without insurance if you would have gone and needed to be medivac'd out for surgery.

I lived w/ a bad gallbladder for 8/9 years. I did go on 1 cruise & we were in port at San Juan & had a terrible attack :eek:. I did make it back to the ship & my cabin, where i just waited for the pain to subside. Im a stubborn person & when I finally had 1 really bad attack , I went to the ER, spent 5 days in hospital due to Pancreatis(sp?) then FINALLY had the surgery. BEST day of my life! I cant believe I lived w/ that pain for so many years!!!

Have the surgery, then see if theres a last minute cruise you can book.:)

Harleycat, I'm glad you were able to go on your cruise and hope you're fine now. And Essiesmom, yes they told me no dairy products or fried food and cutting both out may be why I feel so much better...but, as you say, I would have had to be pretty mindful of what I was eating on board and perhaps a little paranoid in the process.

We are booked on an April NCL cruise so I'm consoling myself by thinking about it. And yes, I bought insurance right after booking that one (it's 12 nights and involves flying back to MS from Boston) so that it would cover anything that might be considered pre-existing. After that, I'm going to reset my sites on the Triumph which, by all accounts so far, is a popular replacement for the Fantasy.

Thanks, I'm much better. I really do believe the attack was complicated by anxiety. I've had asthma a long time. It usually only flares up when I have an underlying condition like a cold or upper respiratory infection. I've never had to be hospitalized for it. It's a pain now because I have to have my left knee replaced in January and I'm going to have to see a pulmonologist. My surgeon want clearance from a pulmonologist before the surgery.

I hope everything goes well for you and you're back on your feet and cruising in no time!

i had my gallbladder removed and was 100% fine after 2 days. i would have gone on the cruise

I had my gallbladder out via the laparoscopic method many years ago, when it was being first pioneered. Even in its infancy before doctors got really good at it, I had the same experience as you. Could have easily cruised right away.

If one is lucky enough to be able to have a laparoscopic cholecystectomy vs. open surgery, life resumes as before within a day or two.

I had a very similar thing happen to me back in 2006 2 1/2 weeks before our cruise. I was able to get into the surgeon right away and he did surgery 7 days before our cruise. He told me I would be fine to go on the cruise so off we went was sore the first 5 days after the surgery but 10 days after the surgery I was horseback riding and never felt better. Good luck!!!

Archived